Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Support broad in U.S. for public healthcare option
 geeleebee
Msg: 236 (view)

Support broad in U.S. for public healthcare option
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:48:57 AM

One has to remember that opposing the legislation can work two ways, with those supporting it feeling it doesn't go far enough. We've seen many Americans on the left here state exactly that.

Exactly.

This bill didn't go far enough--and that was to appease those on the other side of the aisle. Way to spite your face by cutting off your nose. Makes a lot of sense, right?
 geeleebee
Msg: 15 (view)

Student lending part of healthcare bill?
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:45:25 AM
I do love me some madfiddler...

Why are people so determined to scare themselves to death?
Why is it so important to a lunatic few to make this president the Anti-Christ?

Community service is a high school graduation requirement where I work--it's a good thing.
Thinking of one's city/town as a community ,rather than a place where strangers live, is also a good thing.

There is nothing ultrasubversive in HCR--stop trying to force that paranoid peg into a sane bill.
 geeleebee
Msg: 115 (view)

VP Joe Biden.... Oops I did it Again... He opened his mouth!
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:53:39 AM

Biden told his dinnermates about the existence of a secret bunker under the old U.S. Naval Observatory...

As with all hearsay, there is another side to the story.

According to Elizabeth Alexander, Biden's spokeswoman:"What the vice president described in his comments was not - as some press reports have suggested - an underground facility, but rather, an upstairs workspace in the residence, which he understood was frequently used by Vice President Cheney and his aides.

"That workspace was converted into an upstairs guestroom when the Bidens moved into the residence,'' Alexander said. "There was no disclosure of classified information.''

It's a bit like believing in every poll that proves a particular perspective: it isn't always as it seems.
 geeleebee
Msg: 5 (view)

Man Arrested For Death Threats Against Cantor..
Posted: 3/30/2010 6:50:53 AM
Cantor reamed the Democrats for bringing random acts of hate to the fore, then he stepped up to the dais and in utter hypocritical fashion did the very thing he'd just castigated the Democrats for doing.

He took a random incident that happened in a building in which he has an office--NOT his office, mind you, painted a target on his ass, and made a speech about how he'd been victimized.

This is different from the Democrats--how?

Cantor is a hypocrite.
 geeleebee
Msg: 112 (view)

Posted: 3/30/2010 6:21:36 AM
There is a big difference between the words "technical Boss" and the words...used in msg 113....

Obama is not a 'technical' boss or a 'technical' president.
He is the 'in fact' president--which has what to do with this topic?

Some just jump to conclusions about what comes/came out of a President's and/or VP's mouth without even totally checking their information . Currently with most President's and VP's, including Joseph Biden there is You Tube.

'You Tube'?

..."President of the Senate", though convention does not give him too much real power over what the senate actually passes when there is a tie, just as the president can't do think like fire the VP without just legislative cause and approval.

Yes; you can find that information in any high school civics text book.
How is this relevant to the president being a 'technical' boss, and/or how is it relevant to this topic?

We find in the constitution the VP is given 3 formal duties/roles

Uh, yeah. Ask any high school sophomore about the duties of the president and vice president--they can give you all of that information. And?

In looking at Joseph Biden as Vice President his role has varied from other VPs and while in office, just as his formal and informal relationship with the president has.

And?
Basically--so, what?
What IS your point?

Prior to being chosen as the Vice Presidential Candidate Joseph Biden opened his mouth a whole lot about the president with some not too positive comments.

Go back a few years to the McCain/Bush campaigns--you'll find evidence of some of the ugliest 'not too positive comments' in American political history.
Again--what is your point?

You used the term 'technical boss'.
I am asking for clarification, not a list of synonyms and not a dissertation of the vice president's duties.
What did you mean when you said 'technical boss'?
 geeleebee
Msg: 109 (view)

Posted: 3/29/2010 9:29:31 PM

Dang = I thought everyone knew that he was the duly elected and sworn president of our country. Don't think I saw any posts in any threads , except msg 113 in this thread saying anything about "technical" President.

Dang.
I do know who Obama is. And I know what he isn't--he isn't the 'technical' president.

Barack Hussein Obama was duly sworn in as president on January 20, 2009 by Chief Justice of the United States John G. Roberts, Jr. in Washington, D.C.

Really.

On January 20, 2009 Joseph Robinette Biden was also properly sworn in and by Associate Justice John Paul Stevens as Vice President of our country.

Huh. Go figure.

As to the relationship between the president and vice president that seems to change depending on who one talks to, what administration one is talking about and if they are on the campaign trail.

