Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Dying Alone
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 70 (view)

Dying Alone
Posted: 5/23/2016 5:46:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and ....ummm....some misguided advice.

Yes, my cancer is Stage 4 Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and has been since I was first diagnosed in 2008. Because it is Stage 4 does not necessarily mean that I am going to die tomorrow. I have a very strong personality with a great deal of grit of determination which I suspect will see me through this expedition as it did the previous two expeditions.

I have a stellar oncology team and I receive my treatment at one of the finest cancer centres in Canada. The Tom Baker Cancer Centre is housed within a teaching hospital in Calgary and is known to attract some very brilliant medical minds from around the world in both cancer research as well as cutting edge, state of the art cancer treatment.

As for the poster who appears to advocate litigation as a "get rich scheme", please know that I spent the better part of three decades in the legal field and can attest that those of us north of the border do not have the same "sue the b*stards" mentality as that poster seems to exhibit. Furthermore, class actions suits are not the de riguer here in Canada.

We are still exploring the diagnostic stage and I won't know much of anything about a definitive diagnosis, prognosis and treatment, until about the second week of June.

As for the Caribbean cruise, it is still on my radar. I am a last minute traveller so even had I not relapsed, I would not have been booking it until well into the fall. I will say though that I am looking forward to walking up the gangway on December 2nd barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Thanks again for all of your comments.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 54 (view)

Dying Alone
Posted: 5/16/2016 8:06:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts and well wishes. I will fight this little bugger with the same grit and determination as I did the last two times.

And, I've got my eye on a Caribbean cruise in early December. My fingers are crossed that I'll be on that sailing.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 47 (view)

Dying Alone
Posted: 5/14/2016 7:13:30 PM
I was diagnosed with cancer for the third time yesterday. Not only will I be dying alone, for the most part, I will be going through this alone with very little support. It's a darn good thing I am a strong and independent woman who faces these types of challenges head on.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 28 (view)

Dying Alone
Posted: 5/8/2016 8:37:21 PM

Not one ever said they were afraid or scared.

Wow. I am stunned by this. Were they perhaps not aware of how serious their conditions were?

In the fall of 2008, I was very ill with a yet to be diagnosed type of cancer. Apparently at that time it was thought that I was 4 to 6 weeks from death. I was alone at that time and still am. I do not recall being scared or afraid of dying but rather thinking that if this is the way I am to go then so be it. Having an expert medical team and my positive thoughts and attitude helped greatly for my success of not only experiencing cancer once but a second time as well. It wasn't my time to go but when it is, I know I will not be afraid or scared or lonely when my time comes to no longer exist.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 118 (view)

What is the reason Canada elected Trudeau Can Canada be more liberal?
Posted: 3/13/2016 9:56:10 AM

Why are all our stupidest people in Alberta?

Careful now. Not all Albertans are stupid people. It's mainly those that are Reform/Alliance/Con/Teabagger North that can be considered the stupid ones.

There are many of us Albertans who are liberal in our leanings and are very pleased with the performances of Prime Minister Trudeau and Premier Notley considering the sea of sh*t that they respectively inherited from those they were elected to take over from. It's going to be a long, tough slog trying to set things right once again from the mess the Cons left both the country and the province in.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 139 (view)

Awwwww....Canada.....
Posted: 2/13/2016 4:37:06 PM

An uneducated American is still twice as smart as a Canadian, ....

Google Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans" and have a gander at how smart your fellow countrymen are, Onyx. I distinctly remember one particular episode where Rick Mercer interviewed George W. Bush and GWB had no clue who the Prime Minister was of the country to the north of the USA. Hell, did he even know the name of the country? He obviously was one of those "uneducated Americans" you are referring to.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 60 (view)

Life without health insurance
Posted: 8/10/2015 11:57:57 AM

Isn't that intersting... When I had to send my youngest to emerg in an ambulance about 5 years ago... the flat-rate for medically-necessary ambulance services was $45.00...

And even if I had just happened to be lazy... and called an ambulance just for "the ride" when it isn't needed... It's a max of $240.00...

Mungo Joe, it all depends on which province you live in. I did a google search and the following is what came up from Alberta Health Services:

"All Albertans, regardless of where they live in the province, will pay the same rate for ground ambulance service in Alberta. The new provincial rate has two fees: $250 if a patient is treated at the scene, but not transported to a hospital, or. $385 if a patient is transported to a hospital.
also
"Dec 23, 2014 - Alberta Health pays the complete cost of ambulance services for seniors 65 ... wait times at emergency departments (Edmonton and Calgary) ..."

I happen to have auxilliary health care benefits (Blue Cross) which will cover some of the cost of an ambulance should I be in another province/country. I also have employer group health care benefits which does not cover ambulance fees.

