Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Americans seeking people outside of the USA...
 techgirl27
Msg: 47 (view)

Americans seeking people outside of the USA...
Posted: 3/17/2014 11:41:10 PM
Thank you for posting this thread and asking this. I have been trying to get a discussion of issues on this topic going in another forum- not the same but from a different perspective - and pof is having none of it. I don't think its dangerous or pathetic at all. The problem comes when people are not open minded about this topic.

I met my ex online and moved to England and lived there for almost 8 years before moving back to the US. I got my "marriage single entry" visa through the British consulates in Boston/NY. I used the Boston office, but they had to send it with my US passport to NY to be processed.
 techgirl27
Msg: 16 (view)

A Kitchen Roll Conundrum
Posted: 3/17/2014 11:24:39 PM
You'd want to load it so you pull the paper towel across you from left to right, so you'd load it counter clockwise.. Otherwise you end up having to pull your arm way out away from your body.
 techgirl27
Msg: 390 (view)

What makes a woman over 40 sexy?
Posted: 3/16/2014 11:13:03 PM
I am pining to know the answer to this. Most people I talk to can't believe I'm the mom of two teenagers, but I am.
Just from my point of view, I would like to think (or hope at least!) that it is less about jeans size and more about how open your mind and heart are. Naturally, people who don't neglect their health, teeth, etc are going to appear more attractive to more people, but what is the real answer? Interesting Q because at this age, a lot more should have "already gone wrong" in many people's eyes. To me, intelligent is the new sexy, from my point of view at least.
 techgirl27
Msg: 1 (view)

Boston Red Sox 2014!!
Posted: 3/16/2014 10:59:56 PM
Opening day is right around the corner, with the 2014 season arriving.

What are you seeing discussion-worthy of Red Sox players? Red Sox news? Hey, we have a world series title to defend!

I'll get it going by saying from what I've seen in spring training, Buchholz is doing great, and Sizemore is really showing some good things. Middlebrooks too seems to be getting his feet back. What do you think of the April schedule?

Keep this thread clean, civil, and supportive!!
 techgirl27
Msg: 36 (view)

Bass players thread....
Posted: 3/16/2014 10:36:15 PM
I agree 100 percent. I am classically trained and it makes a huge difference. I am far from the most advanced skilled bassist people will see, but my musicality, musicianship, and music skills are usually far and away above the other band members I play with. It helps significantly when I can explain they have to "add a note" to make it a 9th chord, or explain the reason why I am not playing the root in a chord. I can read music and play by ear. Personally, lead sheets drive me up the wall but they can be useful when I am first learning something.

Its been a while since I posted here. I play electric (4 and 5 string) and orchestral bass. Been doing music since I was 6 and low strings since I was 9. I love my 5 string! I so dig those low notes. I always say, let me show you my longneck and its not a beer!
 techgirl27

POF Meet N Greet @ WW Fairfields, Sept. 17, 2011, Richardson, Texas
Posted: 9/11/2011 12:17:45 AM
I am moving that day, but if I am back by then I definitely want to come!
My new place is Richardson, so real close.
 techgirl27
Msg: 151 (view)

At what age do you Just Give Up?
Posted: 6/8/2010 3:27:37 PM
I gave up when I couldn't come up with a good enough answer for "why is someone as good as you still single?" and those are the last words I ever hear from them.

There wasn't an age. But I have completely given up on finding anyone. No matter what I do to better myself or how much confidence I have, nothing makes any difference. Even dropping to a size 6 wasnt enough. But if they find me, then that's great. We can talk.
 techgirl27
Msg: 14 (view)

Are there any decent looking ladies that go to these POF get togethers
Posted: 5/22/2010 11:40:12 PM
I guess it worked, I got a few compliments on my hair tonight, but no date requests. Sometimes guys will just email you after the event, when they've had time to think about who they saw.
 techgirl27
Msg: 13 (view)

Are there any decent looking ladies that go to these POF get togethers
Posted: 5/21/2010 8:21:37 PM
You can always head over to the discussion forums and chat about what expectations should be.

I have had my hair trimmed - same style as my pic but a few inches off layers for summer - and deep- conditioned since the pic was taken, so it looks a lot better than that stack of straw I had for that photo!! I often get mistaken for a 20-something because my complexion is so fresh and I am in overall good shape and healthy. There really isnt much more to be desired than that.

