Gender in language.
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:52:31 AM

I agree, but men, they don't think so deeply :(

Now that's just stupid.
 RSwindol
Msg: 11 (view)

Gender in language.
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:51:08 AM
The word "Female" is probably being used for one of two reasons. Either they are referring to the entire female portion of the human race, regardless of age, or the speaker listens to hip hop music.

Typically, and unfortunately, I think the latter is usually the case.

Hip hop music has a long history of referring to women negatively, quite often as "****es", "hoes" or even "tricks". But when artists like Sir-Mix-A-Lot came along and wanted to get more air time on the radio stations, they were forced to revise these derogetory terms. But hip hop being what it is, they refused to conform to the social norm and eventually a compromise was made. They would not use overly derogetory words such as ****es, but instead would use more socially acceptable words to undermine women. Thus, the words "females" and "chicken heads" became their go-to terms.
 RSwindol
Msg: 1 (view)

Technology: Does it make us stupid or just help point out stupid people?
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:40:17 AM
I'm sure we've all heard the anecdote by now of the little old lady who calls her computer manufacturer's customer support line to complain about her computer's cup holder being broken. If you are one of the few people who've been living under a rock and haven't heard this, to make a long story short, she was in fact supposedly complaining about her CD tray being broken. And while this story is more than likely fictional, it does bring to light the overwhelming fact that the people who use modern technology aren't always "cerebrally equipped" enough to properly handle such technology.

The question I have is, is technology making us more stupid, or is it that people were already stupid and technology is making it easier for us to see it?

While surfing the Internet, we can find numerous photos of people taking pics of themselves in mirrors. But I find it truly humorous when I see someone doing this unnecessarily. So many cell phones today have two cameras. One in the front and one in the back. Yet I still see people using these phones (iPhone, Galaxy, Nexus, etc.) in conjunction with mirrors. Were these people stupid before they got these phones, or is it the phones and other forms of technology that have turned them into the dumbasses we witness today?
 RSwindol
Msg: 13 (view)

Hell explained by a chemistry student........
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:23:49 AM
If this was an actual question on a University's mid-term, then I will forever mock anyone who goes to that retarded school.

How can a question such as this possibly be answered correctly or incorrectly? And if there is no correct or incorrect answer, then how can it be graded? And if it cannot be graded, then how could it possibly be a test at all?

All anyone really would have to say is "Hell is a fictional place and therefore is neither endothermic nor exothermic". That answer is just as worthy of an A+ as the answer given above.
 RSwindol
Msg: 34 (view)

Freedom of speech and expression
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:15:39 AM
Freedom of speech is an illusion. Have you every heard of the word "Slander"? Any time government exists, there is never true freedom.

With that said, I'm not an anarchist. I don't believe we would be better off without government. I realize that some government is essential to the growth of a civilization. It's in fact, the very thing that separates us from the beasts.

But how can I be pro government even though I understand that it prohibits us from truly exercising simple freedoms such as speech? Easy.

The word "Govern" simply means to control or to limit. So any time one person establishes a rule, a law, or a guideline that affects someone besides themselves, government has been established. For instance, if you and I were the only two people in the world and we lived like cavemen, it wouldn't take us much time before we established our own government, out of necessity. Let's say that I was lazy and every night I came to your camp fire. Eventually, you would probably say to me "Rob, from this day forth, if you want to feel the warmth of my fire, you must help collect the fire wood and keep the fire stoked." At that point, government has just been established. There is now a guideline that I must follow if I want to reap the benefits of your fire. Non-compliance to this rule would result in conflict.

So while absolute freedoms, such as freedom of speech, will never exist as long as we have government, the fact is, we could never live as a society without government. We just have to be careful about how much government we have. THAT is the key.
 RSwindol
Msg: 117 (view)

most Underated band?
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:49:25 PM
Hmmm...

Pete Yorn?
Maybe the Eels?
 RSwindol
Msg: 80 (view)

So why don't you play an instrument? (or do you?)
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:47:47 PM
I do.

"Messages this short may not be posted"
 RSwindol
Msg: 22 (view)

Pool Toe
Posted: 7/7/2012 7:40:32 PM
I used to get it every summer when I was younger.