You are the only one who seems to question who the president is.

Joseph Biden has been heard referring to the president formally and informally as his boss, his friend, his partner, Mr. President and I assume others could add to this list.

And?

Following are just a couple of the remarks Joseph Biden has made regarding the president.

Fascinating trip down memory lane.

Your point?
 geeleebee
Msg: 93 (view)

Posted: 3/25/2010 8:19:21 PM

...because his foots seems to enter a few too many times...

His 'foots'?

Joe Biden might sound like a dope once in a while, but he is far from the incompetent that some would make him out to be.

Vice President Dan Quayle:

"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system"
 geeleebee
Msg: 293 (view)

The Obama Administration...
Posted: 3/25/2010 6:42:38 PM
All of the Attorneys General who filed suit, with the exception of one, are Republican.
The one Democrat AG is from Louisiana--who's the Governor? Bobby "Mr. Rogers" Jindal, who asked his AG to join the suit.

Washington State's Governor Gregoire is furious with our AG, and she will not step back quietly. There is going to be some serious fallout over this--our AG doesn't have a majority of the population backing him, the governor is not taking this lying down, and the suit is a slap in the face of those who cannot afford health care.

What a shame.
 geeleebee
Msg: 86 (view)

Posted: 3/24/2010 2:10:48 PM

Wow! I am amazed! You have stated that you have no problem with the "F" word? Wow! I guess it will not bother you if teachers use it in a class with 1st graders. Lol. Since it is not a bad word it should obviously be allowed on the cartoon network?

You don't like the 'f' word.
I hate hyperbole.

You really can't see the distinction between saying something sotto voce, which got picked up by a microphone, and saying the 'f' word in front of first-graders? Really?

To address the rest of your hyperbolic post:
I didn't say anything about it not being a 'bad word'.
Nothing was said by me about allowing it on the Cartoon Network.

As to your standards:
Assigning the adjective 'vulgar' to the 'f' word is your standard. It isn't shared by all.
If you want the light to shine on our leaders, better pack a lunch--gonna be a long wait.

What 'foundation' was destroyed?
Who decides the 'standards' you're so upset about?

Biden made a comment that he thought was private--he didn't grab the mike and shout it out to the nation.
 geeleebee
Msg: 215 (view)

Support broad in U.S. for public healthcare option
Posted: 3/23/2010 9:04:40 PM

I know I just can't wait for it all to kick in. I have a couple of grandchildren who will finally be able to have insurance.

I have friends who will finally be able to take their medication as the doctor prescribed. Also, they will no longer have to decide whether or not to buy medication or food.

And THOSE are some of the reasons we needed this bill.
Complaining because Obama didn't wait five days to sign this bill is really petty.
 geeleebee
Msg: 259 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2010 9:02:19 PM

Mike Vanderboegh of Sipsey Street Irregulars (it's a militia group) is taking credit for inspiring the vandalism, saying that he’s urging people to break Democratic offices’ windows. He insists that he’s not advocating violence.

This guy is as luntic and he's a liar. He is actively advocating that people arm themselves, and he is encouraging the violence.

All this because most of us want to give every citizen of the United States health care at a reasonable cost.

Imagine if we'd asked for something REALLY outrageous.
 geeleebee
Msg: 78 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2010 8:59:04 PM

I will not defend one persons use of the F word in public by pointing out that someone else has spoken the same word. Let Biden apologize and learn to shut up. "Duh . . . . I was right next to a mike . . .Duh . . and I didn't know mikes amplify what you say . . .Duh. . . .

No one expects you to defend anyone else.
I'm pointing out that Biden's use of the 'f' word is not the first time it's been uttered by a politician and it won't be the last.

This is the problem with America that I was speaking of. When someone does something that they know is wrong, and everyone knows it's wrong. No one wants them to face up to it. They want to defend them and point out that its happened before. Can you imagine telling a police officer. "Yes. . .I was speeding, but someone else was seen speeding on this road before, so it's okay"It doesn't work like that. When a politician screws up this badly, then say so.
Don't defend them just because you share their ideology. Hold them to standards. It would be wonderful if the folks who monitor these things would slap a huge fine on Biden. Then anyone else who chooses to use expletives on tv during family time, slap a huge fine on them as well. I don't care if they are black, white, green, purple, dem., Rep, Ind., male, female, straight, gay, or any other thing you can think of. Hold them to standards. Come on America! It's time to set examples for our children.

