Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Unruly Children
 Rosemary24
Msg: 26 (view)

Unruly Children
Posted: 5/29/2012 4:54:50 PM
Is part of the problem that most people start having kids with no clue or concept of what is going to be required? This is the sense that I get when I see the Mom get hit in the face repeatedly by the kid she is carrying out of the store or fast food place. Any more, if I see a kid under 5 years of age come into a place of business, I count the minutes (or seconds) of when the meltdown is going to happen.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 50 (view)

Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?
Posted: 9/23/2011 7:44:51 PM
I've never thought of Mac and Cheese in the box as being attributed to one country or another. Generational, I know that a lot of American kids growing up during the 1980's were considered 'latch key kids' and made Kraft Dinner for themselves, since nobody was at home to make something for them, and it was quick/easy.

Still, how hard is it to make your own without resorting to the Day-Glo orange packet? AND you can add other things besides fake cheese to it, to make it more healthy and palatable.

Gotta have good, hot coffee on a freezing winter very early morning, or you can't get through the day, so if nothing else, Tim Horton's provides that.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 3 (view)

Where does a boring gal go to find guys?
Posted: 9/18/2011 8:08:27 PM
This is not a definitive answer, but get involved in something that forces you to see the same group of people a number of times. For example, I got started attending a Meet Up group for people that love movies. A number of us (all ages and genders) would meet to attend a movie and (this is crucial) would then go out for a coffee afterward and discuss what we just saw. I find it is easier with something you enjoy doing, rather than attending a mandatory class.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 113 (view)

What man or band is the Godfather of Heavy Metal? Let the debate begin!
Posted: 8/30/2011 7:42:33 PM
That would be Tony Iommi.
 Rosemary24

Why do some men prefer a 'hot mess'?
Posted: 12/29/2009 6:08:20 PM
No to both questions.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 1 (view)

Why do some men prefer a 'hot mess'?
Posted: 12/29/2009 5:59:00 PM
Why do seemingly accomplished, interesting and attractive men want a women like this? By 'hot mess' I mean, the only thing the women has going for her is her physical attractiveness, but she had a horrible personality, has a really screwed up life (several psychotic ex-boyfriends/husbands, trouble with the law, can't keep a job for any length of time, alot of emotional problems/drama, toxic family life, and so on). Is it really worth it?

I was just thinking of a guy that was a rather wonderful person, very secure, personable, level headed, but he took up with someone who was moderately attractive, but had a trunk load of problems that he KNEW about before he got involved with her. As it was, he hired her to work in his store, bought her presents, took her on vacation, before he even started going with her. The only conclusion I can come up with is that he might have felt that he was her 'white knight' saving the day.

Any thoughts or comments?
 Rosemary24
Msg: 13 (view)

Living Colour
Posted: 9/11/2009 6:06:06 PM
That is so odd that the band Living Colour came up, as I was listening to a metal radio show on line at work today, and they played 'Cult' and one of the new ones off 'Chair in The Doorway'.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 40 (view)

When the Levy Breaks By: Led Zepplin thought to be related to hurricain Katrina???????????
Posted: 8/24/2009 1:44:42 PM
How many different ways can you spell 'Levee' should have been the title of this thread.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 10 (view)

Are sideburns still in??
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:52:45 PM
Think Captain Kirk on the original series, now you have it.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 22 (view)

does every straight/bi woman think brad pitt is hot?
Posted: 8/18/2009 6:49:33 PM
No, not wild about his acting either. I figured out long time ago what most straight women wanted look wise in men, was foreign to what I look for in men, physically.

Several ladies here have mentioned Russell Crowe. I cannot separate the man personality and his looks. I just can't.

