Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Never knew these forums existed!
 d0rene
Msg: 5 (view)

Never knew these forums existed!
Posted: 5/5/2012 3:30:51 AM
I've been on here before a long time ago when they were not hidden. Too many people getting to .... personal and antagonistic ... in some of these topics. I use the search engine. I look for religion or politics, ones I used to like and then look for the thread topic to get there. Had completely forgotten about it until today. Been a long time since I've been on here.
 d0rene
Msg: 13 (view)

Gandhi’s Top 10 Fundamentals for Changing the World
Posted: 1/6/2010 9:01:46 PM
I have Gandhi's, "Seven Social Sins," posted on my wall. When I googled the list to make the typing easier I got the bonus of an 8th by Arun Gandhi, his fifth grandson.

Seven Social Sins:
Politics without Principle
Wealth Without Work
Pleasure Without Conscience
Knowledge without Character
Commerce without Morality
Science without Humanity
Worship without Sacrifice
--Mahatma Gandhi, Young India, 22-10-1925

Rights Without Responsibility
--8th sin by Arun Gandhi
 d0rene
Msg: 21 (view)

Do I have to be gay ... can't I just be me?
Posted: 1/4/2010 6:45:34 PM
People want a clear label. Once you are married your mate is a reflection on you. Somebody can get a better idea of who you are by who you are with and it is very demoralizing to have that be a big questionmark.

Also - from my side women are insecure if a single woman is in their social circle because: 1) Is she looking at my husband or vice versa? 2) It is obscene that she doesn't have to put up with all the crap a married woman does. 3) A lot of people do not have the strength to walk through life as an individual, they have to have someone else establish their personal baseline. The idea of thinking for yourself may be something that was not encouraged as a child.
 d0rene
Msg: 21 (view)

Trouble sleeping
Posted: 12/17/2009 7:26:49 PM
Something that I've just recently started doing is playing a hypnosis tape after I lay down, it knocks me out in a very short time. I made it myself with some scripts I found online - mainly just relaxation techniques and visualizations with some affirmations thrown in. I wish I'd tried it sooner!
 d0rene
Msg: 28 (view)

If Jesus had a zodiac sign?
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:16:23 PM
I had always heard he was actually a Libra. I bring it up since nobody else has. The scales are concerned with balancing and being fair - they are also a cardinal sign which starts things.....
 d0rene
Msg: 161 (view)

WEIRDEST SANDWICH YOU HAVE EATEN
Posted: 5/1/2009 8:18:31 PM
Hmmm.. two actually. One I learned when I was a kid - a Radish sandwich. Buktter bread, slice radishes in half, line them up on the bread and enjoy. I haven't had one in forever and it sounds good!

The other is one I came up with. Spread peanut butter on one slice of bread, spread Nutella ( a choclate nut spread) then place sliced bananas in the middle. Thkat doesn't sound half bad right now either........
 d0rene
Msg: 54 (view)

What is the difference between Gay Marriage and a Civil Union?
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:30:14 PM
I've heard the argument that marriage is to raise children... does that mean that if a couple never has children then they shouldn't be married. Does a woman lose the right to marry when she has a hysterectomy and a man lose the right when he has a vasectomy? Marriage is to have sex? Then we should definitely ban anyone who has been paralyzed. Is there a special place on the application where you have to prove that ability??

One of the Menedez brothers who killed his parents can marry while behind bars but two people who follow the law and both make good contributions to society can't. In what world does that make sense?

Significant differences:

1) Marriages are recognized world-wide; civil unions are, for the most part, not recognized across state lines.

2) A civil union may only be ended in the state where it formed; divorces can be granted anywhere. May be hugely inconvenient if you've moved across the country.

3) No Social Security survivor benefits.

4) No right to family leave for emergencies.

5) Limited or no protections for health insurance, Medicaid, taxes, etc.

IMO, these are SIGNIFICANT differences. If you don't believe that, so be it. Don't get married yourself, then, when you find your soulmate.

Marriage is a recognizeable word. Different states have different laws about it, but if it is legal to marry at 16 in one state and you do so then move immediately to another state that doesn't allow it it will still be recognized.

Laws of inheritance can be broken especially if one partner is working more than the other.

Costs of "attempting" to enter into a civil union are astronomical and it may or not be recognized when needed. Marriage licenses can be obtained that can chain you for life for under a $100 anywhere.

