Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: I'm looking for a Band...
 good guitar player
Msg: 6 (view)

I'm looking for a Band...
Posted: 9/26/2013 1:43:19 PM
Pitchey ..lol used to be outa key out of tune or to be accurate poor intonation . No idea where that came from but started hearing it lately thanks for FYI
 good guitar player
Msg: 10 (view)

Any Singers and or Songwriters?
Posted: 3/27/2013 11:09:54 AM
Having been a sideman for years best I can say is be honest....seen to many singer songRIGHTERs who think the are gods gift, always right and angry the world has not yet recognized the 2nd comming of the John Dylan McCobain III. Having a song that goes GAD and on that goes ADG and a third that goes D A G with lyrics about how much you love/hate your GF does not make you Cole Porter. So before you risk it all be realistic get opinions from pros n strangers(crowds) your friends will never be honest enough. Giging will be the acid test. As was said earlier:You got to be in a place with others who want to make it. That post refered to CL in LA being full of talent. The difference is CL in philly is pathetic....took me months to find a bassist and drummer for a cover project, amazed we played Pigs 3 different 0nes, What is and What shound never be and Voodo Chile off the cuff.
 good guitar player
Msg: 154 (view)

best drummers
Posted: 3/23/2013 1:33:00 PM
I never cared for Genesis from start to finish, but Phil could play, Check out his side project Brand X, sonds like Mahavisnu crossed with relayer era Yes.

6string
Black Dog was JP Jones riff. Used to be a great Bass Player article on line with jones on the time sig and the right way to count it.
 good guitar player
Msg: 12 (view)

how soon is now
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:53:20 PM
I love that tune and how they built upall the guitars. Saddly the rest of the Smiths stuff never seemed as amazing, good stuff but that one was it!
 good guitar player
Msg: 4 (view)

Do we lose our passion for music with age ?
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:49:17 PM
Yes as a
listener we do. We have less time to delve into, fewer people to hip us to new stuff that good and most of all our tastes and values were formed in the past and the sounds we loved are not what new stuff uses. on the other hand my making of music seems to take up more time that it did at `17
 good guitar player
Msg: 7 (view)

Heavy Metal Guitar Effects?
Posted: 1/4/2013 1:56:37 PM
I tend to old school so run an Echoplex a phase 90 or univibe and some sort of drive based on what I am playing .....treble boost Ts808, Fuzz face Klon copy or a Tonebender. I have an ME 50 but never use it, I like a simple set up to hear the wood tubes and speakers.....too much digital crap will make a 59 burst sound like a 200.00 epi....but that's just what I think

BUT
There are no set rules what works works.I remember reading Bob rock had Hetfield using a 52 tele on some tracks. Last night was screwing around and got a nice malcom young sound with a strat and a cranked AC30. so what you see and think may not be what your hearing, ya gotta listen. Honestly an old 4 hole marshall can do it all. Hit it with an Treble booster and your in Sabbath/ Rainbow tone range. Even a TS808 will let you go from Hendrix to Soundgarden with a 4 hole marshall.....To me the key is a good felixable amp like an OLD marshall and a boost pedal of some sort, No one mentioned the 4x12. you can try all you want but the thump of the 4x12 is prat of the sound from Cream to the present in heavy music
 good guitar player
Msg: 2 (view)

Agent Orange, July 27th in North Hollywood.
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:37:36 PM
Do they still tour , I have not seen them in 15 years maybe killer band.
 good guitar player
Msg: 25 (view)

Favorite manufacturer of electric guitars?
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:29:48 PM
owned a bunch of brands over the years but alway come back to Gibson and Fender, gues that what I learned to play one and any deviation never feels right. Some types just don't work for my style, Ibanez,Kramer for example. However what they have been doing the last few years as well as martin and guild seems to delute their quality. So I tend to buy vintage or used but even then you have to picka bunch to find the good. For example I have 76 firebird that is better than my 91 and it sounds as close to abuddies 63 as any 2 guitars can be. On the other hand played a bunch of nationals from the 20's n 30's, wound up with a 2008 national tricone. So each one has to be judged on its own not common wisdom or hype and what works for you may not work for me.
 good guitar player
Msg: 11 (view)

Sons of the Beatles
Posted: 12/29/2012 2:18:46 PM
Lets be honest excluding Zak these kids don't have 1/10 of dads talent such a meeting of minds would be awful at best and a stylistic ego mismash of bland label run pop
 good guitar player
Msg: 30 (view)

