Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Will You Change
 wantasmart1
Msg: 19 (view)

Will You Change
Posted: 8/2/2010 1:45:14 AM
"Another element of this discussion is the idea that if the Federal Government were to take control of healthcare, the auto industry, and banking, things will be handled in a fairer more efficient manner...the greatest farce ever sold to the American people, there is no empirical data to support this notion. "

I couldn't agree more. Also just out on the newswires this weekend is the fact that Cuba is now going to kick a bunch of their citizens off socialized government makework rolls and have them instead start small businesses. Those businesses in turn will be taxed and will pay hefty licensing fees in order to bolster the remainder who will be on socialized, subsidized entitlements. That last part SURE does sound familiar...
 wantasmart1
Msg: 16 (view)

Will You Change
Posted: 7/29/2010 10:18:53 PM
I've lived here for the past 25 years. Neither the state or Federal representatives and senators have EVER represented my views...even after they promised to. The majority of the Federal "representatives" voted in the supposed magic cures for the economic downturn.

How's that working out for everyone? Both the Democratic and Republican parties have pretty much become an even larger joke than they have ever been. These folks don't think before they act - They act, then when things turn rotten, they repeal or modify their prior acts.

Re: the Health Care act...Note that England has just decided to abandon their system of socialized medicine. Most every other European country is also showing the cracks in a socialized medical system. So is Canada...my in-laws used to cross south of the border to get timely treatment. That's all no surprise - except to Congress when it also turns rotten - again. Just wait.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 10 (view)

Income Requirement
Posted: 7/29/2010 10:11:35 PM
I do one of two things...

Since I have several income sources, if I feel like changing the income amount, I'll plug in the equivalent annual income of the last job I did. At other times, I'll pretty much roll the dice and stick the result in there. If someone is searching based on my income, they're going to be mighty confused.

I wonder what unemployed people are supposed to plug in there?
 wantasmart1
Msg: 15 (view)

Do hidden forums make you visit less often?
Posted: 7/29/2010 9:54:54 PM
I actually haven't stopped by the forums since the last time I got "spanked" by the mods...(still not sure exactly what it was for, but figured I was just wasting time in here anyway).
Tonight, I got bored and checked the link I have in Favorites to see if they were still here, as I just noticed there is no more link from the dating pages.

I realized I hadn't gotten any e-mails announcing get-togethers in Salem for a long, long time and was going to come see if there had been any - that's when I realized there is no more forum link.

So... I suppose my answer would be "Yes". Hidden forums make me visit less often.
I'm contemplating starting another late night coffee club for other bored people with nothing else to do. Probably not here though.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 22 (view)

Amanda Knox, convicted murderer or railroaded by Italy.
Posted: 12/14/2009 4:08:41 PM
Funny (strange) how the issue of lack of evidence is completely missing in previous posts.
Also interesting that some focus on Knox's and Kercher's looks as somehow an issue.

As for the idiots hiking into Iran, if they truly are what the media portrays them to be - purely tourists out hiking, then it's an act of pure stupidity to knowingly "wander" the hills so close to the border of a hostile country without so much as benefit of proper maps, and/or a simple handheld GPS to keep you out of trouble. Add to that, ignoring the repeated reported warnings of their motel keeper not to enter the region, they weren't just inviting trouble, they were out there begging for it.

Hardly any comparison with the original topic.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 6 (view)

Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:38:35 PM
Money may not buy ALL of the happiness that you want, but it certainly can pay off a whole lot of unhappiness, which will make that happiness much more likely.

Most of the unhappiness in people that I am aware of stems from one major issue - the lack of capital in a capitalistic society. If I had a choice between more money than less, I'd take more. Cases like Cobain's and other "popular" people involves a lot of drugs, delusion, manipulation, etc. They would go down the same way whether they are rich or poor, in my opinion.