Basically, when the skin on the bottom of your toes and feet get waterlogged and soft, the constant usage of your toes against the bottom of the pool make the skin pull apart and wear really thin. It hurts about like a blister.
 RSwindol
Msg: 193 (view)

Cops and FireFighters
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:43:55 PM
You have got two of the most dangerous jobs

Really? Because statistically speaking, delivery drivers die more often on the job than either Police or Fire Fighters. And delivery drivers, on average, make nearly $20,000 less per year. So, I'm sorry, but police officers and fire fighters get no sympathy from me.

I would also like to point out that there is a very good reason why people despise police officers. And that's because of their egos. Many people think that once they put on that badge, their heads get big. But in truth, most of them had huge egos long before ever putting on that badge. It's what makes them crave wearing the badge in the first place. And most of the people out there who are advertising that cops have dangerous jobs are the cops themselves.
 RSwindol
Msg: 3 (view)

Rugby League
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:34:08 PM
I too am a fan of 6 Nations.
 RSwindol
Msg: 11 (view)

What do you think of when you hear 'Online Dating'?
Posted: 5/2/2012 5:19:20 AM
"Online Dating" is a misnomer. It should be changed to "Online Meeting" because you are litereally introduced to someone online and at some point further down the road meet in person. It's not until you meet them in person that it's considered dating.

But I have to assume that you are asking about the stigma that goes along with meeting people online. While I agree that it was once new and strange to me, it's almost become the norm in the US and many other countries.
 RSwindol
Msg: 18 (view)

Do you still have any furniture when U left Home?
Posted: 2/26/2012 5:57:56 AM
I've had lots of strange things that I've used for furniture/decoration. A few things were because I got them cheap, but many of them I have actually paid dearly for just because I thought they would be cool as hell.

Hand Chair:
In my early twenties, I was into 70's and late 60's motif. I had lava lamps, bean bag chairs, and even a padded bar in my living room. But my prized possession was my hand chair. It was ugly as shit and even more uncomfortable. But it was kick ass.

But eventually, my taste in decor refined more into mid-century modern, so the hand chair had to go.

Bass Drum Coffee Table:
As a musician, I've always liked displaying my collection of guitars, amps, and other trade tools. But one day, I took this a step further. I came across some surround sound speakers on craigslist about 8 or 9 years ago. When I went to the person's house to pick them up, I noticed they had several vintage drum sets in their basement. The lady explained that her husband was a collector and immediately saw that I was interested. She then offered to sell me an old (1918) bass drum for $50.

Of course I jumped at the opportunity and left with the speakers and the drum. I got some information from the interior of the drum and found out that it was an old Ludwig prototype. I still have that bass drum, and with the help of a 36" piece of round glass, I use it as a coffee table.

Computer Desk:
I have what is probably one of the ugliest computer desks in the world. But I love it.

It is hand mad (and I don't mean that in a good way) out of ply wood and had been painted dark green. I found it on the side of the road being thrown out. It also wobbles if I pull it away from the wall. But as long as it has a wall to lean against, it's fine.

I've considered replacing it many times, but in the end, it is big enough to hold my 26" monitor and my rather large surround sound speakers. I simply can't find another desk that has what this one has without spending $500 or more.
 RSwindol
Msg: 26 (view)

Bi-Sexuals
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:21:02 AM
just because shes bi doesnt mean she has to have both, right?

Actually it's the other way around. She has to have both to be considered bi!

Seriously? Is this the kind of questions we find it necessary to ask these days?
Apparently the answer isn't as obvious as I've made it out to be all these years.
 RSwindol
Msg: 25 (view)

Y2K, and other disasters
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:18:43 AM
Y2K can hardly be called a disaster at all since... well... nothing happened!

So I guess my answer is NO, I don't remember the "Y2K disaster" or any other disaster that didn't occur.
 RSwindol
Msg: 27 (view)

Homeless woman slams infant against truck.
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:16:59 AM
It's not at all uncommon for homeless people to also have histories of mental illness.
 RSwindol
Msg: 143 (view)

Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
Posted: 7/29/2011 3:59:49 AM
And the reason there are more divorces in Bible belt states? Because of the greater chance of "living together" (as in "try it before you buy it") in lib states. Divorce rates don't include those people shacking up who decide not to anymore.