Songwriters whose lyrics are erroneously thought to be profound
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:37:30 PM
Wow all this slagging the Beatles, I agree some of the stuff was maudlin english music hall crap, and they'd have said so about a lot of paul work...lol. Seriouly I saw Neil Peart mentioned, there a basements full of stoned Nerds who'd put this guy next to shakespere in relating the human condition. When he spews rather bad ayn rand scifi based lyrics, that mean somthing dude.
 good guitar player
Msg: 9 (view)

Musicians who date Musicians
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:15:20 PM
I have done it and it works well but.....There are so few female musicians that it is hard to find one.
 good guitar player

Do you still enjoy Rod Stewarts music
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:11:48 PM
Gotta get Truth to hear the Best of the JBG

after he left the Faces I avoided his work at all costs
 good guitar player
Msg: 21 (view)

Musicians, What is your favorite cover tune to play?
Posted: 11/11/2009 6:32:19 PM
Echos by pink floyd ....we used to do that years ago and it was an experience to play

2nd palce would be Dazed n Confused or Voodoo Child ...hard choice
 good guitar player
Msg: 5 (view)

Favorite Nirvana songs!
Posted: 10/20/2009 6:10:06 PM
Always loved Breed and big long now
 good guitar player
Msg: 14 (view)

Why does the Rock&Roll Hall of fame ignore Progressive Art Rock?
Posted: 9/29/2009 7:20:12 PM
if that is true then Bo Diddley was too experimental so maybe they oought to call it quits after chuck berry
 good guitar player
Msg: 8 (view)

Why does the Rock&Roll Hall of fame ignore Progressive Art Rock?
Posted: 9/8/2009 8:00:36 PM
Tull won a grammy for best Hard Rock and metal.....and they had a major album that year and were ALWAYS a very heavy hard rock /art rock band maybe even a bit of early 70's metal.....it's just Lars was a **** aobut not getting his grammy

the RnR HOF really only caters to critics darling band or bands who are SO big it would look odd to snub them. So Arroshit is in and the VU is in but Rush is sol. So if lester bangs(critics darling) or Jann wenner(sell out to RS ) loved ya your in.
 good guitar player
Msg: 41 (view)

Elitists.
Posted: 8/3/2009 3:53:12 PM
Wow must have really piss'd you off by admitting I am an elitist because my musical experience lets me judge better why things have quality/integrity or orignality to them and that I seek out other things and works that strive for the same. Seems to me the real idot craves the LCD.....be it a poser black metal bad or budwiser.
 good guitar player

RIP John Martyn
Posted: 8/2/2009 9:55:36 PM
Sad loss
John Martyn, Davey Graham and Bert Jansch. sort of the acoustic version of Beck Page and clapton from the 60's. have some tracks he did with Bert, great stuff, Martyn was a leader in a fusion of styles from asia america and europe that was pioneered by these 3 in the early 60's and was used by acid rock, metal ,fusion, art rock and spawned world music.
 good guitar player
Msg: 39 (view)

Elitists.
Posted: 8/2/2009 9:45:58 PM
I am one and very proud of it, and not just music,Language, Education, Alcohol, Polticis,Movies, Literature, Art and Food, not really i will eat at Mickey D's so it's not possible. Rather buy Antiques then levitz or Ikea. As a Musician I feel I know whats good, as in well played ,creative and what is artistic. Not the current trend I wanna be famous and be rich so listen to me whine, or I am a bad ass who will bust a cap in your ass: which so much rock has become. Now that does not mean you may not enjoy it, but it means that I will not respect your taste,nor will I waste my time trying to correct your mistake, unless you drag it out in my presence. I am Snob: not in terms of class or wealth but in the things you can choose and decide upon.....there are so many amazing things created by humans why accpet dreck. Most musicians of the last 50 years are lyrically but a pimple on Dylans ass or Musically a toddler next to Coltrane
 good guitar player

Modern rock has nothing on Album Rock
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:52:42 AM
I hear a wide rang of new -ish things North Miss allstars, Detroit Cobras, Brian Jonestown Masscare, Tings Tings ...all I can think of I just got up. Or even local act sor people I have played with or auditioned for and IN truth ....NONE of them even have any thing close to a cool idea or a classic song,, it's not horrible but seems that one or two songs are great and the rest luke warm at best...nor is there any growth. I like the band crackers 1st 2 albums....seems they are still doing the same thing. What made the old bands great was , the had an idea mined it for all it was worth and then did a next thing or sound the Beatles are the classic example, the Clash did too listen to THE CLASH in 77 and Sandanista...wow or ZEP I to IN through the out door...is that the same band? Soundgarden was one of the last bands that did that to some extent. Now Chris Connell get pilloried for doing new things. It DID not die there are just bands who are controlled by thier Labels or bands who are DIY. Saddley the old days are gone when making a record required a lot of Skill and money. That acted as a hurtle weeding out the chaff. So with the mass of music available it iis almost impossilbe to locate quality.So like a conversation in a room of screaming people if there is anyone saying something wise good good luck hearing it. Also DJ were inmportant taste makers, they had more freedom and if you heard the other stuff they played or recomended you often took a chance. Got turned on to the VU ,Traffic, Fairport Convention, King Crimson, Televison, Uriah Heep and Roy Buchannon amog others. Now they are machines for the most part
 good guitar player