I will say that a lot of money is wasted on people who have little clue how to handle it - like many lottery winners who end up broke a few years later. But it's not the money that did it to them - they were people without a clue to begin with and there are a lot of them out there. "Easy come, easy go" is their motto - whether it's money, material things or happiness. For them, money will never buy true happiness.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 7 (view)

Amanda Knox, convicted murderer or railroaded by Italy.
Posted: 12/13/2009 4:27:38 PM

Here she'd be in a max-security womens' penitentiary and they'd likely have given her life.

Not based on the "evidence" presented in the case there, she wouldn't.

In her darkest hour, Knox said she found support from an unexpected source – the unusually comforting prison guards.

...Knox said, "I was feeling horrendous. The guards helped me out. They held me all night." ... ' '

I wonder - were those male or female guards? Yet another thing that wouldn't happen in most prisons - anywhere. At least they hold you while they screw you, I guess.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 2 (view)

Having money goes hand in hand with being happy.
Posted: 12/13/2009 3:39:13 PM
I've always believed that "Money can't buy happiness." was a saying coined by the poor who realized they just would never have the tools required to acquire and retain wealth, and perpetuated by the rich who were quite content to keep it all in the family, so to speak. One thing the "old money" families never seemed to like historically were the "nouveau riche". In reality, I think it made the afraid - very afraid.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 45 (view)

A natural phenomena ?
Posted: 12/12/2009 4:08:58 PM
ALL of the Norwegain photos and video were from the same general angle. The supposed trajectory of a "rocket" was also at a considerable angle to the point of the viewers, yet the spiral is distinctly circular in aspect, rather than an oval, if they were seeing a rocket spiral from a side angle.

This is no rocket - I don't care what the Russians claim. I think they're just trying to take the credit for it since no one else has yet stepped up.

The bright glow over the top of the hills is in a distinct cone-shape, just as a projector would cast and I believe this was nothing more than a high-powered holographic projection.

If it was a rocket, then why did the very last emissions begin to dissipate first - from the center outward, while the older emissions lingered on minutes longer, completely unchanged? In still photos, why are the absolutely perfect spirals extended far out from the path of the supposed rocket?

The condensate from rocket emissions, like contrails, stays more or less where they exited the engine. The entire exhaust doesn't continue to unformly spiral in space, yet the video shows the whole of the spiral rotating.

But more importantly, why no photos or video showing any other angle?
There's definitely something happening on the far side of the mountain with all the bright lights, and I doubt this will be the last time such a thing is seen. This is someone's idea of a publicity campaign.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 18 (view)

Anyone had any weird 'nesting instincts' during a full moon?
Posted: 12/12/2009 3:46:48 PM
OP,

I'm wondering if you were aware of the phase of the moon during these times, or if it's something you retroactively figured and correlated. Peoples' subconsicous works in mysterious ways. I've known people who knew there was a full moon coming and they would remark on this several times a day beforehand, then at the appointed time, they'd do something not normal for them and attribute it to the moon, when it was more likely just their subconscious performing.

On the other hand, with regard to no correlation between studies and police, etc. records and full moons, I have to differ with that opinion. We used to service private ambulances at one of my jobs and for the most part, their runs were pretty routine. But every few weeks, they'd be doing 3-4 times the runs and I asked the guys about why it was so busy sometimes and not others. He told me to look up and asked me what I saw - a full moon.

Whether or not the "crazies" out there pay attention to the moon phases, I can't say for sure, but I know there was a definite, drastic spike in psych ambulance runs with each one. Thereafter, I would keep track of the phases and sure enough - each time the moon reached full, the ambulances were going nuts. Later, as a cop, I noticed the same kind of correlation between more people becoming irrational and combative when a full moon was on tap.