I agree about the age range part of it though. I have the same issue.
 techgirl27
Msg: 27 (view)

COME CELEBRATE LEI DAY SAT. MAY 22 AT THE YUCATAN BEACH CLUB IN COPPELL
Posted: 5/21/2010 8:13:56 PM
I am soooooooo there!
 techgirl27
Msg: 18 (view)

COME CELEBRATE LEI DAY ON SAT. MAY 22, 2010 AT THE YUCATAN BEACH CLUB IN COPPELL, TEXAS
Posted: 5/19/2010 12:27:48 PM
mmm, looks fun!!
 techgirl27
Msg: 2 (view)

The acceptability of lying
Posted: 4/26/2010 11:43:57 AM
If something looks better on her than something else, she wants to look best for you. Rather than focus on the "fat" word, you could lift the other piece of clothing up and say "this one is way better" or "I like this on you better". That is positive feedback that is the "skinny" on the looking fat question.

I do basically the same thing if he asks me about something. Its not a "fat" or "sexy" question but for an opinion just the same. I always say "this one makes you look awesome" or "this one would look really good on you". Why not focus on the positive? That isnt lying (flat out saying "no, honey" every single time when you can't bear to say the truth) and is actually helpful.
 techgirl27
Msg: 30 (view)

at almost 40 how do you stay modern with out sacrificing morals
Posted: 4/26/2010 11:30:55 AM
I'm asking the same question as the OP -
Giving myself up for sex without thought of any future with someone isnt something I was raised to accept. Ditto for accepting or trusting liars, or people who wont make even a small sacrifice for your time. I have strong character and self respect, and sometimes I feel like it is sidelining me in the tide of the cesspool.

Dancing? I love dancing, and don't see anything wrong with that, or beyond that. It's a social activity, not a lifetime commitment to that person.
 techgirl27

The acceptability of lying
Posted: 4/26/2010 11:24:04 AM
Should we tolerate lying? Is lying ever OK? It is probably the most hurtful form of deception and distrust. The "won't matter" ones are worse because they show such disrespect for the other person, it says they don't matter. If you can't respect someone enough to at least tell them the truth, then just tell them already you don't want to speak to them again.

Should we "go with the flow" and be more "open" to hurtful behavior, or should we nix people out of our lives when we found out they've lied to us? About anything. What would you do?

This is a real question, not a rhetorical or redundant one.
Nothing's happened to me at all recently, I just want to open the discussion up, both sides.
 techgirl27
Msg: 42 (view)

Waiting to have sex, a deal breaker?
Posted: 4/17/2010 2:01:13 PM
Lost Chord - you put it really well into words what is necessary before sex can be in the picture (post 62). Its unfortunate more men don't think like that.
 techgirl27
Msg: 6 (view)

Is there still a Sexuality forum?
Posted: 4/17/2010 1:46:39 PM
I dont see it anymore (it was there this past week). Maybe my eyes are going?

ETA - it just appeared?? I refreshed a few times, navigated around the forums and it wasnt there each time, but on my last click it showed up.... maybe it was someone's mistake they realized?
 techgirl27
Msg: 37 (view)

Posted: 4/16/2010 9:28:46 PM
The 5 minutes was an extreme, but all too increasingly common, example of what men seem to expect from women. I am not "dating" these men, believe me they wont even get the time of day from me if they try that. As for being the "wrong type of men" well if they aren't all that way, find me one that isn't because they aren't anywhere near here. Besides, how can you tell if a stranger is the "wrong type" ahead of time? That's crazy to be able to expect someone to know that, especially when they expect things to happen so fast. I just know that I deserve better than that, and if he doesn't think I'm worth waiting for, he isn't worth my time. "Complaining"? Only a complaint to you because you think women should give their whole intimate selves to real strangers, and when they won't for you, *you* see it as a complaint.
 techgirl27
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 4/13/2010 2:40:02 PM
how long depends on the person, how much time they're going to spend with me getting to know me, etc. I don't think I mentioned anywhere about not having sex til marriage. It would be nice but not realistic, so to find a happy medium where we've achieved a greater comfort level around each other and at least committed to be exclusive... that could be any length of time depeding on the person and their willingness to step up to the plate. For me personally, having at it with a guy who is still sleeping around isn't very, well, dignifying. I still haven't come up wtih a good reason why I should give up my intimate self for someone who has basically given up nothing for me.
 techgirl27
Msg: 42 (view)

hairy chests or smooth
Posted: 4/13/2010 2:23:25 PM
I like a little bit of hair, but chewbacca can go back to the jungle.
 techgirl27
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 4/13/2010 11:47:33 AM
My profile also says I have kids. And this isn't about no sex ever, its just about not jumping in bed with someone you barely know. You'd run fast from that? A lot of women would be grateful for that.
 techgirl27
Msg: 28 (view)