Accessories for Yamaha CP25 Electronic Piano
Posted: 7/20/2009 11:37:05 PM
Try searching the web. I have found parts for Hammonds Leslie and Rhoades on the net. so Search around and try some of the music gear forums, TGP HC ....might be a place fopr keys as well. also srearch overseas, Got massive suppply of tapes for a Roland space echo. By the way are the legs metal poles/pipes like a mic stand on a fender Rhoades, if so the might be a standard thred and parts supplier might have them. Also Craigs list might have a beat unfixable one search it for one to canablize
 good guitar player
Msg: 2475 (view)

The guitar player's [GEAR] thread
Posted: 7/17/2009 7:13:04 PM
go to the stewmac web site the have all the supplies plus books et al to get you through the process. IN truth best to get a pro, but good luck and check their site
 good guitar player

i think its racism that they don't want to bury michael jackson at neverland
Posted: 7/14/2009 4:51:52 PM
Richmen told another Richman's family you cant do that ..... NOT RACISM

Cop pulling over a guy for DWB...that is , Stop being an idiot and focus on the real problems in America. Don't go hunting for them where they don't exist
 good guitar player

OH LA LA!
Posted: 7/8/2009 11:21:42 PM
Would not take free tickets to see ROD. waste of talent without JEFF BECK or the Faces to overcome the velveta factor. see him do piss poor renditions of big band tunes..not in this liftime
 good guitar player

OH LA LA!
Posted: 7/2/2009 8:28:57 PM
Just got their first one they did Rod n Ronnie as the Small Faces. just great playing say wood with mac years ago on a small tour, great show. You forget ron wood could play gutiar before he was in the stones
 good guitar player

Joe Jackson comments
Posted: 6/30/2009 12:15:26 AM
That is a family of douchebags...janet always seemed the only classy one.

HOWEVER seeing joe on TV I felt sad for this poor man who lost a son. Joe was a crappy dad and MJ was pedo, wacko freak show, yet they were still parent and child Joe seemed so lost my heart went out towards the man, he had no idea on what to do.
 good guitar player

Woman beating song by The Beatles
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:43:40 PM
It comes out of the Rural Blues tradtion that john ia aping . There are dozens of songs like that, John took that lyrical genre and made it 60's pop. Read the lyrics and they may hold some value: the singer is a thug and she appears to be a bimbo. neither of them are decent folks, acting in a mature honerable way. now it might make one think...how do my actions effect my partner, why does she run around, why is he so crazy.....maybe the song requires us to look at ourselves and choices in a honest light.
 good guitar player
Msg: 18 (view)

Chinese Guitars
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:19:04 PM
I dont think anyone is saying Gibson or forget it. I started on a memphis Les Paul which was 139 bucks and set neck, truth be told a fantastic starter guitar. But not a good Gibson. Sure Tommy or Beck could make a Global sound good, part of the benes of being a genius.

Finish flaws are les likely with a thick coat polyester, than the old nitro or the new formulation, that is why MIC ones may have fewer "issues" not that they get more attention. So like all guitars squire to vintage collectors piece, cherry pick the best of the lot, if you got a bad finish or shit guitar it's on you. Still finish or grain is of secondary concern to me Tone and feel are my issues. My 1st LP was an old gold top refined to an orange burst with no grain and rusted hardware, a Paf and a Dimarzio along with a headstock repair....FUGLY but the sound was all that mattered.
 good guitar player
Msg: 15 (view)

Chinese Guitars
Posted: 5/20/2009 2:14:02 PM
well 225 + 300+150= 675 not cheap. Did the same thing with an 84 squire , you can get lucky...made it to ape 52 speccs with used parts and for 375 it is a killer tele, for the 10 seconds I need a tele, and no it is not as good as a 67 I had or a buddys 52 Ri, but it was cheap and fun.made a gilmour copy from a 80's squire strat and it's nice but nothing to write home about, my 62 and 79 kill it, I got lucky on the tele. Buying a custom guitar can be a shot in the dark, no 2 chunks of wood are the same so to me that is dumb, as is mail order.....I want to try it and see if it's for me. how it sounds is all that matters.