Bottom line is it depends on where you live in Canada as to what is covered and how much ($) is covered.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 194 (view)

It looks like POF has already made some changes.
Posted: 7/26/2015 5:48:13 PM

The little dots mean that the entire piece has NOT been quoted and indicates there is more to the sentence if the reader wishes to know the entire quote although they only had to look back a few posts.

But go ahead, add little friggin dots and make shit up, misinterpret, believe what ever your little heart desires. It doesn't make you right.

The use of the ellipses is standard writing practice. It's not something 2ufo made up to piss you off!

" An ellipsis is a set of three periods ( . . . ) indicating an omission. Each period should have a single space on either side, except when adjacent to a quotation mark, in which case there should be no space.
Ellipses are most useful when working with quoted material. There are various methods of deploying ellipses; the one described here is acceptable for most professional and scholarly work." ThePunctationGuide

I totally agree that "..." is the correct way to cite something wherein you are not setting out all of the cite but merely the pertinent part to the discussion. This is commonly used in the legal field and the poster who took issue with this ought to know this. She spent many occasions telling the world of her vast experience in the legal field in Edmonton albeit in the accounting department of a law firm! ROFLMA
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 13 (view)

OMG - Hell just froze over...
Posted: 5/9/2015 9:00:40 AM

What's interesting is that Albertans elected a government that promised higher taxes. There's a recognition in the need for government and public services combined with the need to pay for them.

As an Albertan, I personally don't have a problem with paying a higher tax to support essential public services such as health care and education which benefit the taxpayer. While I certainly cannot speak for all Albertans, I think what the election results did show was that Albertans are no longer willing to pay more in order for the corporations to reap benefits from the overburdened taxpayer. It is now time for the corporations to step up to the plate and pay their fair share of taxes too.

The good ol' boys Con government were in bed with the corporations and would never raise corporate taxes lest they lose their support - both financial and otherwise. The new NDP government is showing that it is a government for the people, by the people and intends to very moderately raise the corporate tax which is long overdue. There may very well be some minor fallout from this but I suspect it will be of little consequence.

I think the bottom line for * most * Albertans is that we don't mind paying for what we are receiving but we do object to paying for what we will never expect to receive or to reap the benefits from. I am also of the opinion that Alberta will see a sales tax imposed and, again, this will be necessary for Alberta to dig its way out of the sea of red that the Conservatives have burdened the taxpayers with for the benefit of the corporations.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 7 (view)

OMG - Hell just froze over...
Posted: 5/6/2015 9:16:59 AM
I awoke this morning to see a bright orange sunrise here in Calgary as did the rest of Alberta. It was a glorious sight!

I am more of an Alberta Party and/or Liberal supporter than I am an NDP supporter but Alberta desperately needed to punt Prentice and his Cons and the NDP was a strategic and viable vote to facilitate that change. The people of Alberta spoke last night and they spoke loudly and with conviction.

Interestingly, when Prentice lost the election but won his seat he decided to not only step down as PC leader but also quit his riding seat before all the votes were counted even though at the end of the night he had won his riding. Talk about sour grapes of a quitter and taking his bat and ball and skedaddling outta the sandbox when he's losing. I guess that's how dictators act. Now, we need to get to work on ridding Canada of Harper.

Clearly, the Cons got conned by themselves in the Alberta election and it looks good on what's left of them.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 2 (view)

URGENT!!!
Posted: 3/13/2015 3:43:39 PM
Call the Montreal Police to report your findings. Use their non-emergency number and explain the situation in detail.

I'm amazed that you would not have immediately thought of this without having to post a request for advice on a forum board.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 97 (view)

Astrology, psychic's, guessing and just plain b.s.
Posted: 2/21/2015 3:01:45 PM
Karma, while it was totally unnecessary for your to expand on the demise of your sister, I personally thank you for putting yourself "out there" and explaining the correlation between astrology, her cancer and her death. You have probably set yourself up for more abuse from the very harsh critics and naysayers but please know that I "get it".

You have given me cause to dig out my own natal chart and take a look back at it as it relates to both my episodes with cancer as well as other recent events in my life.

Thank you again, Karma, for being so candid and upfront in the face of such adversity.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 458 (view)

Armed pizza robber gets extra topping.
Posted: 2/5/2015 10:02:34 AM

eric_summit wrote: Citizens of other countries entirely distraught by freedoms enjoyed by patriotic Americans are certainly welcomed to write to our legislators to courteously voice their opinions. They would love to hear from you.