I don't believe this as all. As a resident of both Massachusetts and Mississippi (extreme political opposites), I can honestly tell you that I didn't witness people living together before marriage more in a "lib" state than bible belt state. What I have noticed is that people get married at a younger age in the bible belt regions.

To back up this statement:
http://pewsocialtrends.org/2009/10/15/marriages-and-divorce-a-50-state-tour/
Just click on the tab that says "Median Age At First Marriage" and you will see that typically our liberal states get married at an older age. Look at states like Massachusetts, New York and California (most liberal states).

When people wait until they are more mature, they are less likely to get a divorce. Go to that same page and click on the tab "Share Currently Divorced". You will notice that the same states (MA, NY, CA) that were some of the highest for age of marriage, also have the lowest number of currently divorced.

To take this one step further, you can click on the tap "Share Married 3 or More Times" and see that some of the highest states are in the center of the Bible belt. Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.

These facts, along with this Bristol Palin issue just further proves the hypocrisy of Bible belters.

she was a teen, she got pregnant, she had a baby(instead of aborting it) ..Her opinion on the subject holds a lot more weight than most of us who didn't experience that first hand

Why, when it comes to safe sex, should anyone take Bristol Palin's word over mine? I'm a 35-year-old man who has practiced safe sex very effectively for nearly 20 years and I have no children to show for it. Bristol failed at safe sex after a short period of time, unless she started very, very young, which makes her even less credible as an abstinence teacher.
 RSwindol
Msg: 125 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2011 3:21:36 AM

The only thing that is going on is I seem to be the only one who can separate this situation from a poltical pov. I believe I am the only one in this thread who is seeing it solely for the well being of the kids she would affect

Which means you obviously haven't read any of my threads. I don't think this is a political issue at all. I think it's an issue a Hypocrisy. I think it's an issue of paying someone a quarter of a million dollars to help kids when they are obviously the wrong choice and have no clue how to help those kids because they don't know the consequences of their actions.

How is that in any way political?
 RSwindol
Msg: 124 (view)

Posted: 7/28/2011 3:05:55 AM
If she is making money doing this and putting the vast majority of that money she makes into teen pregnancy prevention programs then that's fine.

I think it would be a bit naive to even assume that she's putting forth her own money toward any pregnancy prevention programs. That wouldn't even make sense. Why would she (or anyone else for that matter) give most of her money to the very company who pays her more than a quarter or a million dollars per year?

If she was interested in donating to the cause, she would either volunteer her time, or get a much smaller salary. But she's getting paid more than a quarter million per year. I hardly think that could be considered charitable.

She gets attention and money because of who she is not because of getting pregnant

Seriously? Ask yourself this. How many other Governor's Daughters are this well known?

Hell, our president's very own daughters aren't even as well known as Bristol Palin. No, you are dead wrong here. Had Bristol Palin not gotten pregnant as an unwed teen while her mother was running for VP, then she wouldn't have been plastered all over the news and tabloids, thus, she wouldn't be nearly this famous and would possibly not be famous at all. Why wasn't John McCain's daughter on DWTS? Answer: Because McCain's daughter didn't get pregnant out of wedlock during her father's campaign for the presidency! Even George Bush's girls didn't become famous for being the president's daughters. They became famous because they kept getting caught drinking underage at night clubs.
 RSwindol
Msg: 103 (view)

Posted: 7/26/2011 5:34:03 PM

don't believe that Bristol Palin is capitalizing as a result of her pregnancy. If that were the case then she would have been lauded for that very fact while on DWTS. She wasn't.

There are two very good reasons why Bristol Palin wasn't "lauded" while on DWTS. First off, the vast majority of DWTS viewers are conservative, and one thing I learned working for Nielsen TV Ratings is that a program will do anything they can to not piss off their viewer base. That's why the theory was raised that the only reason she wasn't voted off the show was to boost ratings with the conservative watchers.

But the bigger reason is because the news that Bristol made $262,000 in a single year as an advocate for abstinence didn't hit the media until after she was voted off DWTS. Get your time line straight. She can't possibly be lauded for something that no one yet knows about.

As far as Gates dropping out of college, do you think even for a moment that he ever stopped learning in his particular field?

Of course not. That's exactly why I made that point. Thanks for helping support it.
Bill Gates does realize that not only can you learn your field of study through OJT, but that it is possible to advance to spectacular levels without a college diploma. That's exactly why I said Bill Gates doesn't give speeches to college kids telling them that it's bad to drop out of college.