One problem I think we have in America are people who insist that what they believe is wrong, we should ALL believe is wrong.
I don't mind the 'f' word--I am not offended by its use.
Not 'everyone knows it's wrong'. YOU think it's wrong.
Biden didn't screw up 'this badly'. He said the 'f' word--no one died.

As for having standards--one of the standards I have is not attacking a country that didn't attack me. Now THAT is a standard we need to uphold for our children.
 geeleebee
Msg: 256 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2010 5:22:11 PM
For those who love polls, this is from USAToday:

WASHINGTON — Americans by 9 percentage points have a favorable view of the health care overhaul that President Obama signed into law Tuesday, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, a notable turnaround from surveys before the vote that showed a plurality against it.

By 49%-40% those surveyed say it was "a good thing" rather than a bad one that Congress passed the bill. Half describe their reaction in positive terms, as "enthusiastic" or "pleased," while about four in 10 describe it in negative ways, as "disappointed" or "angry."

The largest single group, 48%, calls the bill "a good first step" that should be followed by more action on health care. An additional 4% also have a favorable view, saying the bill makes the most important changes needed in the nation's health care system.
 geeleebee
Msg: 73 (view)

Posted: 3/23/2010 5:18:36 PM

'...shouting strong expletives...'

He didn't 'shout' the 'f' word--he didn't turn to the audience and announce it; he quietly said it to the president--albeit, loud enough for the mike to pick it up.

Big damn deal.

If you were around during the Dan Quayle years, you'd know what a 'laughingstock' was.
Or a few years ago when then Vice-President Cheney told a Congressman to 'Eff yourself'. Only Cheney didn't say 'eff', he said the 'f' word.

I'm sure that those who deplore Biden's use of the 'f' word were as up in arms over Cheney.

Right?

Right.
 geeleebee
Msg: 231 (view)

Posted: 3/22/2010 6:15:49 PM

And I heard today that Rush said something about wiping out the Democrats?

Shouldn't Rush be at home packing his fat bumper to move out of this country?
Is he a man of his word, or not?
I'm suggesting that we slap a stamp on his butt and send him to a country where they practice cannabalism.

The Obama Administration has turned and turned and turned the other cheek. This president has thus far been able to rise above the racism and the death threats and lead this country forward. Look at the long-range plan for America: health care for everyone, pulling our troops all the way out of Iraq, letting the Afghanis deal with their own country.

It is painstaking progress, but it is progress.
 geeleebee
Msg: 92 (view)

Virginia General Assembly passes anti-healthcare reform legislation
Posted: 3/21/2010 9:28:59 PM
If you remember what was happening in our country when the PA was passed, you'll understand why it was voted in.

ON TOPIC:
This is good good news for the many Americans without health care--or with woefully inadequate health care.

It's going to be another tense week before the vote on the 'fixes'.

Hopefully, everyone will act like a grown-up and take care of business.
 geeleebee
Msg: 21 (view)

Obama at Columbia University
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:04:45 PM

Sioux City being in Iowa

Um... ...Sioux City IS in Iowa...

Where did YOU go to school?

Can't help but note that the article's main crux is the issue of how the controversial Patriot Act undermines our country's constitution. Yet just this last weekend Barack Hussein Obama a constitution lawyer and law professor signed a one year extension of the Patriot Act.
Guess its kind of interesting what they do or don't teach at Columbia University in regards to the constitution.

How does Obama signing an extension to the P.A. make what they teach/don't teach at Columbia 'interesting'?

How is this relevant to the topic of this post, which is about Obama attending Columbia? Which he did, and from where he graduated in 1983.
 geeleebee
Msg: 36 (view)

Rep. Charles Rangel Fails to Pay Taxes Due
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:22:09 PM

off-topic The combination of Links that go nowhere...

Posting a link is not plagiarism. How can it be? The link itself is verification of the source.

...along with no author given material that is not theirs, then the material is plagerism...

That sentence makes no sense to me.

I will admit that except for some websites to nowhere, its kind of hard to tell where the poster's personal thoughts end and their use of another's words begin. There are several pieces in this thread alone where there is no author given for the material. So if there is no author along with the website going to nowhere, then someone is using somone else's material.

Not crediting the author/source is plagiarism.
Posting a link--whether or not it goes anywhere--is not plagiarism.
 geeleebee
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 2/27/2010 4:18:56 PM

Links that lead to nowhere...

pla·gia·rism /'ple?d???r?z?m, -d?i??r?z-/ Show Spelled[pley-juh-riz-uhm, -jee-uh-riz-] Show IPA
–noun

1.the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
2.something used and represented in this manner.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Plagiarism

I'd like a link to the definition of 'plagiarism' that includes posting links that go nowhere.

