Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With Kids
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 72 (view)

Chuck it all, Sailboat around the world With Kids
Posted: 8/20/2010 6:07:13 AM
I guess when you find a good topic it hangs in there. I agree that I have never met a whinning kid on a boat.
Just to let you know I'm still around and working on this, I finally got one of my
old boats sold, one more to go. Earlier this spring I delivered the sold one across the gulf of Mexico. I was amazed how many oil wells are out in the gulf, I was less than 10 miles away from the well the blew up, a week before it blew. In order to give an idea how many wells that are out there, I would say that in the western half of the gulf there probably is not a place where you can't see at least one well. That would mean there is one at least every 15 miles or so, that's a huge number. I just did a google search and found out there are at least 27,000 abandonned ones, I was going to say 10,000 wells before I googled it. That might be close to the number of platforms out there, the platforms is really what I saw.

Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 14 (view)

Sailing
Posted: 8/28/2009 5:23:55 PM
I would suggest one way to learn sailing is to buy a small sail boat at a yard sale or find somebody that has one you can borrow. They make foam block board boats that are smaller than a sunfish. Or find a sailing dingy. If you can get a lateen rig (single) sail there is even less to learn. Get a beginning book at a library read it and go play. I would suggest on the first day start in some enclosed pond where you can walk home from any side or only go out when the wind is blowing toward you, so you know you will be able to get back home. After you master that, find a little more complicated boat. Keep working up and eventually you can be planning a multi year circumnavigation like me. www.jheld.mysite.com Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 70 (view)

Posted: 8/28/2009 5:17:28 AM
I'm finally got the old boat sold, well almost, it's a time sale, more than half paid for, they will put it in a work yard to work on it in a couple months. I've bought a new one to fix up while waiting, it's a 27 ft custom dutch steel boat and will be for sale and sail real soon. It's something a solo sailor could comfortably circumnavigate in. Providing it sells, I should push off from Florida late this fall, head to the Islands and then up the east coast to Greenland and beyond. Have a great day. www.jheld.mysite.com Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 68 (view)

Posted: 7/14/2009 3:29:27 PM
The 2nd boat is still being sold, it's a time sale deal. It will be paid in full late this fall. Since I'm stuck until then, I bought a smaller steel boat that needed some repair and have fixed it up, It'll be ready to be put on the market in about a month. It's a 27 ft sloop made in the same boat yard in Holland that my big boat was. You can see pictures of the repair work on my website. Finally I'm starting to see the day I'll be able to shove off and start this trip. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 265 (view)

Worst place you ever been?
Posted: 4/4/2009 8:03:03 AM
Italy
we had Eurail passes for a month, we were traveling along the French riviera when we entered italy the light in the train started to flicker, the AC went off, we got into the station in Milan and found out the country was on strike. Basically anybody that did anything for the government wasn't doing anything. We got into a long line with baggage in tow waiting for a train to get out of the country. We didn't care which direction just anywhere but here. Turns out after a couple hours in line we got a snell zug (fast train) up though the swiss alps. I was a sleeper train, we had a nice meal with escargot and wine (treated ourselves for escaping Italy) and then woke up in Frankfort. I really like Germany. I'll try Italy again, but it will be from the coast on my sailboat, planing a multi year circumnavigation. Check out my website.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 66 (view)

Posted: 11/20/2008 5:55:03 PM
I've finally got the 2 old boats sold and can concentrate on the 45. Should be setting sail early next spring. I'm in Kansas today, working on getting the house rented out to a friend. I'm still looking for the 1st mate.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 3 (view)