What makes you so sure that the poster to which you are directing the above quote is not a USA citizen. Did the thought ever occur to you that perhaps that poster is a citizen of the USA who happens to be currently residing in Canada? I believe that there are several posters in these fora who are citizens of countries other than where they currently reside.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 140 (view)

Freedom of Speech?
Posted: 2/3/2015 11:14:25 AM

calguy14 wrote: Nenshi is a Harvard textbook idiot.He feels he can contain city growth by refusing to release more land for residential new homes.Nenshi and his idiot planner(from North Bay)feel they can densify the core but don't understand that economies of scale will go out the window.
I think he won because he's gay. :)

Being a redneck good ol' boy that you seem to be, you must be just about turning yourself inside out with Mayor Nenshi being named the best Mayor in the world. Afterall, he's a Muslim of East Indian descent who is a closet gay and his partner is his Chief of Staff who happens to be of African descent. Talk about all these whammies rolled into one never mind that he has led this city in an exemplary way. What the h*ll is this world coming to, eh?

Better reserve your seat at the Petroleum Club so that you can drown your sorrows with the other redneck good ol' boys. Ha ha ha!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 75 (view)

Why send a message if you know we're not a match?
Posted: 2/2/2015 3:54:50 PM

Never_in_Life wrote: First off, you have given of yourself in a way that is helpful and yet so typical of your thought processes. You helped write papers - that's nice (but not exactly inspiring). I sincerely doubt anyone would ever see you at a local soup kitchen - probably because the folks in need there won't be going to college.

The most telling part of your quote was " It thrills me to send these kids to college" and "One of my best success stories" . Like it was your accomplishment, and not Elizabeth's. That totally lines up with the elitist vibe you put out here.

Literate Hiker responded:This is not the Profile Review forum. You are making incorrect assumptions about me and being critical and demeaning.

All too often we don’t perceive ourselves as others see us. Perhaps you feel that incorrect assumptions have been made and the post is critical and demeaning, you must also realize that all we have to go on is what your profile and posts in the forums say about you as a person. No doubt, you aren’t even aware that you are not coming across in the way in which you perceive yourself to be.

I must concur with the post penned by Never in Life in that your posts do come across as having an elitist vibe and, on occasion, have shown some arrogance. Perhaps you are unaware that this may be the perception you are projecting.

OT: I often read profiles as a pastime. I don’t think twice about dropping a line to someone near and far whose profile strikes a chord with me. It means absolutely nothing more than to send along an acknowledgement and/or compliment of something I have read in their profile. I am not looking to date or for a relationship. Not everything in life has to have a purpose or be of benefit to me. With the exception of two people over the 9+ years I’ve been on this site, all have acknowledged and thanked me for taking the time to drop them a line.

Maybe it’s time to stop looking at others as “human resources” and to just look at them as humans.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 25 (view)

smoker who lied on profile
Posted: 1/26/2015 12:28:23 PM

bluemoon24_7 wrote:
So we discard and we get discarded. The thing is, we rarely, if ever, ask the person that discarded us - WHY? Something to think about when we get all "I'm wonderful, he/she is not". Did anyone ever tell you why they didn't ask you out again?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but what would make you think that, should you ask that question, you would get a truthful or any answer at all? It's much easier to hide behind a lie than to buck up, square your shoulders and tell the truth even though it may take guts on your part and in turn be hurtful to another.

H*ll, Human Resources Departments of corporations can't or won't even tell you the truth when you are more than qualified but passed over for an available position so I'm pretty sure individuals on a personal level aren't going to be totally truthful either. Sorry to say but lying is one of the new "integrity" characteristics.

OT, I abhor liars. A lie is a lie is a lie.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 275 (view)

Homophobia -- the Dealbreaker
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:45:03 PM
These were the questions that I asked you to elaborate on and answer:

There are some places for which these gay issues are more of a problem such as Thailand whoaml,but its rare here.

You're sure that "these gay issues" are not much of a problem here in Canada or North America in general? What are "these gay issues" that you refer to. In order that you can teach us all your "healthy outlooks" on this topic, please do so and be sure to be very detailed and specific so that we cannot misinterpret exactly what you consider to be "healthy outlooks".

There is no pressing need for any additional sex ed and certainly nothing to confuse children before sex even enters their consciousness.

At what age exactly do you figure sex ed enters the consciousness of children? Again, please be specific and detailed.

Enquiring minds and all!

You responded with:

Neither you nor any of the PC bots have any answers either.You believe moving to a continuously ever liberal lifestyle is going to solve something. I have news for you,you're headed in the wrong direction.The strong sectors of society are the groups that are more conservative.Wynne and her gang have no solid answers for a broad range of issues,this one included.There is no problem at the moment,they are simply trying to be social engineers.And the chief engineer was a pedophile.You have no answer to that.

So....you are simply admitting that you have no answers to your assertions when asked to back them up and you are using smoke and mirrors to attempt to cover up the fact that you are merely blowing smoke out of your ears, flapping your gums and have no clear understanding of any of the unbased statements and/or opinions you put forth. Not surprising.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 272 (view)

Posted: 1/17/2015 12:11:47 PM

As you likely know Thailand has quite a number of men that feel they are trapped in a mans body.Many are shunned and go through a difficult time,despite those tranny beauty pageants being quite popular apparently.