My own theory was that - like the tides - gravitational disturbances could increase pressure on different parts of the body, including the brain, as well as affect any metals in the body chemistry. Then the question is: Just because there's a full moon, does that mean the moon is closer to Earth? As far as I know, the answer is no. (http://www.lunarplanner.com/LunarPerigee/index.html)

So that led me to believe MOST of it is probably in peoples' heads...a self-fulfilling prophecy.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 18 (view)

Duggers welcome 19th child--3 months early
Posted: 12/12/2009 3:19:11 PM
Another example of stupid "reality" shows with no point. Just think. She's only 43. She can probably still be popping them out until at least 55. I'm sure she can fit another 9-10 up in there by then. Just more collective mouths to feed and not enough jobs to keep them all useful. If we're very lucky, maybe her kids will all emulate her.

Better hurry before the UN passes that global one child per couple law though.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 12 (view)

Invasive Species
Posted: 12/9/2009 5:08:12 AM
Seems the real invasive species always seems to be humans. I haven't heard of any invasive species - be it plant or animal - that wasn't the result of stupid human tricks.

Why do almost all the invasives always seem to have little legitimate use?
 wantasmart1
Msg: 4 (view)

How reliable is bulk mailing
Posted: 12/9/2009 3:55:04 AM
We used to hear stories about how junk mail "got lost", but bulk mail and business / sales mail is now the main thing keeping the USPS alive (20,000+ layoffs in the past year?). I imagine they do everything they can to correctly deliver the stuff these days, to keep their customers happy.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 38 (view)

OK, hypothetical question about Ecological sanity here...
Posted: 12/5/2009 1:26:00 AM
I don't agree with exterminating all humans. But like 90% of them - maybe. I think that's what mother nature is already trying to do with things like MRSA, H1N1 (she'll try again - harder next time), mad cow, AIDs, etc. It wasn't all that long ago when the total population of the earth was estimated at 300 million.

As for global warming or global cooling - whichever...So far no one's really been able to answer me when I ask: If there's no warming going on - why is the Arctic melting? If it's cooling, then why isn't there MORE ice there instead of less? Most of our weather is determined by what's going on deep in the ocean - and that's something scientists today just aren't even addressing.

To only pay attention to surface temperatures is plain ignorant. They readily admit they have no real answer as to why El Nino and La Nina occur or how to reliably predict them.
When you look at the overall picture - our science is still in a relative stone age. Pointy-headed folks all running around trying to impress each other and the public by baffling them with BS...and that goes for BOTH sides of just about every issue. one thing is for sure though - the only thing that's killed more species off than humans are catastrophic global disasters like comet strikes and the like.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 11 (view)

Public places with scanners??
Posted: 12/5/2009 1:14:50 AM
Here's a thought: Have you considered just taking a picture of the picture?

That's really all a scanner would do anyway. Yeah, the scanner would have a lot higher resolution, but unless you're going to blow the picture up larger than a webpage, all you need is to set the focal length on your digital camera so it's not a fisheye or a panoramic effect, and take a picture of the picture. We used to do that with film cameras all the time.

I've done it with my digital a few times - it's not bad. Depends on the quality of your digital camera.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 50 (view)

Shooting of officers in Washington State
Posted: 12/2/2009 2:09:12 PM

This offender never would have been put through the judicial system for this crime cuz he was a dead man as soon as he left that coffee shop! Good ol' police subculture! :P

More ignorance based upon prejudice, while at the same time claiming to fight against prejudice (repeatedly invoking "minority" into the argument as a main reason the scum was put down). Kind of invalidates the entire resaon for this thread. When you ignore the facts in pursuit of an agenda, then no fact matters.

As far as the gun possibly being a throwdown, that's also highly unlikely - it was stated to be a duty weapon - a sidearm. That's one of the first pieces of evidence that will be recovered and put into evidence.

Consider that the murders occurred in Lakewood while the scum was put down in Seattle. Isn't it amazing they were able to transport this gun to the ONE OFFICER who would come across the guy some 30-35 miles away so he could "plant" the gun on him.