Don't see why other women think an overly bulked up, completely shaved male is at all appealing. Chippendale dancers,

Not wild about Johnny Depp. I like his acting and the projects he chooses to involve himself with, but looks wise, doesn't do it for me.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 19 (view)

Frustrated with online dating
Posted: 8/14/2009 9:19:08 AM
In my case, it is not so much physical attraction, as it is what are they like. The gentlemen around here write so very little in their profile. Granted, this is a free site, so they don't bother putting much thought or effort into their ads. But if you thought you even had a ghost of a sliver of an outside chance of meeting someone, wouldn't you attempt to be a little more descriptive. What are your hopes and dreams? Where and what do you like to do during your non-work time? Give me a sense of what your life is like, in general. Yes, I understand it is a numbers game, you must contact any one that you have the slightest bit of interest in. Eventually, you will get a response.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 36 (view)

Ladies, I Get It, I Finally Get It
Posted: 8/8/2009 4:54:38 PM
"She must be a real hottie, let me tell you the average woman does not get that many emails!"

I must be absurdly average, because this is the experience I have. One thing does puzzle me exceedingly though. Before I blocked my instant message feature, if I were looking at ads, either here or on !, never fail, I would get some guy, usually young, that wanted to chat, which would degenerate into him ask me if I wanted to type dirty messages to him. So, I guess I don't rate a proper email response, but I do rate an IM to see if I'm willing to talk about how 'big' he is.

Just reminds me how many sad, little creatures there are out there.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 45 (view)

Do women cook anymore??
Posted: 8/6/2009 4:55:18 PM
Sometimes I enjoy cooking, sometimes I don't. I tend to do it more and more, since I'm on a limited budget, and I just not finding restaurants that have decent food at a decent price. I don't hold with the notion that one gender should cook and other shouldn't. In my opinion, if your in a relationship, the chores (cleaning, cooking and so on) should be split more or less equal. How that is split is up to the two of you in the relationship. But neither partner, once they have agreed to split the chores, shouldn't criticize or belittle the other that doesn't do things the 'right' way. For example, I know of women that get bent out of shape if the towels aren't folded 'correctly' or the vacuuming isn't done 'right'. Either do to your satisfaction and don't **** about having to do it, or let the other party do it the way they want and don't **** about it being 'wrong'.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 44 (view)

control freaks
Posted: 7/5/2009 2:40:26 PM
What about a control freak that is related to you? My brother is one, and growing up with him in the house was an absolute nightmare. Along with being a control freak, he is extremely nervous, and is generally a unpleasant person to deal with. Luck for me, I have taken myself out of his sphere for most of my adult life (don't have anything to do with him or his family), but some of my other family is still having to deal with him. Ironically, I got flack from said family members about being unwilling to put up with him and his 'moods' initially. Now they are the ones having to deal with him. They feel they are in a bind, because of my brother's 9 year old son that they wish to still see. So glad I slipped that noose.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 169 (view)

At what age do we lower our standards on dating?
Posted: 6/4/2009 6:44:47 PM
I've seen it too many times, when someone has just settled, or hasn't had many experiences, or has low self esteem, that they hook up with someone. This in turn makes both parties unhappy, as well as friends, relatives, not to mention what children they may have. Of course, in some of these cases, the two in question will decide, "Oh well, might as well make the best of this thing, and salvage some happiness out of this."

No thank you, I would rather be by myself, rather than put myself and my family through all of that.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 6 (view)

Cheesy Shepards Pie!!!
Posted: 6/2/2009 5:11:42 PM
I thought swede was 'rutabaga'. At least it was when I was in Australia...
 Rosemary24
Msg: 12 (view)

cooking for one.
Posted: 6/2/2009 5:05:38 PM
I find I cook a lot of Italian pasta dishes. I'm one of those people that can eat a simple pasta dish (think pasta, some sort of tomato sauce, Italian spices, and usually a can of beans thrown in, topped with chopped parsley and shredded cheese) all week long. If I make an insane amount, I will freeze it in individual containers. Also, I find I tend to keep the pantry full for a quick meal if I come home tired.

I also keep bagels frozen, in case I get tired of cereal and fruit in the morning.

Plus the crock pot is my best friend during the winter. I pick up Taste of Home magazines and make/modify what they have in there.