If Rangel has already been admonished, then let's move on to more pertinent matters.

geeleebee
Msg: 32 (view)

Posted: 2/27/2010 11:41:15 AM

and more than one of the website addresses used lead to web pages that say "Sorry, the page you have requested could not be found." that makes people wonder where one got them from. In the educational world that is called plagiarism. Just a heads up to some posters about correctly citing words that are not one's own.

No, posting websites that don't lead anywhere isn't plagiarism.

Plagiarism is not crediting the author with his/her work, thereby claiming it as your own.

There are many, many examples of plagiarism on this site, but links that lead to nowhere is not plagiarism.

ON TOPIC:

If Rangel is guilty, then deal out the punishment.
 geeleebee

Self-Defense, or Assault & Battery?
Posted: 2/20/2010 9:43:19 AM
There was no 'hero' in the video.

Two idiots name-calling each other.
Both of them should have known better.

Exchange their skin, and they're both the same person. This wasn't White vs Black, this was a case of 'I'm more stupid than you are', 'no, you ain't--I'm more stupid than YOU', and then they proved it.
 geeleebee
Msg: 29 (view)

Is it wrong to label drug addicts and alcoholics like we do?
Posted: 2/2/2010 8:20:04 PM

Is it wrong to label drug addicts and alcoholics like we do?

You mean...like 'alcoholic' and 'addict'?

I guess we could nice it up--'My son just has a little craving every few hours for an illegally obtained substance that he likes to shovel up his nose.'

Yeah--I guess that's better than, 'My son is a coke addict.'

The label is the problem with which he struggles--the person has a name.
 geeleebee
Msg: 16 (view)

For teachers, educators and others .
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:43:26 PM
The parents, the child, doctors, and the school need to be a team.
No one person is going to be able to address the issues the family faces.

Is this kid on an IEP?
Is he violent at school?

This is more than simply giving a child medication--he needs ongoing professional help, as do the rest of his family.
 geeleebee
Msg: 9 (view)

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 1/31/2010 2:32:16 PM

And, anyone who thinks that Palin has left politics 'for good' is incredibly naive.

Well I thought you did.

I think she's finished, actually.

Finished, as in being a viable political candidate.
I think we're going to be seeing her on FOX, and it won't surprise me to see her in the capacity of 'advisor' during the next presidential campaign.
 geeleebee
Msg: 7 (view)

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 1/31/2010 12:52:39 PM

You know, for a party that is supposedly on "life support" and "not in touch with the majority of the people" the leftys sure do seem concerned about people from that party. Especially those who have left politics altogether. Now that is hilarious. I think the Republicans should go check the polls of those defeated recently by "the party on life support" and see what their numbers look like. And be sure to use an unbiased source like Huffpo.

By the way, you don't suppose some Alaskans are a bit miffed because she resigned do you? Nah, couldn't be.........

Palin's gone---out of the political picture--now who should get over it?

If Palin remains in the news, then she's fair game.
And, anyone who thinks that Palin has left politics 'for good' is incredibly naive.
 geeleebee

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 1/31/2010 8:52:55 AM

I was hoping for a palin bachmann ticket sigh.

You...and every other red-blooded heterosexual man in America--regardless of political affiliation.

I think she's finished, actually.
FOX (not the) NEWS will be the end of any real credibility she might have.
 geeleebee
Msg: 3 (view)

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 1/30/2010 10:08:26 PM

she'll never make it to the 2012 presidential ticket and I was really looking forward to seeing her on that ticket.

LOL

What IS the fascination with posting polls?
I hope Palin does make it to the 2012 ticket--Maybe she and Michael Steele could team up? Who'd be on top, d'ya think?
 geeleebee
Msg: 1 (view)

New Palin Statistics...
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:38:14 PM
...for those of you (you know who you are) who LOVE to post poll numbers:

Jan 29, 2010 - Huffington Post

Alaskans continue to sour on Sarah Palin, according to a new poll released Friday by Public Policy Polling.

Forty-five percent of Alaskans surveyed have an unfavorable opinion of their former governor, while 47 percent had a favorable view and 7 percent were unsure. Seventy-four percent of Democrats have an unfavorable opinion of her, as do 55 percent of Independents and 15 percent of Republicans.

Palin's popularity in the Final Frontier has continually slumped since her early departure from office and before, amid sentiment that she wasn't looking out for the best interests of Alaska.