Personally since the institution terrifies me I can't understand why somebody would want to sign away their life, but hey.... if they want to do it? I kind of agree with what somebodyelse said. Make all marriages civil unions, then if you want to go to a church and "marry" later, do it for the religous state.
 d0rene
Msg: 6 (view)

Why was it OK for John but not for Barry?
Posted: 4/2/2009 9:45:43 PM
They've been printing up fiat currency since the first established the colonies and had a working printing press. Gold and silver coins have a more definite value, but the paper has meaning too.

If the dollar gets devalued and is on a level comparable to the yen or the peso what does that do? IMO it levels the playing field. It means that it is less profitable for illegal aliens to come here to make American dollars to send home. It is one thing to endanger your life to come and work your ass off to make enough money in a couple of years to support yourself and give you a good start on a life back home. If you can stay at home and make that money, why go to the US?

If it costs the same amount to grow a tomato here at home as it does to import a tomato from China..... which are yo more likely to do?

Level the playing field so that American workers do have a chance at competition in the market. American workers are innovative and can find a lot of ways to do things. We just need the incentive to find those ways.....
 d0rene
Msg: 23 (view)

Have the seeds of Fascism been planted in America?
Posted: 3/17/2009 1:29:14 PM

Re. this thread: Good grief! Another thing for people to worry about? I cannot live or believe in such pessimism. Could it happen here? Can a Hitler take over our country?

We have people who will currently look you in the face and tell you that the Holocaust was vastlly exaggerated if it happened at all. If we can have people denying the Holocaust, then yeah, we need to be afraid of another Hitler coming into power who will play on the fears and insecurities of people to create another fascist state.

As someone said - ETERNAL VIGILANCE. And we do truly need the 2nd amendment.
 d0rene
Msg: 121 (view)

Legalizing incest....
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:49:37 PM
I think it is more wrong for a social reason. A marriage is supposed to unite not only a man and a woman, but also their families. If two people unite from the same family what it does is starts building a wall against an outside community.

I know that first cousins did marry in our grandparents generation, and I feel it was more discouraged for the social reasons. The problem is that marital relationships are easy to follow through if you are both from the same background and the same core belief. If you are only allowed to be around family members and not other kids your age, or the case that started this, children who were raised apart and may simply be confusing a biological recognition with a marital one.....

I feel incest is wrong, however, we are going to have bigger issues about it to come. Anymore, how are you necessarily going to recognize a family member? From sperm donors to men who father multiple children with different women. Is a DNA test going to be part of the marriage process?
 d0rene
Msg: 26 (view)

GM threatens to pull the bankruptcy trigger if it doesn't get more money.
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:03:18 PM

But I am really disgusted that the Ford CEO has agreed to work for a dollar a year to try to pull through this thing.

Why are you disgusted with that?

That he would be willing to work for $1 a year - I know there are other perks to the job but because I've always been a Chevy person it bothers me that I feel the Ford CEO is making bigger concessions while Chevy is standing around and begging for money.
 d0rene
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 3/10/2009 12:00:41 PM
But why did they have to recall every single one of them and destroy them??? A lot of people liked them, they took them back regardless.
 d0rene
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 3/9/2009 3:32:11 PM

I think the real story is that GM doesn't really care if it keeps making cars or not. Their huge global business in financial services is what they seem to focus on. Carmaking has become little more than a hobby with hot buttons to them.

You think they are still holding their hand out for the stimulus money for the bank? HAA!! At least you can't say they don't change tactics when the situation calls for it. I have always been Chevrolet/GM, I like their products. But I am really disgusted that the Ford CEO has agreed to work for a dollar a year to try to pull through this thing. I haven't heard GM is willing to make concessions like that. I may have to switch.

POSSIBLE ANSWER: Maybe because it was the other way around. Maybe it was the auto industry that convinced the IRS to implement that tax policy because they knew they screwed up in their long-range planning. Why else would the IRS encourage vehicles they knew would over-consume an increasingly expensive commodity? They didn't give the same breaks for business purchases of passenger vehicles, or energy-efficient vehicles - just Big-Assed Vehicles. I bet the car execs had a great laugh over that one. Yeah, they finally were able to move their stale inventory, yet they still didn't tool down in size.

I think it could be the government was excited about the idea of all the tax dollars that would be made off of all the gas these vehicles would need. Look at how much tax is on one gallon of gas that you buy. Why would the government be interested in manufacturing vehicles that would deprive them of that tax????

Do I want to see something like that, no not on your life. However I have been on this side long enough to know Production lines close. It happens all the time.