41 and he has false teeth?
Posted: 4/13/2010 11:44:52 AM
I have to admit, I thought it was kind of weird he kept fooling with them right there in front of me. Those who have said I wasn't comfortable with him, are turning out to be right. _After_ I posted this thread, I found out he walked his tab at a regular place I go to (he had his check in front of him but left it anyway), so that kind of swayed things for the worse a bit if you know what I mean. I ended up paying it a few days later. Too weird. But back to the false teeth issue, I do like to hear what people are comfortable (or not) with about it. Helps me understand it a little more in today's environment.
 techgirl27
Msg: 22 (view)

Posted: 4/13/2010 11:37:27 AM
These are all good points, keep them positive and constructive. Wow, THAT on pof? A better quality thread than usual anyway. Personally, I think that if he isn't willing to take things at a pace that's comfortable for me, well then he really doesn't care about me enough to get my vote.
 techgirl27

Posted: 4/12/2010 8:51:59 AM
Is it a dealbreaker if someone wants to wait? I think it shows more self respect, and helps weed out those who walk out the door when you won't give your complete self after 5 minutes. (I had one experience where literally after 5 minutes, they left after telling me what they thought they would be getting, no plans or promises were made, or nookie words ever mentioned). Don't you want to be sure that person is going to stay with you first?? Or at the very least, know that you and they are comfortable and compatible in other ways before that? Why should the fact that I wont give my privates to a virtual stranger be a dealbreaker? (this applies to all age groups, and both guys and gals)
 techgirl27
Msg: 25 (view)

Posted: 4/12/2010 8:45:58 AM
I'm sure. Always a Contrary Larry out there. You can say anything you want on here without it ever being what you'd do IRL, just to try to show people up. Show up rhymes with..grow up. How about that?

I'm also sure that they'd say its none of your business. Get real. What's next, you going to ask the next stranger how they got their stitches? Some things are private.
 techgirl27
Msg: 24 (view)

Posted: 4/12/2010 8:23:47 AM
he wants them. pretty sure its not a medical issue. If you read the original post, it mentioned he wants his lowers done too. From what I saw, they were all there just looked crooked and neglected. Honestly, don't be ridiculous, who is going to ASK anyone personally about something like that? I was looking for real life experiences from people, not snide comments.
 techgirl27

Boston Red Sox 2010
Posted: 4/11/2010 11:34:38 AM
You know as well as everyone else that Papi didn't use "steroids". He was on a PED program, not steriods. There is a difference. Besides, its all on the MLB books and if you were watching the coverage unfold, you'd have seen the proof.
 techgirl27
Msg: 160 (view)

Apparently Im too hairy!
Posted: 3/31/2010 8:14:04 PM
about the chin hair thing - I'd just tell him that he can transplant it right onto his bald spot!
 techgirl27

Posted: 3/31/2010 8:01:32 PM
and he wants to get his lowers done. I really need to come to grips with this, and why it would be the case. To be honest, I am baffled as to why anyone would have that at that age, let alone want it. Two things come to mind, the health aspect and also I would think that it would make things umm..awkward. Perhaps I just need to understand it more? What do you make of someone that age having dentures?
 techgirl27
Msg: 890 (view)

what is everyones opin on tattoos?
Posted: 3/28/2010 4:02:15 PM
I personally don't have any. On others? One meaningful one is well, meaningful. Covering yourself in them so it looks like you're wearing a shirt when you don't have one on, not so much. Tasteful is a strong word, but most people can tell when someone's got carried away with it. I don't have a problem with the idea itself, I don't think they're evil or anything like that. I don't understand how some are so uptight when a family/friend person gets one, but me I personally wouldn't get one just because I don't want one on my own skin. Not my place to push my personal view of it on anyone.
 techgirl27
Msg: 5 (view)