How about trying to comprehend some of what I write before retaliating.
 RSwindol
Msg: 101 (view)

Posted: 7/26/2011 4:28:05 PM

That would be like a former alcoholic going to an AA meeting an warning people that your addiction is going to cause you to go down a very dark and lonely path like mine did if you keep drinking the way that you are.

SteelCity, I too have no problem with people who suffered for their mistakes telling people about the pain and heartache they have to look forward to if they do not change their ways.

However, Bristol Palin never suffered for her mistake. In fact, it's just the opposite. She's making money left and right off of that "mistake". So how can she truthfully tell others that teen pregnency is a bad thing when she's capitolizing off it so much?

That would be like Bill Gates giving speeches to college students how terrible it is to drop out of college. What does he know? Dropping out worked great for him!
 RSwindol
Msg: 29 (view)

What you probably don't know about Restroom Valets
Posted: 7/26/2011 3:58:32 PM

while you are not in the room they keep it clean from other who are drunk and piss all over the place puke on the seats, and break up fights in there..yes drunk people tend to fight in the night clubs go figure right

Janitors clean pissy bathrooms, but I'm not expected to tip them.
Bouncers break up fights, but I'm not expected to tip them.
So why is it I'm expected to tip a valet for doing the jobs that others do for no tips? If an establishment wants a bathroom valet, then THEY should provide them and pay them. I shouldn't be expected to pay for being inconvenienced.
 RSwindol
Msg: 27 (view)

FDA's greed prevents pot from being legal in the U.S.
Posted: 7/26/2011 2:50:37 PM

btw..........just a bit of trivia......pot actually IS legal................however......you need a tax stamp for it.........[like the stamp on the bottom of ciggarettes]............however...........the government wont release said stamps

If the only way we can legally have pot is to have a tax stamp, and the goverment will not release said stamp, then that actually means that IT'S NOT LEGAL!

That's like saying it's legal to rob a bank as long as you have permissions, in writing, from the president of the United States, but the president will not issue said permission.

That's simply retarded.
 RSwindol
Msg: 90 (view)

Posted: 7/26/2011 4:18:40 AM
I'm a high school teacher and I see many lives messed up by young pregnancies.
If anyone can reach those kids and prevent some of this, let them come forward and do it.

I don't disagree with that statement. I just have a problem with Bristol being that "anyone".

Let me put it to you the easiest way that I know how. Bristol Palin is making a quarter of a million dollars to give speeches that she would never be giving had she not gotten pregnant as an unwed teen. And teens are not as stupid as we make them out to be. When she stands on that stage and tells them how horrible it is to have a child at such a young age, do you really think they will take her seriously? That child she had as an unwed teen is a blank check to Bristol Palin.

She is capitalizing to the full extent off that child's birth. It's probably the best thing that will ever happen to her. Between the books, the speeches, and all else in between, she will never have to get a real job. So who the hell is she to tell other kids to practice abstinence?

I have heard people try to relate Bristol Palin's situation with that of former incarcerated drug users who now give speeches to kids about staying off drugs. But I say that these two situations are completely different for the simple fact that the former drug dealer did his/her jail time. They know first hand the consequences of their actions. Bristol Palin, on the other hand, has only made money off her actions. She has never felt the consequences that other kids will feel, so she cannot truly put herself in their shoes. She has only benefited from her mistakes, and therefore should never be considered the voice of reason regarding this matter.

It's like the age old saying, "actions speak louder than words". And her actions are SCREAMING at the kids, while I'm afraid her words are nothing more than a whisper.
 RSwindol
Msg: 40 (view)

Social drinking
Posted: 7/25/2011 4:14:40 AM
social drinking is meant to suggest someone who doesn't have a problem with alcohol and isn't a heavy drinker while 3x a week or more is meant to suggest someone who is a heavy drinker.

I would say that a person who swings by the local bar after work each day to have one drink while catching up with friends is probably less of a drinker than someone who goes out once or twice a week and gets hammered of 12 to 15 beers.

But according to this site, the guy that gets hammered twice a week can consider himself a social drinker, while the other person is considered a "problem" drinker.