Magna went into a company that I worked for and ultimately shut it down. There wasn't a bail out with us. They sended up moving it to Mexica where (snicker) I think they are having a lot of problems down there too. A lot of countries do not believe in a 40 hour work week or putting your job above everything like the Americans have. But then they also are not as spoiled as we are.... they don't expect everything that we do.

So it would be a tough loss yes, but not one that would cripple auto makers/ and their suppliers. It would make the ones left become a little more hungry for any business that is available.

Don't forget that GM has hung onto its service industry. Not only the parts, but also the access to the computer diagnostics. They still try to retain the car that they sell to you by holding the key to fixing it. I still think I should be able to buy a vehicle that I own and can have access to how to fix it - not have someone hold their hand up and say I have to pay them to do it.
 d0rene
Msg: 2372 (view)

gun control in the usa
Posted: 2/22/2009 6:44:44 PM
I dislike guns. I did, however, have a fascination for them when I was younger. My dad required both my sistere and I to take a gun safety course before he would let us have bb guns. Basically there was some testing but it was mainly target shooting. I did pretty good, but it taught me nothing about how to take care of a gun or to be able to load or use a regular gun which dad thought it would be for.

I have always been mildly for gun control though I knew it was unrealistic because of the second amendment. However a recent article that I saw on this site has made me rethink some of that.

The idea that two towns could go in different directions, one larger town going for gun control and another smaller town requiring gun ownership in an angry response caused crime in both towns to dramatically change. In the town with gun control, crime dramatically rose whereas the town which required gun ownership had a 75% drop in crime. Even the people who instituted the laws were shocked.

I considered that the idea of owning a gun would be an incentive to actually break in and steal the gun but if everyone were required to own a gun it might lose its appeal. HHmmmm, it really made me think....
 d0rene
Msg: 252 (view)

Calif. Supreme Court rejects gay marriage ban......
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:13:01 PM

Civil unions are almost the same thing as marriage, except for the name....deja vu of segregation.

Not even close. Civil unions are only recognized in the state it is established in, it costs thousands more than a marriage license that will be recognized across the country, and can be broken much easier than a marriage contract by a deceased heirs. If they agree to give the same benefits to civil unions that they give to marriage - THEN it might be the same. But the way it stands now they are not even close to being similar.
 d0rene
Msg: 8 (view)

Sarah Palin, Caroline Kennedy, social class, dynasty, the evil media elite
Posted: 2/8/2009 1:39:48 PM

Their ambition over-riding all loyalties , back stabbing and attempting to destroy who ever and what ever that gets in their way, knowing no boundaries. Surrounding them self with only "suck up" friends, boot lick'ers and brown nose'ers.
As they bully them selfs about, creating great discomfort at the work place for all. Making the job a dread and hardly worth having!

BINGO Dancecard! That is my impression also.
 d0rene
Msg: 37 (view)

Now Ive heard it all....
Posted: 2/7/2009 8:18:48 PM

Of course contraception should be made available. If families are losing jobs and have difficulty providing for the children they have, then using contraception is plain common sense. It's called being responsible.

No, silly, you are supposed to go in the other room, sit down and pray about it, and then NOT have sex. That will lead to a well adjusted, mentally balanced society.

NOT!!
 d0rene
Msg: 4 (view)

thinking of experiencing a sweat lodge
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:01:49 PM

Ok...what the heck is a sweat lodge? A vacation resort for us portly folks? Some sort of kinky orgy retreat? Never heard of the thing.

It's something I think of as primarily a native American spiritual tradition. Basically a naturally made sauna, but pushing the emotional experience a bit farther.

It's something I have always been interested in, too, but there is nowhere around here that does it.
 d0rene
Msg: 31 (view)

70,000 jobs lost in a day
Posted: 2/7/2009 11:20:15 AM
I think everything headed south when they started trying to make people reliant on the system. The internet is there because you can't learn some things anywhere else, and I have a problem with spending two weeks pay trying to pay for someone to come to my house for 4 hours to do something that I can do the way I want it done in 8 in my spare time. Plus I know exactly what I did and exactly how to fix it if it breaks.

I have had really good luck with plumbers or people that I have had to have fix things. They will usually explain what they are doing and why - but when I was 21 making $4.25 an hour at a job that requires a babysitter that was eating up to $75 a week and the sink stops up, you don't have the money for a plumber. You learn to deal. Yeah, I could go borrow money - but then I have to pay back not only what I borrowed but the interest and I never learned anything.

