Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 277 (view)

Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:39:09 AM
Also from the Journal of Public Health

"A study of teenage women in 32 contraceptive clinics in the United States shows a strong negative relationship between age of first intercourse and the level of cigarette smoking. Preventive, timely contraceptive behavior is also negatively associated to smoking. "

And from

Family Planning Perspectives

"After adjustment for demographic factors, both sexual activity and a history of multiple partners were positively associated with some measure of substance use. Respondents who drank more frequently, those who were heavy drinkers, those who smoked cigarettes and those who used marijuana in the past year were more likely than others to be sexually active."

I think the admin should become a health scientist. He's onto something!
 life_aquatic
Msg: 275 (view)

Women who smoke are far more promiscuous.
Posted: 4/15/2009 6:29:12 AM
Interesting thread. I'd been curious about some other facets related to smoking, but hadn't thought about promiscuity. So I did a quick google search about this topic. The quickest thing I found in support of this thread:

"indicating an association of smoking with promiscuous sexual behavior in Mormon women."

From the American Journal of Public Health. http://www.popline.org/docs/0896/061326.html

If the admin is still following this post. Another interesting test would be to see the ratio of single, smoking, with kids vs. single, smoking, no kids.

I have nothing against peoples personal decision to smoke. But subjecting your kids to that environment is my concern.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 26 (view)

Men who dont/won't share feelings- think they are intellects
Posted: 4/2/2009 7:12:40 AM
EDIT. ^^^ Damn, TigerWoods beat me to the punch

but while you are talking I am thinking of what to say next.

Then he isn't listening, he's thinking.

This is also ironic because if he's doing all this thinking about what to say and then doesn't say anything there are some connections missing.

My votes:

1) He's just using for sex, so the less he talks the sooner he can get some
2) He has less of a personality than a planter's wart and can't hold a conversation
3) He has a disability
 life_aquatic
Msg: 9 (view)

my best friend 'loves me'
Posted: 4/2/2009 6:51:36 AM
Ahh, The Sneaker Male.

In certain types of fishes there are three reproductive strategies. Interestingly, they correspond well with strategies used by human males.

The Bull Male - The classic example. He builds the nest, is large, and displays lot of color and masculinity in order to attract females. Gets very aggressive towards other Bull Males that are viewed as competitors.

The Female Mimic - This male looks and acts like a female. The Bull Male doesn't get aggressive toward the Female Mimic and invites them into the nest. When another real female comes along, the Bull Male thinks he getting the menage a trois, but the ratio is not in his favor. The Female Mimic then has a chance to fertilize some of the females eggs. I won't give a human example - I think you get the picture.

Finally The Sneaker Male - This male looks like an immature male, doesn't display colors or aggression. I guess he acts almost friendly - sound like someone you know? The Bull Male thinks that this males testis haven't fully developed, so he isn't concern about this sneaker male hanging around his nest or with potential mates. But as soon as the Bull Male isn't looking, the Sneaker Male is fertilizing the females eggs.

So my advice is this - Your lucky, human sexuality is quite different from fish. You get to decide whether or not you want to spawn with him. But bear in mind, that that is probably all he was thinking about

Class dismissed
 life_aquatic
Msg: 3 (view)

Is it the timing or the girl?
Posted: 3/30/2009 10:48:10 AM
Good one Heptone.

I had a friend that made a New Year's resolution to get married in the year. He wasn't dating anyone and he did it. It's probably close to 5 yrs now. Personally I think it's whacked, but my point is you'll never know what caused them to propose, because it could have been a New Year's resolution.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 14 (view)

Paid site guys necessarily more serious?
Posted: 3/29/2009 2:29:54 PM
From my impression reading these forums, you're more likely to get the, "Hey Babe. Wanna CuDDle 2NitE?" type of messages. If you have no problem quickly deleting these, then this site should serve you just fine.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 13 (view)

Why do Younger Men Want Cougars???
Posted: 3/28/2009 8:22:48 PM
Check out the march 9 Colbert Report - better know a district skit. The bit about cougars had me rolling. The representative almost made sarah palin seem OK. Speaking of Cougars
 life_aquatic
Msg: 7 (view)

Is there a diffrence in choosing dating a black guy than dating black guy who acts white?
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:46:18 PM
I'm pretty sure no one has ever dated interracially before, so I think you're just out of luck???