I don't think there is much to be discussed as to what social drinking truly is. I think the discussion here is that POF doesn't realize what social drinking is.
 RSwindol
Msg: 41 (view)

Socialized Medicine - 15 year old boy paralized ... who should pay?
Posted: 7/25/2011 4:07:31 AM
Corrective eye surgery is outside the scope of what is covered under our provincial health care plans. He would have paid for this procedure out of his own pocket, or through additional private insurance.

The airline actually paid for it as far as I know. But regardless of how it was paid for, wouldn't the health care system prioritize it the same? I should hope so. If truly sick people are getting bumped to make room for elective surgeries for those who happen to pay out of pocket, then I now have to admit that even I'm a bit dissapointed in the Canadian health care system.
 RSwindol
Msg: 36 (view)

Posted: 7/24/2011 10:13:12 AM
Incorrect... whether you're a factory worker, office worker or professional, you get the same standard of care and prioritization in regards to surgeries.

The only reason I was under the assumption that a person's career plays a part in this decision process is because a friend of mine is a Canadian airline pilot and he was able to get lasik corrective eye surgery in a timely maner because of his job. At least that is according to him.
 RSwindol
Msg: 34 (view)

Posted: 7/24/2011 10:10:14 AM
Here is a funny video that some of you may like. William Kristol actually admits that the government can run a first rate health care system.

And for those of you who aren't aware, William Kristol has said on many occasions that he is completely against socialized health care. It's funny how people start to change their tone once you present them with a bit of logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSZiWwiBuE
 RSwindol
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 7/24/2011 10:03:29 AM

I think that American health insurers won't cover cosmetic surgery either unless it's in some way a functional correction.

Actually, that all depends on the health care plan you have. Which is another reason I despise our current, privatized system. I have basically paid the same amount for insurance at the last 3 jobs I have worked at, but I get different care at each one. Why can't there be a standard?

As far as "elective" surgeries go, I am having knee surgery this fall. I can walk fine, but I have almost constant pain when I walk, and I walk a lot at my job.

As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong), in the Canadian system, they actually take into account your career when determining what is elective surgery and prioritizing procedures.
 RSwindol
Msg: 56 (view)

The New 13 Sign Zodiac Dates
Posted: 7/23/2011 5:09:00 PM

That's really going to throw a cog in the wheel.

Especially for those who are heavy duty into this.

For thos who are heavy duty into this, I think there are already so many cogs in their wheels that I doubt a few more will make much difference.
 RSwindol
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 7/23/2011 5:04:20 PM

I will have paid in about $23,000. How much in benefits am I going to receive?

Universal healthcare would prevent people from paying in and not being able to receive benefits.

Personally, I'm all for universal healthcare for a few reasons, but this is probably my biggest:
Last year I got a new job. My new healthcare provider (private healthcare) informed me that they would not pay for my medication (I am ADD) because it was a pre-existing condition. I told them that by law, they couldn't use that as an excuse unless I let my insurance laps more than 64 days. They agreed and demanded I get a certified letter from my previous insurance company stating the final day of coverage.

After weeks of waiting on the letter and then finally proving that my insurance didn't laps more than 64 days, they then told me that they wouldn't pay for my medication until I got a "pre approval" from my doctor. I contacted my doctor who did send in the pre-approval information that was asked for.

After sorting out this situation, they ran out of excuses and simply started telling me that they weren't going to pay for my medication. PERIOD. So for the last year and a half, I have been paying $200 per month for medication. Why am I paying for insurance if I can't get coverage?

For those who don't see the issue here, think about any other insurance company out there. Let's say auto insurance. If you wreck your car and you take it to a shop to be fixed, the insurance will either total the car, or pay the damages (after your deductible of course). The only time they can legally refuse to pay is in the event of a breach of contract, such as an unlicensed driver or something. They cannot legally just decide not to pay because they just don't want to. So why is it our medical insurance is allowed to do this?
 RSwindol
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 7/23/2011 4:49:24 PM

Exactly how many PoF members do you feel belong to a country club and are going to see your public service announcement?

I belong to West Point Country Club, but thank goodness we have to restroom valets. If we did get some, I think I would quit the club. It's just creepy.
 RSwindol
Msg: 92 (view)

Two 14 year old boys must register as sex offenders for prank.
Posted: 7/23/2011 4:42:53 PM

The ruling means the boys would have to register under Megan’s Law because the court said sexual contact applies to touching for the purpose of humiliation.