Also, treat yourself. Keep good chocolate, whole bean coffee, and quality booze in the house for just yourself. One plus of cooking for one/living by yourself, no one else can help themselves to your stash!
 Rosemary24
Msg: 12 (view)

Man in a kilt?
Posted: 5/26/2009 6:12:55 PM
I'll admit it, I like it. I often see quite a few gentlemen wearing the utility kilt, usually in black, but sometimes in tan.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 6 (view)

A Man's Profile - Short or Long
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:10:00 PM
What I have found when I do a search is that probably 85% of the matches that have only 1 or 2 sentences. And, sadly, those 2 sentences are not all that interesting, pictures or no pictures.

I would take a well written, detailed paragraph that a man put some thought into (just a little thought, not much at all) with no pictures, rather than 5 photos of the most attractive man in the world, and a single sentence on how he likes to hunt and ride his Harley. Yeah, I am very picky.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 765 (view)

would you date a stripper?
Posted: 1/19/2009 1:52:35 PM
Typically, I don't find the average male stripper attractive. They are rather scary looking, to me, and I suspect they might not be into females anyway.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 63 (view)

Whats the #1 reason that you bother dating at all?
Posted: 1/19/2009 10:03:17 AM
Gets me closer to my end goal, which is getting into a satisfying long term relationship with a man that I love and respect.

Must admit honestly, dating has not been very fulfilling for for me.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 5 (view)

Must be financially secure?
Posted: 1/1/2009 7:05:34 PM
At the risk of getting verbal beat downs, or being accused of being a self-hating female, I'm going to say there are some women out there that are looking for a walking wallet. I've seen it in real life, sadly.
I have yet to see any mention of this in any of the profiles I've looked at, for what it is worth.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 9 (view)

Children: Open/Undecided
Posted: 12/30/2008 5:08:01 PM
I read 'Open/Undecided' in a guy's profile to mean: He may not want children, but he figures most women either have them already, or want to have them. If he indicates he doesn't want them, he may feel he has cut out some potential candidates, who view not wanting or accepting children as a deal breaker. That is my take on it.
 Rosemary24

Does height really matter?
Posted: 12/16/2008 6:51:40 PM
Doesn't matter to me a bit. I would prefer a man the same height or shorter than me if he was secure with himself, I enjoyed time in his company and I was attached to him. Sadly, some women are more concerned about not having short babies (me-don't care, as I'm not going to have kids anyway), how it will be to dance with a short man (I prefer not to dance, especially in public) and how they look in a photo, standing next to a man shorter than themselves. Better than a tall, half complete male monster.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 225 (view)

Profile Photo Does NOT Look Like the Person You've Just Met
Posted: 10/7/2008 5:36:10 PM
Maybe I am retreading over ground that has already been covered in this thread, but is there such a thing as not being able to have a decent photo taken of yourself, even professionally? Someone who might look perfectly normal in real life, but cannot photography well? (I did do a forum search for this topic, and didn't find one.)
 Rosemary24
Msg: 45 (view)

The full english?
Posted: 9/14/2008 5:05:53 PM
Um, has anyone had a full English breakfast washed down with a pint or two of brown ale? Along with tea, of course. Because that's they way I have had it.

Everyone has forgot the great big belch at the end of it all.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 7 (view)

After reading the forums, some conclusions I've reached
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:45:46 PM
I would have no problem at all with a blue collar guy. If some women feel that blue collar is beneath them, it is there lose, and possibly my gain.

I have to laugh. In the forums, I've seen threads of guys complaining that they send emails/get no replies/no emails sent in response to their profile. I've only had two 'cold' emails from people, but no biggie. I will continue to send emails to men I think I may have a chance with, just see how it goes.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 146 (view)

why don't woman wear pantyhose anymore?
Posted: 8/14/2008 6:40:48 PM
I will wear hold up black stockings. But no more pantyhose. The waist on those things either rolled down mid hip or squeezed you like an anaconda around your own waist. Then the crotch was usually at your knees, or the seam would slice you in the inner thigh all day long. Let's not forget how they would run, run, run!!! Never again.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 23 (view)