Or just check out one of my profile pics and you'll see a roommate of mine and his now wife that I set up. Be yourself and date people based on who they are and not their skin color.
 life_aquatic

sweethearts-vs-meaness
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:23:57 PM
It's always so fun to come up with something sarcastic to these posts that try to ask these questions that generalize men and women and have absolutely no satisfactory answer. But I'm just not feeling it tonight.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 15 (view)

How far in advance do most guys ask for a date?
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:13:46 PM
I will only ask for dates on days that end in Y
 life_aquatic
Msg: 25 (view)

What types of baggage (yours or theirs), has ruined a relationship?
Posted: 3/28/2009 10:02:47 AM
Keep looking for a traveler that doesn't have any baggage and you'll likely end up with someone who doesn't own a toothbrush or have a change of underwear. But if a traveler carries too much, they need one of those carts. Do you want to be the cart?

How'd I do with my metaphor?

Or in the words of Josh Ritter, "A heart is a package tangled up in knots someone else tied."

Yes too much baggage can be ruinous to a relationship, but it's also what makes each person unique. If you've spent several years with someone you thought was the love of your life, I certainly wouldn't expect you to erase those years from your memory. But it is the past lovers that always seem to be the biggest problem in terms of baggage, isn't it?
 life_aquatic

Girlfriend, her husband and the hair...
Posted: 3/28/2009 9:20:35 AM
How is the sex life?

If he's going to message parlors it makes me wonder.

I'm also unclear what attracted her to this man in the first place. He's "poor, fat, balding, with no sense of class..." His personality seems suspect. What attracted him to her?
 life_aquatic
Msg: 26 (view)

is it selfish of me if i don't wan't my girl to be a stripper?
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:18:38 PM
MahoganyRush has the best replies on the forums. I'm always LMAO at his posts.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 603 (view)

Expain the phrase My children are my top priority?
Posted: 3/27/2009 4:25:07 PM
I find the phrase troublesome.
Here is my perspective:
First off, I don't have kids (although I have some experience previously being one. haha). I have dated someone with kids, but this "phrase" wasn't a problem in our relationship.

You yourself should always be the top priority. Yes this sounds selfish but hear me out. Someone else on this thread pointed it, "if you don't take care of yourself, then you how can you take care of your kids." You should give your kids all the love and attention they deserve, but don't forget about yourself.

I think this phrase bothers me most when someone is divorced. Likely, before you had kids, your SO was your top priority. Now that you have kids and they are your top priority, I can never attain the position that your ex once had. BIG turnoff.

Sometimes the phrase smacks of co-dependency. Your kids are your life. Take away the kids and you have no life. I'm speaking figuratively, of course. I don't want anyone to take away your kids.

So maybe people don't really mean what they say, but this phrase does raise a red flag.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 11 (view)

What am I doing wrong?
Posted: 3/27/2009 2:58:24 PM
Internet Dating 101:
Don't ask for a date via email. A couple reason's why: 1) If you're not regularly talking on the phone already she probably isn't all that interested to begin with. 2) It is too easy to ignore.

You can get away with it now and then, but it just isn't good practice.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 19 (view)

Must she be equal in financial stability?
Posted: 3/26/2009 10:09:47 AM
My guess is that he used the financial stability excuse to hide some other reason for why the relationship was growing cold.

I recently got out a relationship with someone that had two kids (and lost her job, but that was after we broke up). My viewpoint is that if the relationship is incredible, then all the other things are minor and can be worked out. But if the relationship isn't incredible, then it just wasn't meant to be and all the excuses in the world won't make it better.

Move on to something better in your life.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 5 (view)

guy at the gym
Posted: 3/26/2009 9:43:46 AM
I would talked to him for awhile. Then start to distance yourself from him. Mixed signals are very endearing.