We don't have nearly as many here.

Tinker dear,every household will be different,some kids are more sheltered than others, this is why a state sponsored program might be harmful.We want our young to see each other as people,not sex objects.....right?

As suspected, you don't have any answers. You're merely spouting off and flapping your gums. And that sure isn't surprising now, is it?
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 270 (view)

Posted: 1/17/2015 10:05:24 AM

There are some places for which these gay issues are more of a problem such as Thailand whoaml,but its rare here.

You're sure that "these gay issues" are not much of a problem here in Canada or North America in general? What are "these gay issues" that you refer to. In order that you can teach us all your "healthy outlooks" on this topic, please do so and be sure to be very detailed and specific so that we cannot misinterpret exactly what you consider to be "healthy outlooks".

There is no pressing need for any additional sex ed and certainly nothing to confuse children before sex even enters their consciousness.

At what age exactly do you figure sex ed enters the consciousness of children? Again, please be specific and detailed.

Enquiring minds and all!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 392 (view)

Does it matter if he lies about his age
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:53:02 AM

...but how about people that post pictures that are at least ten years old? Isn't this an indirect form of lying? I saw one lady on another site that I met in 2000 and she is still using the same picture that she was using in 2000. And on top of that I think the picture was several years old back then.

My profile picture is nearing the 10 year old mark. Guess what? I really don't give a rat's patootie either. I'm not on this site for dating purposes. My main objective is to read and occasionally (like now) post in the forums. Does it really matter what I look like to post in the forums? Do my posts hold more weight if my picture is up to date? Perhaps I would do the public a service to remove my outdated profile picture and leave my appearance to the imaginations of those that read my posts? Would that be a better solution to your complaint about those of us who chose not to have a current photo?
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 1322 (view)

Election 2014: Karma is a b!tch
Posted: 1/11/2015 11:06:20 AM

tgif111
-- On Sept. 16, 2014, Biden, while speaking at an event in Washington, D.C., recalled how when his son was serving in Iraq, troops spoke about the tough housing market back home in the U.S. "People would come up to him and talk about what was happening to them at home in terms of foreclosures, in terms of bad loans ... I mean, these Shylocks who took advantage of these women and men while overseas."

Shylocks is considered an offensive term for Jews by some groups. Biden later apologized for the remarks.

ohenryx:
Interesting, I did not know that “shylock” was offensive to Jews. I had to go look it up. It is impossible these days to avoid giving offense occasionally.

Apparently no one told William Shakespeare that he was not politically correct in using the word/term "Shylock" when he had his character named Shylock speak the famous lines "...and not a pound of flesh" [sic] in the Merchant of Venice.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 1179 (view)

Posted: 1/4/2015 7:15:20 PM

I have a good friend who was in Boston for a few months years back.He said the people were crazy,they all had weapons and were completely nuts regarding black people.

Several years ago, I spent some time in Boston and surrounding area. I didn't find the people to be crazy, all have weapons or were completely nuts. Now, isn't that amazing. Having said that, it might have something to do with the fact that I see the world with different eyes...the eyes of a Calgarian who is a Liberal rather than a redneck Con. I dunno...just saying....
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 66 (view)

Why do so many men end up with unkind women
Posted: 1/3/2015 3:00:30 PM
I have remained single my entire life. It's a choice that I made decades ago and I have never regretted that decision. I will and do, however, date on occasion when the spirit moves me but I am quite content with the lifestyle I have chosen for myself.

I do not and have not judged others for their choices and I certainly don't wish that I had or was able to get someone else's man. That's their choice, their life.

I cringe when I hear domineering people belittling or treating another unkindly. It matters not which one in the couple is domineering or which one is submissive. The fact that it happens and is allowed to happen speaks volumes about both people. Not the kind of person or people I want to be around.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 720 (view)

Posted: 11/25/2014 1:55:47 PM

Posted by Eric_Summit:
"...Police officers discharge weapons to HALT THE FIGHT and that is it. "

The above statement may have been true and may have had some merit way back in the middle of the last century but you are sorely out of touch with the types of individuals who now make law enforcement their career. The modern day mantra of *most* law enforcement officers now is "shoot to kill and simply make up something later when questions are asked". To suggest otherwise is simply laughable.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 462 (view)

speaking of not getting drunk at the party
Posted: 11/5/2014 7:50:40 AM
Dear Mr. Truth Teller;

I am somewhat at a loss in your truthfulness. You state

I voted for McGovern, Carter, Mondale, Clinton, Bush, Bush, McCain (Palin actually), Romney
yet in your profile you state that you are 33 years old. If this is the truth, Mr. Truth Teller, it's amazing that you were permitted to vote pre-conception and in your birth years up to the legal voting age. Gives new meaning to the "birther movement"!