What do girls really want in the bedroom
Posted: 8/12/2008 7:05:46 PM
Hold still...so I can have my way with you.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 8/5/2008 8:03:22 AM
Thank you for the kind words. I have given some thought to expanding the 25 mile rule, but right now in my life, traverse distances every weekend or two is not possible for me right now. And it would not be fair to ask someone to accommodate me, it can lead to resentment down the road. But I'm not counting it out either, I might look at the Milwaukee or Rockford area. Something to think about, thanks.
 Rosemary24

Posted: 8/5/2008 7:30:58 AM
Hi, I'm still trying to gain my legs after being here for about a half a month. Being here hasn't immediately got me what I am ultimately after, since I'm not entitled to it in the first place, but I do feel I am on the road. The forums have helped me how to navigate the board immensely. I'm sure what I am going to relate below won't apply to most, but maybe one or two will help somebody else I don't know:

I do an advance search most of the time, but except for undecided/open or no about kids, I try to keep the net as wide as possible. That said, seeing the male profiles from the 25 miles around my area, most of them use a sentence or two to describe themselves. I don't understand this, I would think you would be able to sum your life up in more than a sentence. But at the same time, if I see anyone remotely interesting to me, I do contact them with a friendly email, with just a question or two about something in their email, or a compliment.

I don't use this site as my only way of possibly meeting someone. I do social activities, try to be out and about. Even post a profile at other free sites. I also do things that interest me, and if I meet someone, well, all well and good.

Finally, I don't get caught in the drama of what other people may or may not do. By this I mean, I just don't put a great deal of investment into a initial email, or a meeting or the first few series of meetings. Obviously, this changes when you have been dating the same person for a year, but I really don't try to read anything into the initial contact. They may have all kinds of things going on in the other person's life that is impeding them from contact, or even wanting to initiate contact. I try to give everyone the benefit of a doubt.

Finally, it is hard for me to do this, but I try to relax about this and not take it so seriously. If it happens for me here great, if I go into my dotage single, well, I will find a way to make my life meaningful to me anyway.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 127 (view)

are there really that many girls out there that like hockey?
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:56:03 PM
My Dad is a fan of the Chicago Blackhawks, and we used to watch them on tv when Wirtz allowed them to be shown on WGN, yes, this going back a number of years. I also saw them play many times at the old Chicago Stadium. Haven't followed the Hawks very much in recent years, but I do enjoy a game at the Kohl Center, watching the Badgers play. This last March, finally went to the Hockey HoF in Toronto. That was pretty neat....
 Rosemary24

Really enjoying all that this site has to offer
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:46:02 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new here, but I have to say, this whole experience has been pretty positive. Not only have I gotten answers to my emails, I've been reading the different forums here on different topics, which has been informative and entertaining. Just a theory, but I do believe you get out of it what you put into it. I do have other profiles posted on a few other free sites, but I'm not as comfortable on those, nor have I got the results like I have here.

Anyway, if there are any men in the SW Wisconsin area that want to look at my profile, please do!
 Rosemary24
Msg: 22 (view)

bookworms ,appealing or no?
Posted: 7/27/2008 6:33:21 PM
Not all romances are bad, one of my favorites is chock full of men beating each other with swords, punching their friends in the face, calling each other 'Stubborn bloody whoreson', and blinding an enemy right before you kill him, Oddly, very little sex is in it, but with the two lovers, it is more emotional and feeling their way to eventual love. But I do enjoy other reading as well.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 7 (view)

Babies in the movie theater
Posted: 7/27/2008 4:29:15 PM
It is so good to see so many people weighing in on this that are showing so much common sense on the subject. I am oh so tired of seeing overly tired kids dragged out in the dead of night, so that their parents might catch the 10 pm showing of that new R-rated film they wanted to see, or taking the kids shopping with them at the open all night Wal-Mart at 1 am. Yes, I've seen both, too many times to count. Face it, your life has changed, so for the sake of your kids, and the rest of the public out there, don't take your kids to the metal concert, the Mapplethorpe art exhibit, the S&M leather fetish fair in SF, the brewery festival with no kids activities, the wine tasting, the beauty parlor with your infant sitting on your lap while you get hair colored, the spa, and I could go on and on.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 81 (view)