They don't teach you how to handle day to day things in school. I managed to sneak some shop classes in when I was in seventh grade, but by eighth they had realized I was a girl and I was soundly informed that shop was a boy's class. Whose fault was it that I couldn't take it? Was it my fault for not questioning the policy? Was it the much older lady secretary who informed me? I was pretty upset about it at the time, but a I had been taught not to question authority so I didn't even try to take a shop class again. Why did nobody question it when me and another girl took it in seventh? Strange as it may be, I have still used some of the skills that I learned back then. Now they are even phasing those classes out. We will all know how to conjugate a verb, but don't try wiring a socket or making a mortise joint. And I have even tried signing up for some basic electrical classes but the one group that was trying to start up fell through and a college will charge about $300, plus driving a good distance.

Like I said above, not everyone can or wants to be a white collar worker. But that is all the educational system seems to want to put out.
 d0rene

A cold ass winter for some!
Posted: 2/5/2009 7:52:08 PM

I think what is confusing me is why propane is costing 3.50 a gallon when it is domestic. Gas fell, propane went up. My propane literaly travels less than 2 miles on a truck to my house.

Because people freaked out at the rising costs and the gas companies booked a lot of people in at a set rate. I guess we are luckier than you, they booked in at $2, since I am bull-headed and didn't book, I have to pay $2.05 when the state average where I am at has dropped to $1.71. I am telling myself it is because the gas companies had to book prices somewhere else too, but that is not helping. I don't have a contract and I will probably trying going with a cheaper company shortly, the last one I contacted is selling at a lower rate.

You live near a propane plant? Or a wholesale distribuition center? Could be a lot of it is taxes.
 d0rene
Msg: 10 (view)

Borrowing/Lending money...
Posted: 2/5/2009 4:57:41 PM

someone I know was borrowing money from me on a regular basis. It got to the point I hated to hear the phone ring knowing he would wish to borrow again. I put a stop to the loaning him money and quit hearing from him. True friendship is a valued part of life and true friendship would weather anything

Hey, knowing who it is on the phone makes it twice the fun:

"Man, Jeff, I am gladd to hear from you! Remember that $20 I loaned you last week? I've had an emergency in my bank account! Can you possibly repay that, becaue I am going to get in a lot of trouble if I can't get that back in there."

They will probably stammer and stutter, and you might not hear from them again for a long time after they quickly get off the line.
 d0rene
Msg: 18 (view)

Phelps: Hero or Zero?
Posted: 2/4/2009 12:18:32 PM

it seems to me a photo (or video, etc) is very concrete evidence of a crime. Much more valid and reasonble than a witness account.

Plus you would have to have what he actually smoked. Can you be sure it wasn't something legal? Loose leaf tobacco? Even if they present the photo and he actually says, "Yeah, it was marijuana," they would have to prove that it was actually marijuana wouldn't they? And that it didn't take place in , say, Sweden?
 d0rene
Msg: 28 (view)

70,000 jobs lost in a day
Posted: 2/4/2009 10:46:02 AM

A buyer buys a house for $300,000. The seller receives the $300,000. The buyer has the house and the seller has three-hundred grand. Total amount of wealth between the two is $600,000.

Now, one year later, the house is worth $260,000. The seller still has his $300,000. Total amount of wealth between the two is $560,000.

Forty grand in wealth has vanished into thin air.

Here is how I see that scenario. The buyer owns a piece of land with a solid building on it that may be valued at $260,000. Try buying land, building materials, and labor that will recreate that house. Now the seller is holding $300,000 of linen receipts that have only the government's I.O.U on them. Market value is what someone will pay for them, what someone finds value in. If you can get the house without going into debt, great. You are turning linen pieces into solid assets. If you are going to pay more linen bits in addition to $300,000 linen bits, then there is a problem. Our economy has operated for too long on the idea that debt is a good thing and there were lots of linen bits just floating around. Now we are going to have to backtrack.

The problem came up when companies got the brilliant idea of outsourcing and eliminating jobs. There was all this money floating around just waiting for somebody to grab it and labor costs are cheaper in other countries, or better yet, a machine could do the job of two or three people. What happens when you send the money to other countries? When you pay upkeep into a machine instead of a person? The money spent does not go back into the system to keep it running. People can't buy things when they don't have a job, and not everyone can be white collar workers.
 d0rene
Msg: 3 (view)

Age and drinking
Posted: 2/2/2009 11:42:34 AM
See, maybe that's my problem. I've really never drank, and I didn't go out and do stupid idiot things that got me in trouble. Spent my whole life working but still made time for my daughter and museums and girl scouts. I did love to go to the bar to hear a live band and dance but frequently did so without having an alcoholic drink the whole night...... Hmmm coud be why my daughter only drinks once in a while now, huh?