So if I punched someone in the nose with the intent to humiliate them, that would be a sex crime? Answer: NO.

Not all "humiliation" is of a sexual nature.
 RSwindol
Msg: 91 (view)

Posted: 7/23/2011 4:40:33 PM

Proximity of ass to junk - splitting hairs!!! I don't need to learn anything about the location of a man's ass and junk thank you.

OK, now this is simply stupid. Now we are getting into proximities? How close is a person's ass to their "junk"? About the same distance as from their junk to their belly button. But I doubt rubbing a belly button in someone's face would constitute as a sex crime, regardless of the proximity.
 RSwindol
Msg: 57 (view)

Posted: 7/23/2011 12:31:16 PM
When you physically violate another person it is an assault which ever way you look at it!!!

That's all fine and dandy, but I have to agree with Got Trance. Why is it a sex crime?

You say that it's assault, and I don't disagree with that. A punch to the face is also assault, but people don't get put on a sex offender list for a punch to the face.

The fact is, a person's butt cheeks are in no way a sexual organ. I could see if the kids rubbed their genetailia all over the other kid's face. But they didn't. They rubbed a non sexual organ against a kids face. While that may be assault, I really don't think it should be considered a sex crime.
 RSwindol
Msg: 33 (view)

Posted: 7/23/2011 5:42:14 AM
On one hand, I agree with Cdn Iceman. At 14, you should be old enough to know better. But then again, far worse stuff goes on during most fraternities' rush week.

But I think the bigger issue here is the fact that by adding their names to the sex offender list for such minor infractions, we begin to lessen the value and validity of the sex offender list.

Millions of parents currently use the registered sex offender list to protect there children. But when teenage practical jokers (as juvenile and sick as the joke may be) are lumped into the same category as serial rapists, the list itself becomes tainted and questionable. The registry is then no longer a tool we use to protect our family, but becomes laughably inaccurate.
 RSwindol
Msg: 6 (view)

The Coors Light Vent Pack Commercial - Good Humor or Too Much Moob?
Posted: 7/21/2011 2:30:56 PM
I've never seen the commercial in question. I even tried to Youtube it.
 RSwindol
Msg: 45 (view)

Posted: 7/21/2011 2:24:11 PM

Why? Isn't she allowed to learn from her mistake?
and teach others from her mistake?

But the question is, how do we truly know what she has learned, if anything, from her mistake. We only make assumptions that she learned from it.

I do have a problem with her being a teen pregnancy prevention advocate for the simple fact that nothing she has done proves to me that she really knows how to prevent teen pregnencies, but just the oposite.

What's next? Are we going to now start taking financial advice from credit card companies?

Better yet, let's take dietary advice from Roseanne Barr. Or art lessons from Helen Keller.
 RSwindol
Msg: 79 (view)

yes, banned from all public places on earth
Posted: 7/20/2011 1:51:40 PM

"I've never seen a restaurant say, don't bring your screaming kids in here," Ashley Heflin, a mom of two, told WECT. "You can't help it if your kids scream."

Wrong. There is an age old trick to prevent kids from screaming in public. It's called PARENTING! And if you are so lousy at it that you can't control your children, then leave them with a baby sitter if you want to go out to eat. Don't be an ass and ruin everyone else's enjoyment just because you screwed up and had kids that you aren't willing to raise.
 RSwindol
Msg: 19 (view)

Jesus,wal mart and a bag of chips
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:17:07 PM
I think it's strange that Jesus only reveals himself to those who already believe in him. One would think he would want to use these powers to recruit new members.

If Jesus is real, then I say he's a jack ass. He's out there making appearances on French toast and Wal-Mart receipts while children across the globe are starving.
 RSwindol
Msg: 30 (view)

Social drinking
Posted: 7/20/2011 12:10:46 PM
Social drinking isn't defined by how much or how often. It's defined by the setting. A person can drink 2 beers or 10 beers and it makes no difference. A person can drink socially every day, or once per year.

Social drinking just means that the person doesn't sit at home and pound beers for the pure enjoyment of getting plastered for no reason. Social drinking is drinking while socializing.
 RSwindol

Posted: 7/20/2011 4:29:23 AM

Do we really need a WalMart greeter?

