Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Best response for this situation...
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 20 (view)

Best response for this situation...
Posted: 4/21/2012 2:35:48 PM
Thank you again for the replies. Just needed some impartial thoughts. Very much appreciated.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 13 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 8:04:58 PM
Thank you, Great Guy and Smart Blond. You both made good points. As far as ending abstinence....if it happens, it happens....if not, then it doesn't. It would be nice but I can wait.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 10 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 6:08:29 PM
You bring up an excellent point, MD, regarding honesty. How much is too much? I don't hide the fact that I swear and tell dirty jokes and make some pretty raunchy comments at times. So I can understand that it does appear rather contradictory. People that have known me for awhile know that I'm like this whether I'm with someone or not. It seems that if I say something to a man later on about not being with anyone for this long, that's when I hear the "You don't act like...." Grrr....Frustrating.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 8 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 5:03:22 PM
Thank you for your thoughts on this, gcdeb. It's just a weird situation to be in. I can't be apologetic because I haven't done anything "wrong" and, in some ways, I'm actually kind of proud of myself for being able to go that long without. I just was feeling rather out of the loop coming back into dating again and winging it is not something I'm very good at. So, thank you again to those that replied so far. It is appreciated.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 6 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 1:28:52 PM
"Just tell them that your "toy box" is full and you have stock in a very nice battery company, so all is good to go until you find someone to replace that energizer bunny!!"

LOL....Yay for Bob!
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 4 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 12:56:04 PM
"...it's not like not using a certain part of your body makes it migrate to another continent, leaving you genital-less!"
HAHAHA! I have to laugh at that because I was so very close to telling one person that abstinence and Alzheimer's are two entirely different things....but I didn't ....dammit.
Lee....I do love your sarcasm.
Thanks for replying, ladies.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 1 (view)

Posted: 4/18/2012 12:14:26 PM
Not sure where I should post this but since I am 45 now I thought here would be good. Looking for advice on how to handle this kind of situation....:

For the last 5 years I have been out of dating completely. Family responsibilities, health issues, ex issues, etc. However, I have maintained a generally positive outlook on life, determination and a sense of humor. That is how I keep going when it just seems like the world is falling apart. I suppose I could be whiny and all and hope someone rescues me from it, but that's just not reality. Anyhoo....here's the problem. I don't know how or when to explain the abstinence. I've tried early on and later too. Neither one seems to be a good time. I realize that my sense of humor and the way I speak aren't indicative of any of the things I've gone through but I'm not one to just curl up in a ball and gripe about it. Life really is too short to cry about it. I've heard, one too many times now, "You don't act (say or do things) like someone who......" My first instinct is to launch a sarcastic reply and ask them where they got my instruction manual because I didn't get to see it. But I don't. I usually said that I'm just determined to be happy in a way that doesn't hurt anyone and isn't illegal. I understand if they don't get it, they don't and probably won't no matter what my explanation is. So I move on. I would like to avoid this situation in the future though. Any ideas out there???
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 138 (view)

When someone points out that you're old..
Posted: 4/18/2012 11:43:38 AM
I just turned 45 last month--or, as I prefer to say, " I celebrated the 24th anniversay of my 21st birthday." It confuses the younger folks and I walk off smiling......
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 25 (view)

one night stands/sex on ther first date
Posted: 3/19/2012 11:20:12 AM
@ queenlathryn: Wow....just wow....I do get what you're maning tho. But I think it goes both ways....women can be that hypocritical to men as well...and it's sad...
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 30 (view)

Have kids, but not looking for a father for them...
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:28:55 PM
I have it on my profile. Very simply, I'm looking for someone for ME. Not a father for my kids. If a man can be a positive male role model later on, great! And that would make me very happy, but in the beginning, (as selfish as it sounds), it's about me.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 124 (view)

WOMEN....Are you afraid to settle down with a Military Man?
Posted: 1/28/2012 2:41:43 PM
I'm a military brat myself. Most of my brothers and sisters were in the military or married military spouses. It's just how I grew up tho never joined the service. Oddly enuf, I have a hard time relating to anything BUT military significant others. One guy told me he likes to play RPG games and I had to stop and realize he wasn't talking about rocket propelled grenades.
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 16 (view)

does anybody else ask off the wall questions
Posted: 1/19/2012 12:00:16 PM
I got asked what size shoes I wear....probably don't want to know why he asked that but I can probably wing a guess....and I doubt he's going to give me shoes...
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 417 (view)

Justifying Cheating?
Posted: 1/19/2012 10:32:25 AM
Maybe I'm waaaay out-of-date but I honestly don't think there is ever a "good" or "justifiable" reason for cheating. I just don't. I've seen what happens one too many times when one person in a relationship cheats--my mother and father, for instance. Dad got involved with a married lady and her husband found out. Her husband threatened to "hurt" my father in the worst way he could and would park about two houses down from our house and watch. My mother made us kids go out the back door and hop fences to get to school. I had my own experiences being cheated on--and catching the guy doing it--and then he turned around and began to constantly accuse me of cheating on him. Hello pot, meet kettle?? Nope sorry....never did, never will. Not right, not acceptable, never justified, pretty disgusting..... Just my opinion tho.....
 Thnuggaboo
Msg: 26 (view)

Strong willed... a bad thing?
Posted: 1/9/2012 10:26:55 AM
Wow....this so makes sense, uk.... In a few paragraphs, you managed to hit the nail on the head. One thing I would like to add tho is that not only do we need someone stronger than us, but we also have the strength/whatever to actually admit it as well. Just my opinion tho.....
 Thnuggaboo

Special Needs kids; to say or not to say?
Posted: 12/16/2011 8:12:55 AM
Excellent topic....I have one with Aspergers and one with Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Both are high-functioning. I'm a proud parent, what can I say? I put it on my profile right up front because I figured if you can't handle that, then you can't handle me either....maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. I was happily surprised when a very interesting man (who really wowed me later on) asked questions about how it all affects me. I have to admit, I was rather stunned....no one on here ever asked that and we've had some really good conversations since. I think he "gets it"--YAY HIM!!--and made me just wanna him.

It's really a personal choice to put it out there or not--what feels comfortable to you.
 Thnuggaboo

Dealing with someone who is virtually illiterate
Posted: 12/9/2011 11:15:42 PM
What about him possibly getting a scribe software program like Dragon or something so that he would be able to speak what he wants and it transcribes it into a written format?? Just an idea...

Show ALL Forums