Plus, I did provide someplace for her friends to be as long as they didn't show up drunk or plan on drinking when they were there. I could be kind of a b*tch about it.

p.s. Both my parents were smokers, my mom is a major chain smoker. I can't stand cigarettes and I have never smoked. I think I am allergic to them.
 d0rene
Msg: 2 (view)

Age and drinking
Posted: 2/2/2009 11:07:27 AM
Drinking ages have changed over time. I know there has been a debate in some of the colleges wanting the drinking ages lowered - I suppose being able to get away from home and live on your own and being able to legally consume alcohol is causing problems.

The legal age when I was growing up was 19, and since I've never really liked alcohol all that much I simply stepped in and had a mixed drink when I was 19 (bleck) as a coming of age thing with a friend who was legal already and stepped out. But I've had a lot of friends who said that drinking lost a lot of its charms once it became legal.

That being said, even with it being illegal I've heard of a lot of people throwing drinking parties for their kids. They are "responsible" by taking the keys and telling the kids they can't drive afterward. WTF??! To me being responsible is teaching them to be able to have fun without a drink in your hand.
 d0rene
Msg: 16 (view)

Woman who gave birth to octuplets already has six young children, Sould It be anybody business?...
Posted: 2/1/2009 3:30:34 PM
I had heard that she did not have 8 eggs implanted, however one egg can split. That is how you get identical twins.

It is still completely irresponsible to already have 6 children at home and have fertility treatments. If she did obtain the fertility drugs illegally or over the counter, then she made a CHOICE to have those children and she needs to be responsible for raising them. I can see helping someone with one or two - but when they have a litter by choice.....

If she was concerned with the moral implications of abandoning fertilized embroyos, there are plenty of families who would jump at the opportunity to offer a home.

I have a feeling that at least some of those children will end up in foster care.
 d0rene
Msg: 30 (view)

Now Ive heard it all....
Posted: 1/27/2009 8:23:11 PM
I can't find the information now, but I heard a long time ago that a Catholic fertility doctor was looking for a way to regulate fertility cycles so that a married couple who were having problems conceiving would be able to do so. In the process he discovered how hormones regulated a cycle and ultimately how they could depress fertility. I also heard that while he did so as a faithful Catholic he was ultimately excommunicated because of the way the discovery was used.

Edited to add: Hhhmmm, the story Iremember was from about 20 years ago. The only thing I can find is that maybe it referred to John Rock, a faithful Catholic who was involved in the clinical trials of oral contraceptives.
from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/peopleevents/p_rock.html

In 1931 Rock put his reputation on the line by signing a petition with 15 other prominent Boston physicians urging the repeal of the Massachusetts law prohibiting the sale of contraceptives. Risking excommunication, he was the only Catholic doctor to make the stand. After the Catholic Church approved of the "rhythm method" in 1936, Rock was the first doctor to open a rhythm clinic in Boston. There he taught Catholic women how to use the only birth control method permitted by their Church.

Confident that the Church would eventually approve the use of the Pill, Rock was crushed when the Pope officially banned the Pill in the encyclical Humanae Vitae (On Human Life). In his later years, having lost faith in the Church, the man who once attended mass daily stopped going to church altogether. When Rock died in New Hampshire at age 94 , on December 4, 1984, he was still bitterly disappointed by the Church's refusal to change its position on the Pill.

Sometimes I guess you just have to check the facts that you think you know?!
 d0rene
Msg: 26 (view)

Now Ive heard it all....
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:42:41 PM
The pill was created by a Catholic doctor to increase fertility. For a lot of women it does - take it for a few months and then go off of it or forget to take it correctly and guess what happens?

I, personally, believe birth control should be a covered part of regular medical expenses - not a part of the stimulus plan. However I think paying to control the population makes more sense than paying for a water park in Miami?? and a mob museum?

I can see rebuilding roads or investing in trains and rail infrastructure... rebuilding some of the bridges that have fallen into disrepair to stop another large scale accident like they had in Minnesota, but why would anyone want to build a museum dedicated to crime. Or for that matter a water park a few miles from the ocean? What's next? A museum to venerate the creators of this financial melt down?
 d0rene

Sarah Palin, Caroline Kennedy, social class, dynasty, the evil media elite
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:14:50 PM
I vigorously objected to many of the decisions Sara Palin made during her terms in Alaska. When the city of Wasilla had to hire a business manager to oversee what she was doing I see it as a red flag. She may be a likable person.... there are a lot of charming people out there.... but that doesn't mean I want them to be one step away from the presidency. Alaska has a much smaller population pool to select elected officials from.
 d0rene

Serious Question about the economy: How do we get off fossil fuels?
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:45:25 AM

The trouble is that the infrastructure is not cheap. It costs money to lay rails and install power for running trains. But hey, it's not your money, so it's no problem, right?