Any suggestions on the best place to take West Coast Swing lessons in the ft worth area?
Posted: 3/28/2010 10:58:28 AM
I am 90% sure that Cowboys Dance Hall does it, not Fort Worth but Arlington. I'm not sure I'm able to post the link in the forum but it is cowboysdancehall dot com then select Arlington then dance lessons.
 techgirl27

Official Boston Red Sox 2010 Thread - Talk About Them Here
Posted: 3/28/2010 10:48:35 AM
Things are already heating up, with chat about Dice-K, Becks, and whatnot.
What will happen with Lowell and Ortiz at the end of their contracts coming up.
This isnt just the hot stove review, its all about winning action. It is NOT for mudslinging, and that goes for everyone (you know who you are). As I type this, opening day is right around the corner. Check on the sox website for schedule/TV info and your Red Sox Nation governor's list.

Go Sox!!!
 techgirl27
Msg: 176 (view)

Women, what do you want from men other than money ?
Posted: 3/21/2010 4:03:28 PM
I don't want money from men. I have enough of my own. What do I want? Health is far more valuable than "wealth". Also I look for responsible behaviors, that's a biggie.
 techgirl27
Msg: 6 (view)

Compliments and Constructive Criticism
Posted: 3/21/2010 9:58:35 AM
I still need to work on this. It probably has to do with that I've spent so much time in school having mistakes pointed out, that its hard for me to think a compliment is genuine or without a motive. If a friend has changed their hairstyle or a guy has gone clean shaven, I light them up with a real nice compliment. For the guys I would say "You look great, you look x years younger now", for real. I'm working on the acceptance part. Sometimes its hard to keep to just saying "thanks" but I'll try to do that and then just see how they act toward me the rest of the night.

I get told my "hair is my best asset" a lot. Not sure what to make of that one....hmm.
 techgirl27
Msg: 15 (view)

What are you Texas ladies looking for in Texas Guys?
Posted: 3/21/2010 9:52:09 AM
I can name a few things that are important to me, I hope this helps a bit. Apart from trust - both sides of it - trusting me and being trustworthy, here are some things:

Someone who stands with me in my goals, doesn't let themselves go (decline), who understands that no person or family is perfect, who doesn't balk at education, knows the value of true home economics on everything from keeping bills down to efficient cars, technical background or something else we can chat about, responsible driver, punctual, appreicates that knowing how to party and having fun doing so is good but is responsible about it, and appreciates the art of investing in anything and desires to achieve higher status. Also if you like scotch whisky that's a bonus.

We all have stresses in life and can help each other relax, but if you come with 18 bazillion stressors, it will make it hard for you. Also my idea of success is living way below my means and having a small house I can easily heat and pay off, so I have more left over at the end of the week. If yours is a gas guzzler/Ferrari and a 50-room mansion, I am not sure it will work.
 techgirl27
Msg: 57 (view)

Men in their 30s...
Posted: 3/20/2010 1:50:31 PM
Where are the single guys in their 30's? everywhere I've been its always either the 45+'s or the just out of college folks.
 techgirl27
Msg: 15 (view)

i always go for ladies with children
Posted: 2/2/2010 8:53:19 AM
Personally, I love the younger geeks! I hope to meet up with one.
BTW, I lived in the UK in my 20's, so I understand the dynamic you're talking about.
I have kiddos too (British born actually), but am back in the States now.
 techgirl27

Pulling eyelashes...
Posted: 12/3/2009 8:28:03 PM
I used to have problems pulling my hair. I dont anymore. I simply occupy my mind and time (and hands) doing other things. These days I do so much typing, I hardly think about what else I need to do, let alone things I dont. It too can go the way of former habits of nail biting, face picking, or whatever nemesis may have once bothered you.
 techgirl27

Eating Healthy on a low income?
Posted: 12/3/2009 8:17:26 PM
Roast a small chicken from the store (4-5$) and this way you know its fresh, exactly how its cooked and whats added, and it can last a week's worth of meals.