Or you could not talk to him and continue to obsess about him at the gym, always wondering if you are mentally cheating on the other guy who is sending you mixed signals.

Really I have no idea what to say. These are the sort of social situations that no one can answer. It depends on you, the other person, the exact settings, etc.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 2 (view)

first message - how long?
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:38:33 AM
The main thing I wanted to learn in this question is whether a quick hello was good enough for the first email. If you think about it, in any social situation this is all that you put forth before getting some sort of response from the other person. You see a woman in a bar, "Hello, my name is ..." She responds with "Hi!" or rolls her eyes in disgust. Then you move onto, "Nice shoes, wanna ...
dance?" (I'm joking, lighten up)

But my impression from reading the women's responses is no you need more than a short message to get the ball rolling. Thanks for clarifying.

On the issue of no response = not interested, I partially disagree. It's not always true. The most interesting and good looking woman I've met online didn't respond to my first email. She said she was impressed that I stuck with my interest in her.

Of course it didn't work out in the end, or I wouldn't be here now, so maybe she should have stuck with her first response. lol.

My point for the guys out there is sometimes it might not hurt to give it a second chance. I do it only rarely, and I expect the chance of success to be pretty low. Reading some women's profiles I get the sense that some guys are relentless about this even though it is an effort in futility. These are the guys giving us all a bad name.
 life_aquatic

Interested in input
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:56:05 PM
No I don't really have references. Trying for a little dry humor. But I thought it would be funny to ask someone to write one for me, if someone actually asked

Should I get rid of it?
 life_aquatic
Msg: 1 (view)

first message - how long?
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:54:06 PM
Probably this has been asked a million times - but I'm new to the forums.

What type of message are you most likely to respond too? A short hello, or a longer thought out message. I'll be honest, it sucks coming up with a nicely thought out message only to have it deleted with no response. I realize that I'm not going to get a response to every email, and I don't respond to them all either. If the person isn't attracted to something in the profile, then nothing you say in the message will make a difference. But is it a turnoff to just send a quick message? Then if I get a response I can go on and on about how beautiful and interesting you are...
 life_aquatic

Help Please Just a hint would help
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:10:07 PM
What does it mean that you've never been on a "date"? If you've never been on a date then omit the quotes. Better yet just omit the whole sentence. I think it will raise red flags with a lot of women.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 6 (view)

Guys, help me out here!
Posted: 3/25/2009 7:50:59 PM
This type or relationship will take some time to develop. Everyone has to be comfortable when it is somewhat professional. Send him another message on fb. just to see how he's doing.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 4 (view)

Guys...I need your help....please.
Posted: 3/25/2009 7:42:55 PM
How would you feel if he said that stuff while you were sitting there. If it wouldn't bother you then it is innocent. If it bothers you then you need to talk to him about it.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 3 (view)

What is wrong!?
Posted: 3/25/2009 6:49:44 PM
Put up some pics where you are really smiling. You even admit in one of your pics that you're not smiling.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 1 (view)

Interested in input
Posted: 3/25/2009 6:43:48 PM
Any suggestions? I'd be glad to hear what you think. I think the profile is working OK, but could be better.

Why does the forum post need to be 200 characters. I'm not sure what else I should say at this point.
 life_aquatic
Msg: 15 (view)

Profile Review for me!
Posted: 3/25/2009 6:29:36 PM
This was like a compilation of what I read on half the profiles out there - except all in one place - and they're usually not funny. My opinion is that you'll catch more guys with honey than vinegar. My impression is that you're just going to categorize me into one of those negative slots - so why bother - there are many more positive profiles out there. There were a few things that were slightly funny, but I had to work to hard to find them.

I also thought about which category you might fit into - and it seemed that you might fit into either the Ms. I'm too good for internet dating - because clearly so many men on the site are subpar in your opinion, or Ms Secret Agent Woman - because you're profile says next to nothing about you.

Sorry for the critique. I was just watching Simon on American Idol

Show ALL Forums