Absolutely incredible. Laughable. Ironically, again, the kind of thinking behind the OP is probably exactly the kind of thoughts in Clemmons' mind that initiaited the entire incident. Some people can have everything and still have persecution complexes playin gout in their pointy heads. Sometimes it causes them to act out, then every excuse in the book comes out to support them. Usually given by like-minded people.

Giving the title and author of a single 16-year-old publication is hardly a "citation" supporting your point. Where was it written? From prison?
It makes as much sense as saying the reason he was shot was the movie, "Heat"... Irrelevent to the particular situation and proves nothing.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 36 (view)

Shooting of officers in Washington State
Posted: 12/1/2009 8:51:25 PM

Police would have killed this man whether he was unarmed or not no matter what crime he did prior to the shooting incident. fl co, many of us realize you are a man of uniform, or CO. The police subculture is not just known by the boys in blue!! :P

What an arrogant statement. I suppose you've worked this job so you know all there is to know. Yet I bet at the first hint of trouble, you're right on the phone to the police, right?
Your prejudgment of all police officers is kind of ironic, given your implication that this scum was killed over minority issues.

If minorities want to run around acting out against society, and they get reamed for it once in a while, whose fault is that really? The MAJORITY of minorities never get into trouble with the police during their lives. Crying the race card and claiming it's justification for what he did is...complete ignorance.

They stated that he had stolen one of the officers weapons, which is highly questionable, since they never suggested an officers gun was missing to begin with! >:/

Okay, so you've cracked the case. This whole thing was a setup to frame Clemmons and ultimately to execute him ever since Arkansas' Huckabee pardoned this human turd. Probably one of the dead officers stuck the gun into Clemmons' pocket before he dropped dead in order to complete the frame. Some people live in fantasyland.

Plus he wasn't shooting at the officer that was attempting to arrest him. He was in fact, running away. The officer shot and killed him.
That's all fine and dandy. Another dangerous offender dead. This was a shoot to kill!

How do you know what exactly happened? And what do you know of fleeing felon laws? According to police statements, he refused to show his hands and and after he was shot, he was found holding the dead officer's weapon in the hands he refused to raise. The guy was a waste of life, oxygen and food for the rest of the world. Good riddance...and hey - no long, endless appeals and life in prison at $70,000 per year. Good deal for the taxpayer there. He was on borrowed time anyway thanks to that idiot Huckabee.

Too bad it cost four completely innocent people their lives. People with the kind of thinking displayed above are why I will never go back into the job. Their lives just aren't worth it to me. It sucks to risk your life for what you later find out is an idiot - and that's a big reason I left.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 40 (view)

Is Dutch half or is it separate checks? Please clarify.
Posted: 11/30/2009 9:25:34 PM
(Keep in mind many "definitions" online are nothing but the writers' opinions - often uninformed. Social engineering at its best.)

"Dutch treat" or "Going Dutch" has always meant that you pay your own way, including your tip. You just both happen to sit at the same table. I could care less what Wikipedia or Freekinpedia or whatever says. It's just one in a long, long list of derogatives that began with disputes between the English and Dutch in the 1700s. It usually implies exactly the opposite of what it says. So there is no treating to be had in Dutch treat. It doesn't mean halfsies. "Halfsies" means halfsies.

I've been on dates with folks who "forgot" or just plain stated they weren't leaving a tip for whatever reason. Then you're left standing there looking like an idiot. Those were usually first and last dates.

This reminds me of the commercial on TV where an unseen guy is getting taken to the cleaners by some ditzoid ordering the most expensive stuff on the menu and he's having to transfer money via his blackberry or i-phone. Then she says, "Oh! And can we get an order of duck ...for the table?". She probably brought along her 8 best friends or something.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 58 (view)

Don't Smoke Around Your Apple.
Posted: 11/30/2009 3:26:44 PM
It's always interesting to read the rantings of those with anti-smoker agendas.
I wonder if none of them drive motor vehicles with internal combustion engines? I also wonder if none of them use any of the 51+% of electricity that is provided by burning dirty coal? And of course, NONE of them have fireplaces, nor do they barbecue, either. Of course, they also don't cook or bake. Each of these activities produces as much and more smoke which contains many of the said "5,000" compounds allegedly found in cigarette smoke. To complain about second hand smoke while causing the emissions of far more pollutants than even a lifetime of smoking seems hypocritical. Must be nice to be "perfect", though.