Since when are we expected to tip Wal-Mart greeters? They are a moot point.

I bet waiters and watresses think your a blast to. Works the same way Bucko.

Wrong. Wait staff actually provide a useful, and more importantly, a desired service. I pay them to do something that I neither want to do, and I can't do. I cannot walk into the kitchen of a restaurant and get my own food. I do not want to serve myself, or everyone else in my party. If I did, I wouldn't be going to a restaurant in the first place. This makes restaurant wait staff infinitely more useful and desirable than a restroom valet. You're not even comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing apples to polar bears!

And for your information, I'm an above average tipper at restaurants and bars.

ur proof that I was wrong and some are really clueless in matters like this

You may want to use complete sentences that actually make sense before calling others clueless.

RSwindol
 RSwindol
Msg: 22 (view)

about streetlights
Posted: 7/18/2011 2:50:36 PM
I agree with FyrKraken. If this is a serious safety issue, or could prevent injuries, then petitions can be drawn up to have the town pay for these extra lights. In most cases, towns are responsible for installing lights where deemed necessary. Otherwise, it's up to the people who are requesting the lights.

Look at it this way, it's a small price to pay for some added personal security. Also, you can often get a reduction on your insurance premiums if you live in a lighted area.
 RSwindol
Msg: 16 (view)

Posted: 7/18/2011 2:36:38 PM

The way I see it, is that a job is a job. With the market as it is, it's tough to find employment, so I feel for those who do the jobs that aren't that appealing.

But what a useless job it is. It's hardly a job at all. You know the old saying, "it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it"? Well I call shenanigans! No one has to do this job!!!

The guy that cleans up dead animals from the side of the road. Now there is a job that I can respect. I would hate to do it, but the fact is, it needs to be done. But what's the point at all of a restroom valet? That's why I compared this to someone standing on your front porch, handing you your news paper.

A restroom valet is like the bum who spits on your window and wipes it off with a news paper. Hey moron, what car doesn't have a windshield washer system? If you want some money, provide me with a service that doesn't inconvenience me, like mowing my lawn! I'll gladly pay you to do that. Oh wait, you don't like to actually work? Oh well.

Hell, get yourself a shoe shine box. Now that's a respectable job. I hate shining my own shoes!

I find it the same as tipping my hairdresser or manicurists.

Once again, your hairdresser and manicurists actually provide you a useful service. They actually have a skill that requires more than a 5-year-old intellect.
 RSwindol
Msg: 103 (view)

Is a DJ a musician?
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:12:01 AM
I would consider a good DJ an artist, but not a musician.

The reason I would consider them an artist is because they do compose by mixing different songs together and whatnot. But they don't know how to play an instrument, so I can't really call them a musician.

I even consider vocalists musicians. Their voice is their instrument. Though it did take me many years to realize that.
 RSwindol
Msg: 9 (view)

Peter Steele of Type O Negative, anyone misses him?
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:08:18 AM
I never really got a chance to know him... so no, I don't miss him.

But I did like some of their music.
 RSwindol
Msg: 10 (view)

Music Production
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:06:55 AM
I had a pirated copy of Adobe Audition on my last computer. Unfortunately, since it was a pirated copy, there were a lot of quarks and options that didn't work correctly. But also, since it was Audition and I'm only recording at home, there was a ton of stuff that I didn't use or need.

Now that I have my new computer, I bought Mixcraft 5, but I have yet to use it for more than some basic editing. No complete songs yet, but I'm looking forward to using it. I need to expand my work station so that I can have somewhere convenient to put my Allen and Heath USB mixer, which I'm also looking forward to cracking into.

I'm a gigging musician, but I have to admit, that I like producing more than I like actually playing or even recording my own stuff. I have some friends who have a studio, and if ever than have bands come in who don't have much of a budget but want some production advice (composition, etc.) they call me up and let me work with the bands. This is the area where I really shine in music. When it comes to my own work, I often know how I want it to sound, but don't know how to play the instrument well enough. But when working with other musicians, it's almost like having a brand new palate of paint to use each time, and a completely different picture can be painted.
 RSwindol

about streetlights
Posted: 7/17/2011 5:56:25 AM
"has anyone ever heard of residents paying out-of-pocket fees monthly for streetlights?"