The results of the automated phone survey of 710 Alaska voters comes after her lengthy book tour and contract as a Fox News analyst...

Yeah, yeah--it's from Huffington. Get over it.
 geeleebee
Msg: 3 (view)

For teachers, educators and others .
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:20:16 PM

I wish to have some advice vis à vis this problem . I have a nephew who just turned 11 years old . He is on two medications : Adderall and Risperidone . The psychiatrist think that he has both ADHA and other psycho problems . The meds did not help . He is violent and does not take commands from parents, teachers, principal....etc . He hates school . He is so lazy and uses bad word all the time . My question is : what do you think the solution is ?. the parents checked with 3 ( three 0 psychiatrists and they told them NOT to change the meds . His parents are both on disability for health reasons such as heart problems, ling problems....etc and do not know how to use a computer . they often ask me for advice but sometimes I just do not know .
Any suggestions folks ?. Thanks .

Oppositional Defiance Disorder--look it up, and then call the school and ask for a meeting with his counselor.
Violence and refusing to 'take commands' is something that an expert needs to help the parents address.
 geeleebee
Msg: 16 (view)

Worried about my brother, any advice?
Posted: 1/26/2010 6:16:27 AM
Bottom line: If he fails, that's okay.

'Failing' is a natural consequence of not doing what he's supposed to do in order to get a passing grade.
He isn't stupid. He knows this.

Let him choose to fail. This is his path to walk, and the sooner people get out of his way, the sooner he can learn some real life lessons.

If/when he's ready to actually live his life, you'll still be there for him. In the meantime, he has a couple of key people all worked up over his choices, and he's getting some great attention for it--keep the phone, if he has television in his room, remove it, same with the computer--it's for school work only.

That's all you have control over.

The rest is up to him. Don't give in with the electronics at the first sign of a homework paper turned in.
 geeleebee
Msg: 30 (view)

Obesity and mental health issues.
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:28:00 PM

On another thread I repeatedly brought up the fact that when you eat yourself into a plethora of diseases and eventually to death, this is not normal and you have mental health issues that need to be addressed. I think it is a rather valid point but everyone ignored what I had to say and would rather do as most do on weight threads. Fit people telling fat people to go on diets and that it's not hard to take 30 minutes out of your day, and fat people making excuse after excuse.

When you know that what you are doing is slowly killing you, then you clearly are not thinking with a well and rational mind. To my thinking getting into counseling with a psychologist or psychiatrist will help you achieve weight loss better then a diet ever will. I have watched people on diets and sometimes they succeed and sometimes they don't. The ones that do almost always gain back the weight.

So do you agree that someone who eats themselves into their grave is mentally ill and needs help to stop their destructive behavior? Please give an explanation as to what you believe regarding morbid obesity and mental health issues.

I am not mentally ill--my therapist will tell you so.

My weight issues are not your business. Period.
Attempting to convince people that I am mentally ill because of my weight is, in itself, a little...cuckoo.

Are you 'normal'? Do you think that a person who is fixated on other peoples' weight--and begins a thread about it, when she's ignored on another thread--is mentally ill?
Does she need help with her nosiness issues?
What about her judgemental attitude--is that a mental illness, as well?
Is she obsessive/compulsive? THAT'S a mental illness, right?

Just watch your own weight, please.
 geeleebee
Msg: 89 (view)

This bloke is beneath contempt...
Posted: 1/15/2010 5:02:07 PM

i support the first amendment and as this thread clearly illustrates there are many who think it applies only to things that tickle their ears,reflect their beleifs and opinions,and all else should be done away with...

Wrong.
Pat Robertson can say anything he wants, and those of us who choose to do so, can rebut what he says.

I love the First Amendment (see there? I capitalized it, 'cuz I love it so much!), and I support Robertson's right to spout his bullshit perspective.

In fact, I believe that the Pat Robertsons of this world need to speak out--makes it easier to know who to stay away from.
 geeleebee
Msg: 76 (view)

Posted: 1/15/2010 6:15:29 AM

Yes, we better try to help Haiti right now. The thing is, they need to be given some fish now, but they ultimately need to be taught how to fish. The question remains, do they want to learn how to fish?

There are many, many Christian organizations in Haiti--and have been for many, many years.

You can teach me how to fish, but I don't have to develop a taste for eating it.

It is my opinion that the Pat Robertsons of this world are going to receive the shock of their everlasting lives when they shuffle off this mortal coil only to discover that the angry, punishing God they testified against and made BANK on...kept notes.
 geeleebee
Msg: 63 (view)

Posted: 1/14/2010 10:49:44 PM
If you know anything about Jesus Christ, then you know full well that He came to bring a new hope and to do away with many of the things the O.T. God had established.