Some of the very dirtiest computers I've ever cracked open to fix came from homes where there was absolutely no smoking whatsoever. If you think I'm exaggerating when I say you can find 1/2 inch of dust layered onto all the components in these things - from non-smoking homes, try opening one up after 3-5 years and seeing what's inside. If you aren't cleaning and maintaining a computer - or paying to have it maintained properly - it makes little difference whether one blows cigarette smoke into it or not.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 38 (view)

you're fired!
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:19:23 AM
I was fired once after driving around for 45 minutes looking for parking during Christmas shopping season. I'd been leaving for work 15 minutes earlier each day, only to have to park further and further away. Finally parked 6 (long) blocks away and ran to work, still got there 5 minutes past the hour. Fired.

It's okay. I went and applied for a job the boss had been trying to get himself for 7 years. They took me right in. I had fun the next time I went into the store when he asked me what I was doing for work. The look on his face was absolutely priceless. I thanked him for being such an ***hole.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 15 (view)

Bachmann..... For President 12.... Will She get your Vote?
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:12:24 AM
Palin. There's that name again. She so reminds of some not-so-bright, smiling saleswoman who only wants to get into your wallet.

Think I'll go puke now.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 9 (view)

Tiger Woods
Posted: 11/30/2009 12:09:11 AM
I heard it was a hit-and-run tree. Check it out. The tree isn't there. It left the scene.

Seriously though...who cares? One or both in half the married couples in the country are cheating. Celebrities put their underwear or panties on one foot/leg at a time like everyone else.

They haven't even disclosed all the info yet, but I'm already tired of hearing/reading about it. As I said..Who cares?
 wantasmart1
Msg: 36 (view)

Don't Smoke Around Your Apple.
Posted: 11/28/2009 4:52:04 PM

OK, now you're just being dramatic & ridiculous. It's a fact that cigarette smoke is harmful. Not just to our health, but also to electronic equipment. Especially electronic equipment that draws in ambient air for the purpose of cooling. So, what's wrong with manufacturer's wanting to safeguard themselves from situations where the consumer clearly abused the product?

I know the OP reiterates that it's the residue hazard to technicians, but if the components of computers are so damned sensitive to all the bad stuff in cigarette smoke, then that's not very much different from all the residues and particulates floating in the ambient air being used to cool the machine. If you've ever had to deal with filtration soiling on the indsides of homes where no smokers reside, where only electric appliances are used and where there is no fireplace in the home - then you would know that the stuff just floating in outside ambient air is not much better than cigarette smoke and contains many of the same compounds, volatiles and the like as in cigarette smoke. None of those compounds, except for perhaps nicotine and not even completely so, are exclusive to cigarettes.

Short story - if components of ambient air are so hazardous to computers then the fact manufacturers don't provide ANY filtration of the intake air whatsoever just goes to show they are all defective products, meant only to boost the profit of the manufacturer and marketer. Accumulation of dust and other crap in the air will kill a computer just as fast and faster than cigarette smoke.

Apple's techs better not be using and plastics on their tools because plasticizers are almost all carcinogenic as well. Kind of like that invisible cloud of asbestos-containing brake lining dust that gets blown into your cars each time you step on the brakes.

I think Apple's corporate types have their sandals on too tight. Is it still true that Apples are not susceptible to computer viruses, trojans or other malicious bugs?
 wantasmart1
Msg: 82 (view)

UFOS and ET
Posted: 11/27/2009 3:50:17 PM
Those damned aliens!!!