Sure I have heard of this. It's currently pay about $10 per month for the street light in front of my house. This is done in almost every town. It gets attached to your light bill.

In fact, I was playing music at a friend's restaurant not too long ago. I play guitar and sing in their outside eating area, which happens to be a lighted ally between two building that has been gated off and made to look very nice. Unfortunately, this particular night, the old-fashioned street light that is in the eating area was blown. They did have other lights about, but this was the light that I used most in the area where I performed.

Later, I asked about the street light no being on and the owner said that it hadn't come one since a storm a couple of weeks earlier. She then told me that the building on the other side of the ally actually pays for the light, so they are the ones who have to call to get the bulb replaced.

This means that not only do homeowners pay for street lights, but also businesses.
 RSwindol
Msg: 101 (view)

Why do so many teenagers get pregnant?
Posted: 7/17/2011 5:47:03 AM
There are several reasons why teens get pregnent. First and foremost, because they have sex.

But seriously, I think a large part of the reason teens are getting pregnent today is because parents to not want to take on the responsibility of doing what's needed to prevent it. They do not want to talk to their children about sex. Instead, their children are left to find out about it on their own.

Not to mention the fact that conservatives are demonizing great organizations like Planned Parenthood.
 RSwindol

Posted: 7/17/2011 5:27:27 AM
For the most part, I see restroom valets as a nuisance more than anything. A nuisance that I have to pay for.

I've only been in one or two restrooms that had valets that I didn't feel like I was being inconvenienced, harassed, or at least exploited. I'll use my last encounter as an example.

I went to New Orleans with some friends not too long ago and we stopped in this small bar on Bourbon street. After a few beers, I of course had to take care of some business. As I entered the restroom, the valet greeted me, with which I had no problem. However, he continued to talk to me about the weather and how humid it had been while I was trying to urinate, which happens to be something I prefer to do without the attention of others focused on me. But trying to not seem like a total jerk, I contributed with courteous, on-word responses. He didn't pick up on the hint.

As I proceeded to the sink to wash my hands, I realized that the valet had a monopoly on the hand soap and towels. So he walks up to my station and squirts two pumps into my hands. He then stands beside me and waits for me to finish to hand me two paper towels.

As I was leaving the restroom, I gave the valet two dollars, but then started thinking more deeply about the situation. It started seeming more and more like entrapment. I had no option but to use his services, unless I was to leave the restroom without washing my hands. Also, I felt that I was being heavily inconvenienced. What did I pay this guy for? To make me feel uncomfortable? It was more like I was paying him to leave me alone the next time I walked in.

I also started thinking about how much I actually gave him, and $2 seems like a lot of money for someone to pump soap in my hand and hand me a paper towel. Especially when I can do this for free in most any other restroom in the nation. I mean, if you were going to pick up the paper from your front porch and when you opened your front door, you saw a strange man handing you your paper and wishing you a good morning, would you feel the need to tip him, or call the cops? That basically sums up how I feel about valets.

I do agree that if someone uses the services of a valet willingly, they should tip. But when a valet's services are forced upon you, I don't think one should have to.
 RSwindol

GODSMACK
Posted: 7/16/2011 6:21:31 AM
I am very disappointed in Godsmack for many different reasons. I used to live just outside of Worcester, MA, where those guys are from, so I've been aware of them for a long time and even went to see them back when they were an Alice in Chains cover band.

First off, I'm kind of peeved that they didn't change their name when they stopped being an Alice in Chains cover band. I mean, it makes sense to have your band named after an AIC song when you are actually a tribute band, but when you make the concious decision to transition to originals, change your name. It no longer fits.

Another reason that I'm disapointed is that while I never thought of Sully as a great singer, he seems to just keep getting worse. Of course, he did have big shoes to fill trying to sing like Lane Staley when they were a tribute band, but I've seen them twice in the past few years and I swear to god that every time I see them he misses more notes. Does he just not practice?

While I do think Voodoo is a pretty good song and I do like the percussion, I find it strange that a band would write a song about a movie. In case you didn't know, Voodoo was written about the movie "The Serpent and the Rainbow". That's just strange.

But lastly, I was disappointed that Sully used the fact that he was Wiccan to gain even more popularity. Exploitation of any religion for personal gain just seems backward and immoral.

Show ALL Forums