My God is not scouring the Earth, searching for someone to punish, and I don't believe such a God exists. My God would never take the sins from anyone and place them on a baby. It simply is not true.

I'm not going to argue religion with you, because you will never change my mind and, quite frankly, I don't care if you change yours or not. I love the God who saturates my life.

The people in Haiti do not need our judgment or our speculation about something that simply does not matter.

Put your energy elsewhere--where it can do some good.
 geeleebee
Msg: 61 (view)

Posted: 1/14/2010 10:37:05 PM

Wow, I was just about to to come to the defense of Voodooism but I see you beat me to it. Geeleebee, you seem 'Christian-ly' I wouldn't have expected you to come to Voodoo's defenses.

Anyway, Voodoo has been taken so far out of context (like the pentagram) that what you see and read in the media, that's t not really it. I won't even pretend to tell you that I understand all of it's tenets, but there's a lot more to it than what has been shown. It's a very viable and worthwhile African-native based religion and does not need to be thought of inferior to any other religion.

However, like any religion to the illiterate or 'blind sheep', it can become the 'opiate of the masses' and misused or misconstrued by the people who believe in it or to outsiders. In that sense, I get what you are saying Zenbeth.

LOL...
We forget that our perspective is not the ONLY perspective.
Glad I can still surprise a few people...
~Namaste~
 geeleebee
Msg: 59 (view)

Posted: 1/14/2010 10:06:06 PM

Let me get this straight, you're saying you actually believe the ancestors of the people of Haiti made a Faustian pact, but that's okay, you don't think it's what caused the earthquake?

Honey--don't lose any sleep over it.
Those of us who understand things like plate tectonics also understand about earthquakes. Those who love the smell of Pat Robertson also love the smell of religious fervor.

Can you believe how ridiculous some of the threads about Haiti have become.
 geeleebee
Msg: 57 (view)

Posted: 1/14/2010 9:52:55 PM

Do know that the history of the Catholic church has been to allow cultural stupidity into the church. When you allow illiterate people to stay illiterate they never get out of the hole they are in. Haiti is ripe with voodoo nonsense and instead of encouraging science, education and non third world ideas the country has wallowed in the mess. We funnel tens of millions into the country every year and things only get worse. Good grief, they didn't even have aspirin that people could loot from store for pain. They didn't even have a water system anywhere so that people could at least have clean water when boiling it. The Catholic church has done ZIP to make Haiti a healthy whole country!!

Whoa!

It's only 'nonsense' if you either don't understand it, or if you don't agree with it.
If one's only world experience is in one's own back yard, then everything over the fence looks like 'nonsense'.

Very small-minded--and ignorant, because there ARE hospitals in Haiti in which, I am certain, one can find an aspirin. The Albert Schweitzer Hospital is located about two hours from Port au Prince.
As for illiteracy--there are dozens of schools in Haiti.

Right now isn't the time to squabble over what the Church should have done, did do, or didn't--right now, we need to be donating to the Red Cross, and those of you who believe in it should be praying.
 geeleebee
Msg: 55 (view)

Posted: 1/14/2010 9:17:54 PM
This isn't a free speech issue--it's an issue of a totally skewed moral compass belonging to someone who claims to be a 'man of God'. Poor, poor God.
Pat Robertson's words are despicable.

There was a two-year old little girl being held in her father's arms on the rubble-strewn streets after the earthquake. The baby had a broken leg and a skull fracture. Is Pat Robertson going to say that THAT baby made a pact with the devil? Or that her parents would knowingly place her in harm's way?

Despicable. And contemptible.
 geeleebee
Msg: 2 (view)

Why is there a rush to meet people from online chat and e-mails?
Posted: 1/11/2010 10:00:12 PM
What I found when I was actively dating online, is that meeting sooner rather than later meant there was no time to envision 'Prince Charming', and plenty of time to get used to who the guy really was.

I advocate meeting asap.

Men seemed more amenable to meeting quickly--women, it seems, need to stick their toes into the dating pool and inch their way to the deeper end.

What can you possibly lose by meeting? Bring a friend and park them at another table--safety isn't an issue if you're smart and careful.
 geeleebee
Msg: 180 (view)

Is this a Hate Crime ?
Posted: 1/11/2010 8:25:48 PM

If I had my way, we would tell them to get a handle on things or we will nuke their holy sites.