Look around - a lot of the infrastructure is already there. We just aren't maintaining it or using it because the American attitude is, "I don't want to sit around and wait or have to place myself in a situation where I don't have complete control."

And, yeah, it is my money. I would rather spend my dollars increasing the infrastructure in this country than improving it in countries which is what we have been doing for the last 40 years.
 d0rene
Msg: 25 (view)

if you were invaded.
Posted: 1/19/2009 9:22:58 AM
Ever watched the tv series Jericho? Possibly what comes may not come from overseas but the same as in Oklahoma city. What would happen if the seats of political power were knocked out and the small towns find themselves on their own trying to deal with their own situations and outsiders coming in?

Gotta love Jericho!!!
 d0rene
Msg: 9 (view)

Serious Question about the economy: How do we get off fossil fuels?
Posted: 1/18/2009 2:35:51 PM
Most countries have mass transit, and I think the time is coming when it needs to be here again.

Seriously, look at what you spend in fuel, vehicle prices, insurance, and mainteance for a vehicle. Not to mention the health cost associated with not walking. How much cheaper and more social would it be to commute at the same time with a mass of other people going the same direction? Inconvenient? Yeah. You might have to be on time at the train (hey, you have no IDEA how difficult that would be for me) but I would adapt and I would have time to do something on the commute. Plus I could be sure that the one driver was capable of driving and not overly tired or on medication or fleeing from a police vehicle.
 d0rene
Msg: 4 (view)

Potentially Thousands of Lives Saved
Posted: 1/18/2009 2:27:01 PM
Did anyone catch the photo of all the passengers standing on the wings with the plane floating in the water? It was fantastic, looked like a mother goose with her chicks.
 d0rene
Msg: 48 (view)

Ann Coulter attacks single mothers in her new book.
Posted: 1/18/2009 2:22:05 PM

all i can add is that the rate of teen pregnancy has increased dramatically since the introduction of so-called "sex education." if you compare out of wedlock birth statistics from the 50's to the stats of today, the increase has been pretty dramatic. the link between poverty and single motherhood is pretty damning. but i suppose that isn't something that is imparted during today's "sex" education classes.

The numbers of KNOWN teen pregnancies have increased. In earlier years it was not a topic for discussion. In fact I doubt that newborn's deaths were fully investigated or questioned.

Abigail Adams was appalled when she went to France and saw the large numbers of illegitimate children that were being raised there. People act like this is the first generation who have ever had this problem. Motherhood is not being looked at as a job. We begrudge the amount of time that is spent for raising children in the home. Do I think it is better to raise children in a two parent home. Yeah, if they can get along - but who can make that decision but them. Children are the future building blocks of society. I agree that they shouldn't be raise dby someone who is not willing to put the child's needs ahead of their own, but who would be qualified to determine that? Ann Coulter?

For anyone who wants to bring up Casey Anthony, let me just bring up the Menendez brothers. After all they were raised in a two parent home.
 d0rene

The show Jericho is returning this Tuesday not Wednesday
Posted: 1/14/2009 10:33:05 AM
I am very glad I bought the dvd - I cannot imagine being left hanging in that much intensity for over 3 months, and some of the stuff is hard to read without backing it up and pausing.

This is mind boggling, the idea of the mercenerary group that was used in Iraq being unleashed in America, the refugee camps, how they dealt with nuclear fallout. The idea of the assault actually being planned and carried out by ..... (hhmmn maybe that's a spoiler..)

Maybe it's just my backwoods attitude, but it reminds me of Red Dawn, and I find it funny that they actually brought that name up. "This is not Red Dawn." Sure the heck looks like it to me.

Also, is the EMP pulse something that is just imagined, or does that actually exist? Electro Magnetic Pulse that basically fries all modern technology making only the older vehicles and equipment that are not dependent on computers operable. Yeah, this is very much the paranoid conspiracy type of show.
 d0rene

Posted: 1/13/2009 11:45:29 AM
I got the dvd set, it is extrememly addicitive. Haven't listened to any of the directors comments as it goes along yet, but just from the shows on tv and what I've seen on the dvd , there are some different scenes. I am now maybe at the middle closing on the last half of the first season. A few more days maybe...