Oh, the lies coming from Mr. Truth Teller! LOL
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 14 (view)

Auto Accident-Now what?
Posted: 10/4/2014 3:23:25 PM

I would make sure to find an attorney who does this on contingency rather than an hourly fee. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it won't be worth it.

First off, let me say that I know diddly squat about the laws of the USA and its individual States. Having said that, I am somewhat familiar with the laws in Alberta, Canada. I do know that it is probably unlikely that a lawyer would take a property damage claim on a contingency basis. Contingency fee arrangements are usually reserved for personal injury cases and the OP states that she was not injured in this collision.

Also, would you not be looking to the owner of the vehicle for damages and not the unlicensed driver unless he is, in fact, the owner of the vehicle?

By all means, talk to a lawyer in your State however you might find yourself without recourse unless your State has provisions for an uninsured driver fund.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 134 (view)

Using big words ...
Posted: 9/30/2014 3:20:02 PM

...we just talk schemie. As in "deek the mort gadgie hingin
is it no? Widnae stey too long wi honkin hooves the gadgie either eh?"...

Say what????? LOL Thanks for the chuckle.

While I have a fairly large vocabulary, I don't think even having a dictionary would help those of us who aren't well versed in communicating with residents of Scotland although I believe I was able to ascertain the gist of the above quote.

I'm still of the mind that the OP completely missed the point and took it at face value when her date suggested a dictionary would be required to understand her. I suspect his comment was dripping with sarcasm which would seem to me went completely over the OP's head.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 10 (view)

Crossroads-THE choice that changed your life
Posted: 9/28/2014 6:03:07 PM

For the next two months I need to downsize a three level house to a 5 x 8 uhaul trailer, throw my dog in the Pathfinder and head west with no real plan but to start anew.

Eeeek! It's crazy and idealistic, fresh and kinda intimidating (I'll admit). But whatever, you only live once, they say.

Congratulations! I travelled this road myself 35 years ago and I've never looked back. It was a very big adventure but one that was very much needed. I left Toronto at the end of August of 1979 and arrived in Calgary 3 days later. I knew absolutely no one. Best thing I have ever done for myself.

I wish you well and please know that the only thing holding you back is yourself and your fears.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 12 (view)

Accidental Road-tripping
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:47:49 AM

Actually, no I DIDN'T agree to that when I joined,as it wasn't an issue and there was no rule regarding it that I was aware of, ...

Roadtripping and being reported for it has been around for as long as I have been a member of this site and I've been here since September of 2005. I know this because I am a Canadian and back in those early days of POF, I too used to post in the Australia forums until it was pointed out that I was roadtripping and I was asked not to by a Moderator. Members can post in the Global Forums and your local Forum but anything else is considered roadtripping.

You can still continue your friendship with your Australian friend by e-mailing them instead of posting in the Australian forums.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 15 (view)

Using big words ...
Posted: 9/22/2014 6:21:32 PM

I can't help it. I work at a law firm. Met a guy recently who finally told me he needed a dictionary to talk to me. I've been working in the legal field so long, I'm not sure I can dumb myself down enough. I don't do it intentionally and I'm certainly not trying to impress anyone. I just use them on a daily basis, so it's kind of second nature to me. Since when is lack of intelligence attractive?

Well, well, well! Isn't that a load of hogwash. The fact that you work in a law firm does not necessarily equate to using legal terminology and, in particular, Latin phrases or even big words in everyday conversation. I suspect that more than the words you state you use it is your demeanor and perhaps a projection of self-importance whilst in conversation that comes across as objectionable.

For the record, I spent close to 3 decades in the legal field as well as having worked for economists, engineers, environmentalists and other professionals. I have yet to be told that I cannot be understood by the words I use to communicate with all and sundry probably because I don't feel the need to talk above to impress others. Maybe it's time to put away your big words and legalese and come down to earth with the common folk.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 17 (view)

The reagan Myth explodes
Posted: 9/6/2014 6:30:11 PM

^^^^^^^Well...here's an article from the Calgary Herald that paints a different picture.....

http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html

This cite only brings you to the index for the Calgary Herald and not the article you say paints a different picture. I receive and read the Herald on a daily basis and probably read the mystery article and took the contents with a grain of salt.

I think it's important to state that I live in Calgary, I have Stage 4 Lymphoma with a relapse and was then returned to remission after a stem cell transplant. In other words, I have been treated for two types of lymphoma twice in a span of 3.5 years. There was no wait period for treatment. I was seen and treated with utmost speed. I received nothing short of stellar care within the health care system in Canada and Calgary, Alberta in particular.

Of course, the USA doesn't tell anyone to "go home and plan your funeral" because the USA health care system is based on "for profit" health care whereas Canada's health care is based upon universal health care available to all Canadian citizens irregardless of income.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 96 (view)

Adjusting to the Technology intrusion and the expectation of good manners?
Posted: 4/12/2014 7:56:25 AM

Most calls are the result of addictive impulses to constantly be checking, be busy, be distracted, etc.