Yes I am stupid and paid and traded for a used 02 58 ri, it was my exact specs and what I wanted, hit a D chord knew it was for me, complex rich resonant and fat. not all custom guitars are great some are real dogs,I have palyed a few, just pretty wood. At 2800 it was a close as I have ever come across to The best burst I ever played, a 1958 used by mick ralphs. 2800 was a bargin.
 good guitar player

Chinese Guitars
Posted: 5/19/2009 8:36:25 PM
300. on a mm is not a lot. curious how is it being used: in a high gain, or lots of effects rig, that tends to make the wood and guitar secondary. The diodes and chips are your tone, the guitar is just a trigger. Now right into a old Supro Bassman or 4 hole marshall with only a cable, that is another story. once played Micks Ralphs 58 burst from mott the hoople days into a peavy bandit.....might as well have been vietnamese carlo robelli
 good guitar player
Msg: 8 (view)

Chinese Guitars
Posted: 5/18/2009 7:45:55 PM
GC is where Gibson dumps their crap or it gets abused and becomes crap due to neglect. I notice the comments seem to be about the quality instrument in terms of finish , size and electronics. How do they sound....that is what matters. Covered in plastic with mutlipiece plywood, I doubt the tone is there. think my 300 62 melody maker would cut it to ribbons.
 good guitar player

The Kinks
Posted: 5/14/2009 4:18:34 PM
Waterloo sunset is one of the BEST guitar solos. Still my favorite tune of theirs is Victoria, which has some cool licks. Even do it again and living on a thin line from their next to last album was great stuff, where there peers were putting out crap in the mid 80's
 good guitar player
Msg: 3 (view)

omg, I love PM Dawn!
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:46:59 PM
Always liked the tune downtown venus ...sort the funky 60's acid rock vibe...gues sreminded of hendrix a bit, despitie it not being a guitar based tune
 good guitar player
Msg: 23 (view)

Gigs you have attended recently?
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:38:56 PM
jeff beck and Brian jonestown massacre this month
 good guitar player

Do you play any unusual musical instruments?
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:39:23 PM
I play sitar a bit badly but few can tell...lol. It is an instrument that requires a lifestyle
 good guitar player

Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Posted: 4/22/2009 8:37:25 PM
Beck Clapton and Page were already inspired, peers not really influences, Page and Beck were much more Rockabily Les Paul fans not Blues pureits . The revieved use a Les Paul is often credited to MB, Reall Keith Richards was using a burst in 64 as to influencing EC it was Freddy King, why he got an LP for Mayhall. No matter great stuff. Watch the Newport clips and you'll regret Robbie Robertson was Dylan's gutiar player, MB is just killer
 good guitar player

Laurel and Hardy statue unveiled
Posted: 4/20/2009 4:44:02 PM
Very nice ....is there one in LA? or Georgia. Really great masterful comics, part of the holy trintiy along with the Marx Bros and Stooges
 good guitar player

Phil Spector Found Guilty
Posted: 4/13/2009 3:44:40 PM
6 years .....money buys justice..or injustice and delays

so CA record is OJ , Blake , LAPD king beating innocent Vs Spector guilty....3 and 1
 good guitar player

CCM - Contemporary Christian Music
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:10:12 AM
You know the joke ...take a kiss song change every " oh baby " to jesus and you got a christian rock song....

."Besides all the best bands are in league with Satan "
Bartholomew J. Simpson
 good guitar player

Your biggest mistake as an artist?
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:02:47 AM
My friends sister went to evergreen college in WA. in 88-87, she said there was a great music scene out there with like minded folks who loved English 60-70 rock and punk....Hendrix to Black Flagg. She said we'd fit in real well and our band ought to move out there, we said no seattle is too depressing it rains all the time......In retrospect not a wise idea, then again I did turn down a gig with a band who got booked on the lilth fair in a VERY minor spot...opening for the opnenig acts opening acts opening act ...zig when I oughta zag
 good guitar player
Msg: 3 (view)

Philadelphia is stuck back in the day on music, anyone agree?
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:45:43 AM
Maybe you should have checked the scene before you came here. Philly always has had a bad local music scene. In the 60's it was the Nazz the 80's the Hooters and now the roots and not much else, very back biting and petty. No matter what you tastes Sinatra zep or roots if they play it they only play the big hits on the radio, been that way since the early 70's on FM even longer on AM, even so call open minded stations like xpen won't break the rules. Best to have a CD in the car. keep moving on the NYC
 good guitar player
Msg: 15 (view)

Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 4/9/2009 8:53:07 PM
Seems like a good guy, seems like his politics are right IMO.In general seems like a man you can respect in a industry ripe with azholes, from bar bands to david geffin. Might be a cool guy to talk music with and old obscure tunes. Tries to put on a great show.....all that said his music leaves me cold and living in philly the hype over him is awful. Nebraska is maybe the only thing that he did that finds any resonance with me. Overall for all his positives, the hes bores me and I am unimpressed.
 good guitar player
Msg: 9 (view)

Clapton
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:05:56 PM
Mayhall to 461 ocean Blvd. ..Eric is interesting great visonay or just ok, never reall warmed to D&D, his tone onthat album is brittle. To me after 74 he did nothing of interest, just another fat cat in a armani who lost his soul
 good guitar player
Msg: 107 (view)

was kurt kobain very clever?
Posted: 4/5/2009 10:53:37 AM
I think Cobain was very talented. Interesting lyrics that encourage more introspection and reflection more than lick my love pump...sorry Spinal Tap was on AMC at 2AM. As to his ability to play guitar. I heard some boot from the early days, when they were local or just new on Sub pop and he was good. EVH would not be worried but better than a lot of names who make a living. They were not about solos and that how most guitar get judged, by that logic Freddie Green from the Count Basie band sucked. So kurt will never get respect, then again Harrison had to tune Lennons guitar for many years. Cobain was a song writer , so Dylan or Springsteen seems more in line that say Vai. All said in done I liked his chord progression and riff and the lyrics were good. Herd a tape of his last show in Rome from the sound board. Alwas made me wonder why he killed himself when the band was that shit hot solid and tight. I think he was a guy who got sick of the hype and realized playing was not fun most of the time ,so shows were hit or miss. That might be the common factor. Lack of Practice, drugs and malise about one place in the world and music is now a job just like working at a fast food joint...that might kill anyones soul or passion to play.
 good guitar player
Msg: 26 (view)

Guitarists: It's all in the fingers, right!!! Jeff Beck is god.
Posted: 4/4/2009 4:14:32 PM
Going to see him WED. night
 good guitar player

Dunno about todays guitarist
Posted: 4/1/2009 6:44:23 PM
Really don't consider them today's......The Clowns from Nickle Back or the Jonas brothers are really more today. I agree speed is not all it cracked up to be ...but guys who say that can't play fast. Guitarist are ego's with a guitar so they are always justifing "Why" somthing is this way or that. Not a fan of any of them but they can play some good stuff, rather hear a lot of other guys but they have feel, not all feel is the johnny lee hooker type. Just may be a feel you don't conect with.
 good guitar player
Msg: 17 (view)

Are you not of your generation musically speaking
Posted: 4/1/2009 6:36:14 PM
"how many freakin times can you hear pour some sugar on me, back in black or (yuk) honky tonk woman. good grief!"

buy some more CD's then.

Yeah they do get burned out but let them rest a few years. For 10 years I tuned Stairway off any time any where. Then one day I listened to it after years n years and remembered how good it was.
 good guitar player
Msg: 13 (view)

Are you not of your generation musically speaking
Posted: 3/31/2009 5:19:40 PM
Me :I just got a Brian jonestown massacre album and the Dandy Warhols CD from a fela market.....new stuff for an old dog
 good guitar player

Little Feat is deserving of...
Posted: 3/29/2009 7:48:38 PM
Get over it there are a lot of great bands who are not in there, some have more influence than the feat and maybe better who knows maybe not. THE RNRHOF....is an club for critics darlings and and to parphrase the line about the holy roman empire

Not very rock n roll nor much of a hall of fame....hall of shame. This was satans music now it's got a hall of fame ....be proud they are not in it.

As Groucho said roughly to the effect "I wouldn,t join a club that would have me as a member"
 good guitar player

Uptown Girl
Posted: 3/29/2009 7:42:08 PM
Well said surfguitar..

read a RS interview with him and he was trying to show how punk he was at the time and raging on about how pompus things like yes zep and floyd were. he did not stop to think he was A major target of guys like Lydon and Strummer. he just joined a new fad by putting on a pink coat . He came across like he was the keeper of the soul of rock, when he is more a pop adult comtep artist. lover of 50's music but more pat boone than Bo Diddly or link wray

Show ALL Forums