Does anyone really question why we have Hate Crime laws, when this is the kind of 'reasoned' thinking exhibited by some?

Threatening to 'nuke' someones holy sites is a clear indicator of lower-level thinking--by 'lower-level', I mean your average Joe Troglodyte.

Want a reason for enacting laws against Hate Crimes?
It's all right there.
 geeleebee
Msg: 15 (view)

Would you get a Boob Job ?
Posted: 12/31/2009 4:44:39 PM
If my mate wants larger breasts, then he can have the surgery--no need to wait for me to 'be in the mood'--he could take advantage of himself whenever the urge smacked him.

I don't need larger breasts--I just need them hauled back up to where they used to be. So, for that reason, yes--I'd have that done.

That's a lot of money, however, and the man in my life would rather have the kitchen remodeled.
In the meantime, we've discovered that 'things' float in the hot tub--which gives the illusion of 'north' rather than 'south'!

Carry on!
 geeleebee
Msg: 56 (view)

California is Broke, set Manson Free...
Posted: 12/31/2009 2:09:28 PM

Send him to me in Texas, I'll go drop him off under the bridge and let the drunks, bums and homeless straighten his azz out.

Uh...it was the 'drunks, bums, and homeless' who did the killing for Manson.

I'm thinking it would be a better idea to simply leave him where he is until he dies.
 geeleebee
Msg: 214 (view)

couple arrested for not tipping.,,
Posted: 12/31/2009 1:38:38 PM
This is fascinating to me (I'm waiting a few more days 'til I go back to work, so I have time to be fascinated by stuff like this).

1) The employer had to compensate the server if their tips did not cover the minimum wage. This means that the server is/was guaranteed to make minimum wage.

IS is an 'option'? Or is it the law?
If it's the law, then how could a person be fired for expecting to be compensated at the minimum wage level?

Restaurant workers really do need to unite.

'Si Se Puede!'
 geeleebee
Msg: 33 (view)

How do you handle it when a gay person hits on you?
Posted: 12/31/2009 10:30:56 AM
And...exactly how does one ascertain whether or not another person is a 'fruitcake' before approaching him/her?

Clearly, if you have a swastika tattooed on your forehead, I can safely approach you with, 'Heil, Hitler!'
But...there isn't a group tattoo that I know of for the LGBT community.

Why the 'hate crime' response?
Why not simply say, 'I'm not interested.'?
Why immediate violence?
 geeleebee
Msg: 210 (view)

Posted: 12/31/2009 8:35:46 AM

1) The employer had to compensate the server if their tips did not cover the minimum wage. This means that the server is/was guaranteed to make minimum wage.

2) The employee is required by law to claim 100% of their tips. However, the government would only tax you on 8% of your sales. Most servers that I knew (including myself) made twice as much as we actually claimed.

Is this true anywhere now?
Anyone work in waitressing/waiting?

If it's true, then why the fuss about tipping?

"mandatory tipping" is stupid.....IMO
 geeleebee
Msg: 207 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 10:33:03 PM
The 'dashing of the profession'?
I am a Sign Language interpreter--high school level, now. I've worked since 1983 from the preschool through high school levels, and then at university and college--I also taught at the college level for nine years.
I have the utmost respect for those in education--if by 'dashing' you mean I was putting them down, you absolutely could not be more wrong.

Clearly, you missed the point.

Here is what I said:

I work in public education.
I don't receive tips.
The students don't pay my salary, my employer pays my salary.
Several years ago, the interpreters in my former district went to the union and the school board about our pay--it took a while, but we persevered and succeeded in achieving our goal of higher pay and being placed in a category separate from the other classified workers.

The point was this: by banding together and providing the district with valid reasons, we were able to make a significant change in our wages, among other things--precisely what several of us have been saying restaurant waitstaff should do.

How that could have been misunderstood is beyond me.

number 3 is something that you should take up with your congressman and leave the waiter alone.

Okay--one last time.
IF waitstaff wants to be paid a living wage, NO ONE else is going to take up the battle FOR them.
It is not incumbent upon restaurant patrons to go to Congress and ask for higher wages for restaurant workers.
IF it is important enough to the waitstaff, then THEY will do something about that.
It's been done in other countries--it can be done here.

YOU seem to have a lot to say about the pay--I suggest YOU begin a grassroots movement of waitresses and waiters to raise their wages.

One last thing: those teachers at the primary level are given a daunting responsibility in educating our children--they are laying the foundation for everything that comes after. If you think for even a nanosecond that a college professor's job is harder, you need to spend a couple of days in first grade.
 geeleebee
Msg: 8 (view)

Becoming A Man's Man
Posted: 12/30/2009 8:03:59 PM
Do you know the meaning of 'anachronistic'?