This is bang on! In my opinion, far too many people create their own busyness as a diversion. They are either afraid to spend time in a situation where they have to communicate and interact in the face to face real time scenario and/or they are afraid to spend time alone in their own in pursuits and/or activities that requires only themselves. I guess there is one other possibility for all of this busyness...they are attention whores.

I always wonder what people did before they had all these electronic devices for diversionary purposes. If they are boring now, they must have been boring then too.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 25 (view)

We hit it off, then she shares her HEALTH with me. Please share advice or experiences.
Posted: 1/13/2014 3:42:10 PM

While she was honest and brave to reveal her medical history, I think that she did so prematurely. There are appropriate times and places to reveal important things, and during or immediately after the first few dates is way too soon.

I totally disagree with this. Why not be open and forthright from the get-go? At least by doing so, you aren't *hiding* anything or trying to *dupe* someone. If someone decides that you are worth sticking around for, then at least you know they *want* to be with you irregardless of your medical history and aren't going to high-tail it at a later date when the *secret* is finally revealed. In my opinion, it's better to be honest and above-board. People are able to deal with honesty better than they are if they feel someone was hiding something from them.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 4 (view)

We hit it off, then she shares her HEALTH with me. Please share advice or experiences.
Posted: 1/10/2014 3:50:09 PM
I, too, have had cancer twice within a 3 year period. I am currently in remission as well. As of yet, there is no cure for blood cancers. I could be in remission for years and die from something completely unrelated to cancer but that matters not to many people.

Like your lady friend, I make sure that anyone who * might * want to date me or even befriend me know this about me. Why do I do this, you may ask. It's because there is a huge percentage of the population who look upon those of us who have experienced cancer as having cooties. Sorry to bring it down to elementary school level but that appears to be their level of understanding when it comes to people who exhibit this type of thinking.

My suggestion to you would be to continue to see this lady. No one is saying that you need to marry her or even have a longer term relationship. Date casually and as time goes on, you will either feel more comfortable about taking it to the next level or you will decided that perhaps she is not what you are looking for. In other words, date like you would had you not been told of her health issues.

Cancer does not define a person. Some of the finest people I have met have experienced cancer. We * know * what life is all about.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 105 (view)

Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler's newborn survives ... due to fancy insurance
Posted: 11/20/2013 11:35:20 AM

Here in Alberta and I believe most of Canada they cannot get a grip on what administrative costs are.They can't tell you what a procedure costs.My guess is administrative is at least 40%.

Here in Alberta they can tell you what a procedure costs. If you are interested in what procedures your personal health number has been billed for, you may request a Statement of Benefits Paid from Alberta Health Services for a cost of $60.00 plus GST.

There is also a Physician's Procedure Fee Guide which outlines the amount that a physican can bill AHS per procedure. I quickly tried to find this fee guide on the AHS site but unfortunately, they now seem to have buried it in bureacracy but I'm sure with enough poking around, it can be found.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 13 (view)

Being late for a date
Posted: 11/15/2013 11:51:00 AM
Adding to my previous post, I have yet to figure this out:

If people can be habitually late then why can't they be habitually on time? It's a real puzzler, isn't it? May those who are consistently habitually late can shed some light on this for those of us who cannot find the logic in it.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 8 (view)

Being late for a date
Posted: 11/15/2013 11:31:25 AM

I would've messaged her back, hey babe let me know when you arrive as I'm out running some errands and I may be a few minutes late myself! I have no time for people who can't be on time...Sure there are excusable reasons, its a good thing some people don't fly....

By doing this, it would seem to me that you are simply giving that other person permission to be even later than they already are. Do you actually think they will arrive at the later time that they give you? It's highly unlikely.

People who are tardy have absolutely no consideration or respect for those they inconvenience and, often times, simply believe that the whole world does and should revolve around them. No matter how you slice it, tardiness is nothing more than bad behaviour.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 6 (view)

Over 50...Are We Now Invisible?
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:26:09 AM
I have definitely become invisible on the employment scene. It took two years to find my current job which I am about to lose when I return to work from an adventure into medical disability land. Someone younger has "replaced" me. I dread to think how long it will take this time around to find employment suitable to my experience and skill level.

As far as social activities go, there isn't much out there for those of use who are seasoned and maybe sagging a little. My local library hosts coffee and conversation sessions for the over 50 crowd every two weeks for 1.5 hours. These are attended by people of both sexes who are married, divorced, widowed and, in my case, single. Sometimes we have a guest speaker and other meets we simply converse about topics of interest such as travel, community issues, life in general, etc.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 10 (view)

Self-diagnosed PTSD, ADD, ADHD, yada yada
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:14:53 AM

We don't have the pharmaceutical commercials on Canadian TV.