Fort Myers Martini Party at Bar Louie 10/17 8:00 pm
Posted: 10/14/2008 2:15:18 PM
Thanks for the invite, I won't make it this time, I am in Arkansas helping my brother build a house, been here for a couple weeks and will be here for a month more. But I will be back in Florida with my boats in a little over a month and be happy to join you at one of these. Someday we can probably have a big party and go sailing on my boat. I will admit I'm not a martini drinker thou, I rarely drink hard stuff, mostly just beer, or in fact lemonade is probably my favorite drink. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 62 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2008 12:42:46 PM
I'm still getting ready to go, If you check my website www.jheld.mysite.com you'll find out why I'm still here. You'll learn it's more than just a pipe dream. I found my dream boat, a 45 ft custom steel ketch built in Holland. When new it was $2.5 mil and I got it for $5K and lots of hard work. It's a beauty, not at all what you'd picture when I say 5k. Simply put it just wouldn't float and it was too big to move any other way, and the yard selling it had too many stipulations, saying it had to move in 30 days and you couldn't work on it there, to make anybody be interested. I've been working on it and the old boats to get them sold for a couple years. I had 3 boats when I bought the ketch. I still have one of my old boats I need to sell, I sold one. 2 boats is one too many, and I can't look after the 2nd one if I'm out cruising. The old one is a 38 ft fiberglass sloop priced at $20K, that's almost half the price of comparable boats but nothing is selling right now. Once I get that sold I'm ready to push off.

Tieing up all the lose ends to go sailing for 5 years sometimes takes a year or two, you just don't get in a boat and go if you have property (like a couple of houses and lots of sports cars) that you would like to be able to come back too after you get done with world exploring. The world will still be there next month. The most important thing in my life is finding someone to enjoy the trip with.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 61 (view)

Posted: 8/11/2008 11:49:45 AM
There are a lot more drug runners with guns on our city streets, and all the stories about pirates are mostly stories. It makes for exciting stories, high seas and adventure and all. It's many times more dangerous for your children to play in the city park then to be on a sailboat. I've talked to many, many cruising boaters over the years and not one has personally run into anybody brandishing a gun in a hostile manner.

I'll admit that I would like to carry a gun on board, just because I grew up as a boy scout and believe in "be prepared," But mostly that would be for the mid eastern and south seas areas. There the people robbing you are not drug runners as much as they are just trying to survive. But there are certain countries in the world that don't want a person to have a gun and make it very difficult to visit that country if you do. If you lie about it and get caught you might end up in jail for years. If you tell the truth they will store the gun and you have to come back to get it. My choice if I carried a gun would be an SKS, but I know most likely if I had it and it was needed I wouldn't be able to get to it in time.

There is very little reason for a drug runner to approach a sailboat, and pirates in these waters would go after a boat that looks like money. I'll admit the boat I have now looks more like money then my old boat, but it's still just a sailboat, what can they expect to steal that would net them much. There are bigger fish to fry in the ocean than a cruising sailboat.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 19 (view)

Kayaking
Posted: 6/9/2008 3:48:43 PM

I really would like to enjoy this sport. I've loved water and open canoes since I was a child and the feeling of slicing through the water, solitary, peaceful, sounds fabulous. But every time I've tried kayaking, I've ended up upside down in the water with a boat stuck to my butt. But I really would like to enjoy this sport -- honest I would.

cdn guy

If you get one of the kayaks that is mostly open on top they are much wider and much more stable than a whitewater or seakayak model that is made to take a small sprayskirt around your waist. The sprayskirt type typically has a much rounder bottom, much shorter ( less reserve floatation) and much less stable If you get a two person one it will have even more extra floatation and they have almost flat bottoms. When you lean the flotation goes way up and it's outboard, You would have a very hard time capsizing one of these open flat bottom kayaks, If you can canoe you'll do just fine. Most of these kayaks are mode of Poly and are very tough. They are slower but life is meant to be enjoyed. They can carry lots of camping gear, so you can stay out longer. Enjoy. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 23 (view)

2008 travel plans!
Posted: 6/9/2008 3:20:34 PM
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 travel plans

I'm planning to circumnavigate in a sailboat, slowly. See the world. I'd be off already but I have one too many big sailboats, need to sell the old 38 footer before leaving.