How could they have taken it off the air? Probably just as well. I would spend all my time watching television, and this is a show that you can't really look away from because you might miss something. I am glad it is on dvd because I can back it up and pause to read things. I still plan on tuning in to the television though, because you catch different things. This is something I think I could watch over and over again.

And yeah, Skeet Ullrich is pretty hot.
 d0rene
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 1/12/2009 4:39:53 PM
Hey, Jericho is on again on Sundays at 6:00 p.m. I never had time to sit down and watch the show the first time, now that I have I absolutely love it.

They also have both seasons out on dvd, if you don't have the opportunity to watch it.

It is basically a soap opera of exactly what would happen if a joint nucleaur attack happened on a series of American cities - and especially the total destruction of D.C. What would happen in a small town?

I'm not very far into the series and some of the acting is rather hammy, but there is some interesting information in it. The Fema marks on the doors in the nearby town. Trying to make ice with no electricity to help lower someone's temperature.
 d0rene

Shamwow...?
Posted: 1/11/2009 9:04:15 AM

You can probably find them at any store that sells 'As Seen On TV' products like Bed Bath And Beyond, Walgreens, Target, etc

and eventually wallmart....
 d0rene

the obnoxious woman in the GOLD JEWELRY commercials
Posted: 1/9/2009 8:54:35 PM

Current market price of gold (as of today) = USD857
-Example: 3-ounce 22K ring = ($857) x (3) x (.913) = ~ $2,357

You'll never collect this amount because a percentage for services will assessed. So, if it's 33%, you will collect ~ $1,580

Yeah, but according to the news show I saw, the mail in company will send you a check for $350 and when you protest they will up it to $450. Hhhmmm, do you think you will get it back if you protest that?
 d0rene

Dating site using DNA to find your match..
Posted: 1/8/2009 8:13:37 PM

Lemmings into the ocean. Keep them coming...

GO, LEMMINGS, GO!!!!!!
 d0rene
Msg: 27 (view)

This is truly frightening wow.
Posted: 1/7/2009 5:47:48 PM

Lorena Bobbitt was the woman who cut off her husband's penis. He (John Wayne Bobbitt) was lucky enough to have it reattached, then went on to star in some forgettable porn films.

I believe there was more with Lorena... please don't make me say the last name.... than cheating. I think there was some serious abuse, it is still a lot better if you walk away rather than becoming what you're against.
 d0rene

the obnoxious woman in the GOLD JEWELRY commercials
Posted: 1/7/2009 5:29:09 PM

here's the woman's line that i am quoting in an obviously heavy New York City burrough accent: " i sent in the wedding band from my first marriage and got money the very next day."

I always change the ending to: "and I got marriage for my second marrriage the very next day."

I think they ran an expose on one of the news shows, this was rated the worst for gold offers. Gold and metal prices ARE going up, but this place only gives you 1/10 the current market price, they recommended talking to a good local dealer to sell. If you refuse the first offer, most places (even this one) generally go higher, however anyone who mails off their gold jewelry with no guarantee of what they will get obviously has more than financial problems. BUYER BEWARE!!
 d0rene

This is truly frightening wow.
Posted: 1/6/2009 10:59:36 AM
Her stupidity doing something that she did to make a point, cost another person their life. She is going to have to live with that. You cannot force monogamy, the only person whose actions you can influence is your own. She should have decided whether she could live with it and if she couldn't then she should have gotten out.

She is just as guilty as a guy who knocks a woman in the face and they need to throw the book at her.

Violence turns you both into four year-olds. It implies that you are not mature enough to deal with and respect another person as an adult. And for anybody who wants to tell me that a woman is so much smaller than a man, it shouldn't bother him if she slaps him every now and then - anybody can pick up a gun, or in this case throw some alcohol and a match.
 d0rene
Msg: 201 (view)

Abortion & Politics
Posted: 1/5/2009 7:23:57 PM
If we could find a way to reverse the stigma of having a child.... If you could make it less of a horrible thing that a woman feels unable to take care of a child and more emotionally acceptable to turn it over to someone else.