Sure we do - in Alberta, at least. I don't imagine it is any different in any other province seeing as the airways are governed federally by the CRTC. While we may have a USA television feed for a program, the ads inserted into the commercial slots are Canadian. There are ads for humira, viagara, celebrax, blah, blah, blah.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 18 (view)

Being Stood Up Over and Over Again
Posted: 5/11/2013 12:50:49 PM

I hope you are not really that naive to think that anyone who accepts a date with you or any other man on a free online dating-site would not do a quick background check to make sure you are a safe person to meet.

Dino57 replied:To my knowledge none of the women I have met from this site have done a background check on me prior to a first meet... I hope you are not really that naive to think that anyone who accepts a date with you or any other man on a free online dating-site would not do a quick background check to make sure you are a safe person to meet.

To my knowledge none of the women I have met from this site have done a background check on me prior to a first meet... maybe it's big city American Paranoia that you are working off of or maybe most of us Canadians are just naïve country bumpkins - I might be a little more paranoid if I thought there was a good chance that my date had a gun in her purse or glove box ... usually if a woman carries a weapon in Canada it's just pepper spray and I have never has a really spicy date.

I agree with Dino. As a Canadian and I am sure most other Canadians are of the same opinion, we would never think of doing a background check or court file check or any other check that our neighbours south of the 49th are so fond of performing on anyone and everyone who may even remotely cross their paths. In Canada, most of those types of searches are protected under FOIP (Freedom of Information) so unless you have a pretty damn good reason to pay for and have an agent perform these types of searches, you will be unable to get much, if any, of the smutty information those in USA are free to get at their fingertips. I suspect Dino is correct when he suggests that "maybe it's big city American Paranoia that you are working off of" as opposed to "most of us Canadians are just naïve country bumpkins ". Canadians have a totally different mindset and culture than do USians.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 11 (view)

Broken People
Posted: 3/1/2013 12:21:27 PM

Freudian: I must be totally naive. Until the Weiner thing, I never actually believed this happened. Now, you ladies say it's common?? Wow.

Well, if you're totally naive, then I must be so butt-ugly that no one is interested in me because I have never received any inappropriate e-mails or naked pictures from males in all the time of I have been on this site. What a dreary and drab life I appear to be living.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 4 (view)

Obituary Notice
Posted: 2/26/2013 3:10:40 PM
Ironically, I've been thinking of this lately. I'm starting to work on "getting my affairs in order" and my obit is just one of the many things that needs to be addressed.

I think I've decided that my obit will simply state my full name, my date of birth, my date of death and the actual verbage will be "Ding dong, the witch is dead" followed by the names of the two charities of my choosing should anyone wish to donate to in my memory. I am single, no children or other relatives and have lived a solitary life so there is not really any need to say anything further.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 200 (view)

Whatever Happened to Romance/Courtship, etc.?
Posted: 2/25/2013 12:56:52 PM

No idea how much they pay, but you'll often see these posters avoid confronting each other directly. It's hilarious and predictable. I won't call anyone out, but there's a whole spectrum of personality types covered by these frequent forum posters. Jaded women, player men, analytical types, fruity always positive types, etc. What really made it obvious to me is when I noticed that these popular forum posters never come into conflict with each other and avoid commenting on each others posts. They usually avoid posting on each others threads as well.

You are so correct. There are various and assorted cliques going on behind the scenes where some of these things are discussed in private e-mails, on Facebook and on a second site for Over 45's that was created back in 2005 or 2006 by some POF'ers who were banned at that time. Membership to that site is exclusive and by invitation only. Although I am no longer a part of this scenario, I was back in the early days of this site. I prefer to speak what's on my mind on any given subject irregardless of who starts and/or comments on it. I don't kowtow very well.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 163 (view)

Over 45 & never married...............
Posted: 2/19/2013 2:49:46 PM

How many here feel like they're from another planet for never being married by now?
I've been on this site almost since its inception. I've been a reader of the forums the entire time. The knowledge that I have gained from reading the various and assorted threads is there appears to be a certain hierarchy expressed, perceived or alluded to as it pertains to one's marital status.

Widow(er)s: Top the list at the most coveted position. No noticeable negative "red flags". Perfection in marital status terms.

Still Married and Not Looking: Hold the "second best" position. No noticeable negative "red flags". Almost perfection in marital status terms.

Divorced: Viewed with skepticism but still can be viewed has having at least some respect for giving a marriage/relationship a try. Not many, if any, noticeable negative "red flags". Usually in goodstanding in marital status terms if the number of divorces is not excessive. If there are too many divorces under their belt, then they drop down a notch in marital status terms.

Still Married and Looking: Not really the most respected but there is some acceptance. This may garner a "red flag". Not ideal in marital status terms.