I still need to find my mate. Presently taking applications and interviews. Can you pass the dancing test? Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 83 (view)

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:50:28 PM
Today it was a cup of cool water in a bowl, a couple teaspoons of powdered milk, stirred up, add a couple teaspoons of grape nuts type cereal and then top with a cup of raisin bran cereal. Stir and eat, that's more normal since I've been living on the sailboat and not using refrigeration. I'm in Kansas today and not on the boat but still I use powdered milk, it's cheaper and easier to keep around. I think it tastes great, and does a good job of getting the day started.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 81 (view)

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?
Posted: 6/8/2008 7:05:37 PM
Today I had, some corn chips, a spoonful of peanut butter and a water bottle, I was in a hurry to meet a gal friend to go to an art show 60 miles away. Again not normal, but not abnormal either. Food is food, the body doesn't differentiate between breakfast and dinner. Jon

Dancecard, I would suspect we would be great friends, it looks like we have a lot in common. Boating, dancing, outdoors, old cars, educated, etc.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 16 (view)

Kayaking
Posted: 6/8/2008 7:01:11 PM
I've just found and joined a site called meetup that's good for singles wanting to meet others to do things like this, you can google my name jheldatksuedu and find my profile on there. I'm in Kansas again but soon heading back to Florida, we've got a few trips planned already. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 13 (view)

Backpacking
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:54:38 PM
I just went canoeing last weekend, I've got friends that did the entire length of the Kansas river, I took a jungle hammock since the river was way up, thought there might not be any sandbars to camp on, anyway, it worked great, there were still some sandbars I hung it in a large piece of driftwood (more like drift tree, probably cottonwood.) It's lightweight, packs small, comfortable and very airy (cool.) Full enclosed with 330 degrees of bug screen, solid behind the head and pillow and well protected from rain. I recommend it highly. I've had it for a long time but never used it. Got lots of stuff in that category. Jon --- 2 thumbs up ---
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 58 (view)

Posted: 6/8/2008 6:44:15 PM
I'm still planing on doing this, I've just been slowed down working on a new boat, and having trouble selling the old one. Got a couple people interested but they have to sell a house first. Nothing big is selling well. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 47 (view)

COUNTRY MUSIC LOVERS DANCE/PORT CHARLOTTE/PUNTA GORDA July 28th
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:40:32 PM
We need to get a new one going, I've been dancing in Kansas but heading back to Florida soon. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 32 (view)

Sailors? enough boats for a rendezvous in the Gulf Islands?
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:38:29 PM
I'm still working on my 5 year plan to be there, the long way around. Got a new boat, 45 steel ketch, so the old one has to go. You can see the new on on my website www.jheld.mysite.com. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 368 (view)

Any men over 35 seriously looking to get married?
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:34:27 PM
You bet, I'm so serious about it I'm getting ready to sail around the world to find her, since I haven't found her stateside.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 127 (view)

How many people connect emotionally/spiritually with the outdoors
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:32:40 PM
Hi John
What's been happening lately, I've been busy working on my boats, got to sell one, it's finally ready (all fixed up) then I can start on my trip. I did some canoeing last weekend, got friends that did the entire length of the Kansas river. We saw lots of beaver, turtles, deer, owls, muskrats, and many other species. I've spent the last month at home in Kansas, but soon heading back down to the boats in Florida, probably do some kayaking down there. The friend where I keep my boats hand feeds wild Barred Owls. He's been doing that for a couple years now, it started with turning a mouse loose in the yard, (the mouse was intended to be snake food) when an owl was present, and it's developed into hand holding the rats (easier to raise then mice, better disposition) in a gloved hand. Have a great time, whatever your doing this month. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 6 (view)

Sailing
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:19:42 PM
I'm back, Got two boats now, need to get down to one and then I'm planning on starting my circumnavigation. jheld.mysite.com Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 569 (view)

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO DO/Port Charlotte,Punta Gorda and Surrounding Area
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:16:55 PM
Kim, I'm back, still in Kansas today but heading your way, probably see you sometime. Jon
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 90 (view)

world,s most beautiful lake
Posted: 6/8/2008 6:14:05 PM
I'm back again and still feel as I did and wrote on the last page of this forum, that beauty can't be compared, each has it's own special character and often depends upon lighting and circumstances. I'm still looking for my yardstick (see last post), Planning on sailing around the world to find her, since I haven't found her stateside.

Show ALL Forums