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day... do you agree... what did you have today?
Posted: 7/27/2008 11:22:46 AM
Yes, Breakfast is very important, kick starts your low blood sugar, and helps you to lose weight (I saw a study where the researchers found that having breakfast was crucial to weight loss.) Today, I decided to change it up a bit, had a morning bun that I bought at the Farmer's Market yesterday, with hazelnut coffee, and an orange. But, usually, I have shredded wheat & bran, plain cheerios type of cereal, and fresh berries, now a days, I'm eating blueberries. With aforementioned hazelnut coffee, and unsweetened soy milk. Oh, and an orange.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 4 (view)

Looking for a review of my profile, please
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:08:56 AM
Just me... helping one little minnow at a time...

No, I would liken myself more to chum after the way you stated your review...but thanks anyway. You certainly keep obvious undesirable away.
 Rosemary24

Posted: 7/26/2008 8:21:42 PM
Thank you, UrsulaMajor, for your kind words. I took down the picture because Maggie found it not flattering-at all, per her post above. It has to be tough love, or it won't work. Us newbies and others have to literally beaten into shape if we have any chance at all at happiness. I'm just thin skinned, is all. But I would think Maggie would get so tired of repeating herself, and aggressively correcting faults, but no, apparently not. I didn't realize I had asked to tough loved, but I did. There won't be a next time of asking for a review, in fact, thanks to Maggie's helpfulness, I don't think this is really the place for me. Right now, I am considering what I should do. Thanks anyway.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 7/26/2008 4:34:24 PM
Thanks for the bludgeoning. I will change it immediately.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 30 (view)

To Send Flowers or Not To
Posted: 7/25/2008 7:01:05 PM
Of course, when you have decided to send flowers, you are opening up a whole new can of worms. The delivery guy will walk around the office, and every lady their will think the bouquet is for them. When it finally lands on your desk, they will, in turn, **** to their SO that 'So and so got a bouquet from her boyfriend as a just because, why don' t you ever do this for me?' type of thing.

(The above is courtesy of the old Man Show on America cable tv.)
 Rosemary24
Msg: 33 (view)

Gender-based condiments?
Posted: 7/25/2008 6:27:38 PM
Since there is a dry spice store a few blocks away from where I live, I have a few of those. Mostly to put on salad. Only one kind of hot sauce. (I always thought of hot sauce as a guy thing) No mayo. I cook Italian quiet a bit, so I find it easier to have jars of pre-chopped garlic in my refrigerator. And fresh herbs when I'm making something.
 Rosemary24

Posted: 7/25/2008 4:12:07 PM
Hi, I would like to see what I may improve about my profile. I may be coming off negative, I'm not entirely sure. I'm hoping for several people to weigh in, as I would like to see if everyone is in agreement about what changes need to be made to make my profile better. Thank you in advance.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 56 (view)

guys that listen to heavy metal: are they dateable?
Posted: 7/17/2008 3:38:52 PM
Utterly, utterly, utterly dateable!!! (Well, to me anyway) But I still reserve the right to listen to Blackmore's Night, or Gaelic folk tunes.)

Especially with a long mane...sigh
 Rosemary24
Msg: 11 (view)

The Interview Date
Posted: 7/16/2008 8:04:09 PM
There are some self help books that have one party 'test' the other party on the very first date, to see if they have the same values, morals, and all the other important things we need to know about the other person before getting too much involved with them. I actually a potential date ask me a list of questions over the phone to determine if he wanted to even meet in person. I remember one of the questions being how I would feel if the two of us were in a relationship, and he brought home a sex toy. One of the others was how I felt about children. It was blatantly obvious what he was doing, it was even conversational, as he was doing all the asking and I was the one that supplied the answers.

Show ALL Forums