It takes two people to have a child, but birth only requires one person to be present and society has a very judgemental view of women who feel unable to raise their children. Men can take the option, "Well, I'm not sure it's mine.." something that thankfully can be very easily proven these days- women can't unless they choose to hide the pregnancy and delivery. Pregnancy is stressful enough, woman give their strength, health, and energy to support a fetus. That is stressful enough without having to deal with the lack of emotional support and stress of people knowing you are pregnant. During that pregnancy your body is completely changed. Some have very peaceful, healthy pregnancies, others go through a living hell that makes changes their their health does not recover from.

Oddly, the younger you are in your pregnancy, the healthier it usually is. Something that society today frowns on. Rather than have a child at a young age, wait until you are stable and can afford the infertitlity experts and physical problems for both the woman and the child in their thirties.
 d0rene
Msg: 3 (view)

Vasectomies
Posted: 1/5/2009 9:41:24 AM
From what I understand, it is almost impossible to do a reversal on a vasectomy after two or three years.
 d0rene
Msg: 83 (view)

Minimum Wage
Posted: 1/3/2009 11:32:51 AM

Born with more intelligence.
Born not genetically predisposed to inherent mental illness or chemical dependency.

Hhmmm, now Hank, I may have to quibble with you over these. Some of the absolute craziest people seem to end up with a lot of money.
 d0rene
Msg: 82 (view)

Minimum Wage
Posted: 1/2/2009 4:48:28 PM

I've known people who make about a fourth of what I do (Gross), and they get subsidised housing, that looks a whole lot better then were I live; and it costs them about a tenth of what it is worth. If I wanted to live in the same type of dwelling these people do, it would cost me about one third to one half of my net pay.

But you probably own your home and you are paying social security, some of which you will get when you retire. Subsidized housing goes down hill rapidly and the person who lives there knows it is only a temporary situation.

I don't really require a lot, I guess I have a problem with people who feel they need the brand new car that costs the yearly salary of a school teacher, month long vacations in exotic areas, designer clothing purchased specifically from a Paris show room, while peole in this country are told they do not do enough to deserve to be able to pay for necessities.

Watched a news show the other night about how cell phones have revolutionized Africa, everyone is carrying one there. When we get so many pleas for starving children there and we send so much money for aid, why are American taxpayers expected to come up with cash for other countries when we can't support our own population?

America seems to be trying to subsidize a slave labor in other countries, while here once you fall into the lower wage bracket you have two choices. Either you work like a dog to advance a few steps, or you sacrifice your pride and fall back into welfare which demands you learn how to work that system. I think it is coming to the point where we are going to have to throw up the borders and start becoming self sufficient.
 d0rene

History Mystery
Posted: 12/31/2008 5:33:32 PM
Funny how the assasinations happened every 20 years. The only president who broke it was Reagan in 1984 and that was when Hinkley tried. Came a lot closer than anybody liked....
 d0rene
Msg: 38 (view)

John McCain the blame for his campaign failing not Palin
Posted: 12/31/2008 5:17:29 PM
To put someone in the race whose political history as mayor took a small town with no debt, bad roads, and no public sewage system in debt for a $15 million sports complex on land that the ownership is still in litigation on. She attempted to fire the public librarian when she didn't agree to the possibility of removing certain books from the library, though she did learn from her mistakes and got better at firing people. I believe she borrowed money as Governor to pay for road work and took the surplus and returned it to the taxpayers. Sort of like paying your utilities with your credit card and sending your paycheck as a bribe to congress to pass bills you want. Makes you a popular govenor. Then the fact that her husband is a member of the Alaskan Independence party, a party that has actively pursued secession from the United States... Those facts just boggle my mind. And this is the person they wanted a heartbeat away from the presidencey??
 d0rene
Msg: 7 (view)

Religion.......The one topic I have never seen being talked about.
Posted: 12/30/2008 6:23:30 PM

Nowadays , i actually don't believe Jesus ever said that, I would really like to read the original bible, just translated, nothing taken out or added because of ulterior motives.

Now that would be very interesting indeed - but even language has ideas and concepts built into it that make it hard for a different culture or generation to understand. Try to explain "phat" to a prior generation? Let alone try to send it through how many generations of power hungry people who believe absolutely that they have the ONE truth?

The original Bible was letters written (supposedly) by the apostles about Christ's teachings and life. The words written in red are supposed to be words that Christ actually said. Why do I keep saying supposedly? Anyone who has followed today's media would understand how subjective the written field is. You can twist and interpret facts and someone's words to reflect the outlook you want projected. I know there are Christians as well as Muslims who believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that their Book is lit by God and is outside of human influence, but I have heard and seen both Books used to justify hate and violence which I believe is no part of the message either Christ or Mohammad preached.

Show ALL Forums