Never Married: This is the bottom of the barrel position. This is the worst possible marital status one could have. Those in this position cause "red flags" to fly high. Often the red flags are many and varied but the bottom line amongst some who post in these forums is that never marrieds should be avoided at all costs because they are perceived to be complete and total failures in life and who are unable to commit, sustain a relationship, they are just plain weird or defective so nobody wanted them and they probably have cooties too!

Is it any wonder why never marrieds often feel like they're from another planet? Nope, it's no wonder.

The above are my observations of the attitudes shown by many of the forumites from the many years spent reading all the bravado and baloney that is written in these forums.

Gotta go....I'm off to buy some bug spray!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 6 (view)

The see extended profile feature
Posted: 2/14/2013 4:01:22 PM
Is this the information that you need to input now in order to make any change whatsoever in the main area of your profile. In other words, you cannot update the main area of your profile without answering these questions....like when they "forced" you to disclose your income level a few years back before your profile changes would be accepted? It just seems to me that there isn't much or even particularly relevant info in the "extended profile" feature.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 81 (view)

Should I date someone who has been sober for five years
Posted: 2/13/2013 3:50:56 PM
And don't be fooled by the minor children and/or adult children of alcoholics who have never touched a drop of alcohol in their lives. They are carrying with them some pretty serious adverse personality traits and often suffer psychological damage from being raised in an alcoholic home. Even when the parent(s) become(s) sober, the behaviour patterns / dynamics within the home do not change....only the lack of alcohol consumption has been change. These remain forever.

"Hope" by Emily Marlin is an excellent read for new choices and recovery strategies of adult children of alcoholics.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 14 (view)

An American or Canadian pope?
Posted: 2/11/2013 2:00:45 PM
I don't care who the next Pope will be. What I would like to see is whoever the next Pope is that he come out of the closet, acknowledge that he is gay, that he will procure his sexual favours with other adult clergy within the Catholic church and leave the children, particularly male children, alone. No more diddling with innocent children. Too much to ask for? I would hope not!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 95 (view)

so , I have this question all the time , why so many senior guys looking for younger Chinese laides
Posted: 2/10/2013 2:32:07 PM

LOL. You think people tell the truth in depositions when it comes to their own self interests, and you think women will tell you the truth why they want to divorce their husband, especially if they are fighting for custody or marital assets. Can you spell FOOL? ...

I can certainly spell FOOL and I can also assure you than anyone who doesn't tell the truth in a sworn or attested to deposition is truly the FOOL. Lying in a sworn or attested deposition constitutes perjury.

I worked in the legal field with divorce, family and custody lawyers for many years. In most cases in North America, neither party is "taken to the cleaners" by the other party. This is a myth....a fallacy. This area of law has evolved to the extent that most marriages are dissolved on a basis that is equal to both parties. What I did observe was there were some men who objected to paying his share or any child maintenance at all for those children he sired within that marriage.

From my experience working in the field, it has not been my observation that 70% of the women initiate divorce proceedings. If anything, I think that figure might be high at 50% and not for the reasons the wife got tired of the husband. It was more likely the husband who got tired of the wife and stepped outside of the marriage to create a new relationship and new family for himself. I dunno. Just my observations from spending some time working in that field that women mourn and men replace.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 27 (view)

The Canadian penny being eliminated,pros and cons.
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:09:45 AM
If we are going to eliminate coins, let's get rid of the loonies and toonies and go back to the one dollar and two dollar bills. I tend to be a 50% cash and 50% debit person so with all the coins, my purse tends to weigh a ton.

My main need for cash is using our antiquated public transit system, where I must pay cash to buy tickets.

That's unbelievable! Canada's largest city and you can still buy bus tickets from the drivers on the Red Rocket. Holy moley! Who wooda thunk Tarranta hadn't evolved into the new millennium!
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 155 (view)

Over 45 & never married...............
Posted: 2/3/2013 11:48:59 AM

100 years ago, there wasn't all this selfishness, materialism and blurred gender roles. Men and woman married for love and worked together as a team to build a strong home and family.

I rather doubt that the majority of men and women married for love 100 years ago. They most likely married for necessity and because it was the thing one did to exist. The men tended the fields and the livestock and they needed someone to cook, housekeep and bear children who, in turn, would work on the family farm. I wonder how many couples really loved each other when they married back then. I would venture a guess not all that many and most stayed together "until death do us part" not out of love but out of necessity and the fact that divorce in those days was unheard of. Many a young girl was co-erced into a loveless marriage simply because her family of origin could no longer support her as well as the fact that her usefulness to a man for child-bearing was lessening.

There was still selfishness and materialism back then but it was reserved for the very few who were fortunate enough to live above a meagre paltry standard of living. People back then did what they had to do to survive; I do that today so in my world that hasn't changed.

As for the entitlement issue mentioned in an earlier post, one can either choose to accept way of thinking or choose not to. Personally, I have no grandiose ideas of any sort of entitlement and never have. I am self-sufficient and true to myself.

Show ALL Forums