Guys are very very simple. If you can help guys out with these three S's then pretty much everything else will fall in place. One is supper, one is sleep, and I'll let you imagine the last S.

Lemme help YOU out:
1. Supper is whatever YOU planned and bought groceries to make.
2. Sleep--go to bed when you're tired, get up when you're not.
3. Sex. Have it. You don't need a woman for that, btw.

You know how to be a 'real human being'?
Be kind.
Practice forgiveness.
Own your actions.
Say what you mean, mean what you say, do what you said you would do.(Barbara Coloroso)
Don't hit.
Don't say anything that you don't want your grandmother to hear.
Acknowledge blessings.
Work toward resolution.
Hold your children and encourage them to fly.

You're probably gonna get your ass kicked on this thread--you're young--you'll survive. But do take note of the feedback you receive from the men on this site--there are some here who could teach a course in being a 'real' man.
 geeleebee
Msg: 165 (view)

has this website made you want to become religous
Posted: 12/30/2009 5:57:57 PM

Most Americans would benefit from Universal Health Care too, it's not perfect, but it beats the hell out of filing for bankruptcy just for having to go to hospital.

An excellent and pertinent point, and it's one of the reasons I fully support Health Care Reform.
 geeleebee
Msg: 201 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 3:23:05 PM

Yes, I am listening. People are saying that since the tip isn't mandatory they don't want to pay it because they think that someone other than the person recieving the service/food should pay for the waiter's time/energy. Complete BS.

Some people might be saying that--but certainly not all.

I am saying three things:
1. Waiter/waitresses should be paid a living wage

2. Tips are not mandatory

3. Someone other than the person receiving the service/food should be paying for the waiter's time and energy

The customer is paying for a meal--that meal is delivered by the server--the server's employer is responsible for paying the wages of said server.

I work in public education.
I don't receive tips.
The students don't pay my salary, my employer pays my salary.
Several years ago, the interpreters in my former district went to the union and the school board about our pay--it took a while, but we persevered and succeeded in achieving our goal of higher pay and being placed in a category separate from the other classified workers.

Restaurant workers need to do the same thing--I, for one, would support that wholeheartedly.
 geeleebee
Msg: 185 (view)

Posted: 12/30/2009 11:51:12 AM
Wow.
I don't 'take' anyone's time. The person who serves at a restaurant is there at THEIR choice--it's THEIR decision to work there.
What I pay for is my meal and/or drinks--which I am legally obligated to do.

A tip is a gift. Period.
If it weren't, it would be included in the cost of the meal.
Why some can't understand that is beyond all that is reasonable.

You think people were just born to serve your ass. They weren't. They are making ends meet, just like you are trying to by cutting their throat when it comes time to pay. Waiters cannot live on the $2.15 an hour you want them to live on.

I work for a living--I have never had the attitude that anyone is here to serve me for no compensation. I've never not paid for a meal.

Waiters can't live on $2.15/hour--we agree on that.
Why not do something about getting that raised to a living wage, instead of railing at those you mistakenly hold responsible--the real culprits are the owners who get away with it.
Why no harsh words for them? Why not attempts at solving such a glaring injustice?

Are you now just saying "I'm poor and stingy, so I am going to rip off the waiter because it's not illegal". I bet you're the kind of person that would buy shit with it if you could find a take-a-penny / leave-a-penny jar by a register that was stocked with enough pennys.

Where in my posts have you seen anything even close to that?
The person 'ripping off' the waiter is the same person who doesn't pay that waiter a living wage.

Any idea how many times I've dumped coins into one of those 'leave a penny' jars?
Of course not.
You've decided, contrary to everything I've posted, that I am the reason the waitstaff can't earn a decent living, which is both llogical and irrational.

Work at solving the real problem.
I fully support paying more for a meal if it means that the people serving that meal can earn a decent wage without having to depend on tips to do that.

I said: To reiterate some things that were said earlier: I am a great tipper--I've never had to wait tables, and I like to show my appreciation to those who do. Also, I have only rarely received what I consider 'bad' service, and I tipped accordingly.

jwg said: That's not what the post that somehow got deleted said...

Yes, that is what the post that got deleted said--which is why I have been so confused as to your anger at me. I said it several times--I am a great tipper AND I have only rarely been on the receiving end of bad service.

Notatowniegirl--thank you for 'getting' it.

Show ALL Forums