I second the ideas for oatmeal, tea, and beans. I also like natural peanut butter on wheat bread (toasted or untoasted, both are nice).
 techgirl27
Msg: 12 (view)

Dating excessively active people - can it be done?
Posted: 11/30/2009 4:16:35 PM
Right now, I'm a full time mom (and "dad"), full time student, and full time worker. Plus I play in two music groups and keep up with activities in a couple of organizations. After christmas, I'm going to drop back to 1 class and 1 music group, because I admit its become kinda crazy. A month ago, I was hardly doing any of that, it seems. I have also shifted my schedule from a 6pm finish to a 5pm finish to create a more realistic "day".
 techgirl27
Msg: 36 (view)

I'm too old to have a baby
Posted: 11/29/2009 7:27:09 PM
Those claims are based on old research. If new research were done, I am pretty sure that new findings would emerge, and would actually prove better reproductive prospects than previously claimed for women of age. More and more women are having successful pregnancies and births at ages previously unthought of.
 techgirl27

what else are you doing to meet people beside online?
Posted: 11/5/2009 9:29:59 PM
Another thing I like to do, and I absolutely love baseball, is to go to major league baseball games. Tons of guys there, and the ones that end up near me dont usually mind my sports enthusiasm :) . Its the only place, aside from a wealth seminar I went to, that I've ever seen a line for the mens room.
 techgirl27
Msg: 28 (view)

fighting because of facebook.....
Posted: 11/5/2009 8:11:26 PM
You're still talking with this gal? Amazing.

Guy or girl reading this, I'd run the other way if anyone quizzed me like that.
 techgirl27
Msg: 197 (view)

after 40 it is really hard to find a date
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:29:50 PM
Scorpios? No, I've had the worst luck with those actually.
And I already got a whole new wardrobe (dropped from a 14 to a 6 over about 18 months, so have pretty much all new clothes) and did the haircut thing. Good ideas though but looking for feedback from someone with a little more real-life and dating experience. That said, a new top can often spice the confidence up a bit.
 techgirl27
Msg: 13 (view)

What are the rules about swapping phone numbers and making the first call?
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:33:25 PM
I agree with "Only This"'s approach. If a guy really wants to talk with you, he will ask for your number. That is his sign of approval, and in my view it only works this way. Why would you want to talk with someone who won't ask for your number?

If he is just trying it on, he'll give his out unsolicited. Me, I dont like that, because that assumes a lot and sets a bad precedent. Same with texting. You dont want to get in to a chain-reaction of texts. Who ever wanted that? And dont ever give yours out without him asking - you want to give it to someone who wants it right?

As for calling first, he'll call you when he wants to talk with you. I've called first a few times where he offered his number (asks if he can give it, and I'd say ok) but he'd call each time after that.
 techgirl27
Msg: 195 (view)

after 40 it is really hard to find a date
Posted: 11/5/2009 6:01:33 PM
me I'm a very positive, outgoing, active, giving person - I even dropped to a size 6 and went to get a masters degree - and yet I still can't even seem to get a second word out of most people. With all the best will and intentions, I'm still trying to figure out why.
 techgirl27
Msg: 3 (view)

Is this guy legit or am I fantasizing? Techno nerds, also feel free to jump in!! :)
Posted: 11/5/2009 5:48:25 PM
When people try to get me to message off site (the really weird ones ask if we can use Yahoo IM the 1st or 2nd message) I just tell them I prefer to use POF or they can call me.

I would just stick to using the website messages if I were you. Why would someone who has virtually no chance of ever seeing you care so much about having your private email address?
 techgirl27
Msg: 12 (view)

what else are you doing to meet people beside online?
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:41 PM
I go to meetups. In my area there are tons of singles meetups. Go to meetup dot com to check your area.
 techgirl27

so annoying..why do people do this?
Posted: 11/1/2009 11:16:51 PM
Just remind him that exclusivity is a 2 way street. That if he wants you to commit to being exclusively with him, that you will do that at the time he does the same for you.

If he wants it from you, he's going to have to give it. Simple as that. In the mean time, dont let him sap you of your happiness, and feel free to spend time with whoever you want.
 techgirl27
Msg: 33 (view)

separated but still living together... to believe or not
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:33:16 AM
I can see both sides. I've been the separated one and I've been the one to hear about someone else's situation. I dont think we can assume anyone is a liar. Just be cautious and do what you can to learn more about them and their situation.
 techgirl27
Msg: 33 (view)

Borrowing money after 3 weeks
Posted: 10/30/2009 7:23:12 AM
I am a strong woman in many ways, but I wont ever have the guts to ask anyone for money. Its just not right.

The flip side of this is I dont give any money to people that I expect back. So unless its something I want to pay for or buy for them (and sometimes I do that in a relationship or family), I dont hand anyone cash.

Show ALL Forums