SAN LUIS, Colo. (AP) - A creepy string of calf mutilations in southern Colorado has a rancher and sheriff's officials mystified.
Four calves were found dead in a pasture just north of the New Mexico state line in recent weeks. The dead calves had their skins peeled back and organs cleared from the rib cage. One calf had its tongue removed.

But rancher Manuel Sanchez has found no signs of human attackers, such as footprints or ATV tracks. And there are no signs of an animal attack by a coyote or mountain lion. Usually predators leave pools of blood or drag marks from carrying away the livestock...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9C7CUA80&show_article=1

Here we go again. I should do some research to see if there's any correlation between economic downturns and reports of cattle mutliations. You'll notice in this sotry the rancher sold off the rest of his calves in order to avoid further mutilations by these UCMs (Unknown Cattle Mutilators).
 wantasmart1
Msg: 14 (view)

Reality TV Nation: State Dinner Interlopers, Balloon Boy, Wasilla Hillbillies...
Posted: 11/27/2009 2:53:58 PM
It's all just a part of that big, real-life "Show About Nothing"...designed to keep you entertained and your attention diverted away from the real issues (like Dubai's Dubai World and Nakheel corporation about to default on massive loan repayments, which could trigger another round of global financial losses based on the stupidity of blind speculative investing) that are being determined for you and your future.

It's amazing how people know the most intimate (and fake) details of their favorite list of 50 favorite TV shows, yet when asked about stuff that really matters to their future - they are often clueless and totally ignorant. Well, not THAT amazing - after all that's exactly what all this stuffis meant to do. Perpetuate the ignorance.
 wantasmart1

Ironing
Posted: 11/22/2009 3:22:07 PM
Here's another tip...ALWAYS empty all the water out of the iron when you're done ironing. Failing to do so is probably one of the main reasons for corrosion and rusty steam ruining clothing.

It also doesn't hurt to clean it regularly - like quarterly or semi-annually - and especially just before storing it if you won't be using it for a long while. Most cleaners for this purpose are acid-based (you can use diluted vinegar) and this helps to neutralize any alkalines in tap water that cause corrosion. Also, it doesn't hurt to wipe down the baseplate of the iron with a clean towel rinsed thoroughly in plain cold tap water, no matter if the base is metal or coated. After a few years, irons tend to begin corroding on the baseplate - primarily caused by detergent residues on clothing. Washing machines NEVER get it all out, heating them forces the moisture out of clothing, concentrating any alkaline detergent residues in the clothing and in turn on your iron, causing the slow relentless formation of corrosion. It usually starts in the tiny steam holes and crevices of the baseplate and spreads from there.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 32 (view)

College- A Dream Deferred.. Once Again, Penalizing the Poor
Posted: 11/22/2009 6:28:18 AM

said college grad enters the workforce..at the bottom.....and hopefully in his chosen field..........but usually not....buys a house ...a car.....yada yada yada............is barely making payments on everything BUT the student loans

Not too much chance of that happening from here on out...The laws regarding student loans have changed considerably in the last couple of years, especially in regards to home purchases. You have 6 months of deferral once you stop attending school, then you have to start repaying. With very few exceptions, if you become delinquent or default, there isn't too much chance of getting a home under any Federal program, as those applications are now all checked against delinquent Federal debt, specifically including student loans.
Failing to pay on these loans will get your loan/credit applications kicked out anymore. We also include anticipated payments in your debt ratio - even if you "forget" to tell us about them.

Bankruptcy won't relieve you of student loans now either - they are specifically excepted and follow you after discharge of other debts.

If you resume studies, you are then obligated to make payments on the original loans or say goodbye to future student loans. Too bad they weren't as stringent over the past few decades. Might have led to more financial responsibility and who knows - could even have inspired people not to engage in the type of behaviors that contributed heavily to the crash.

It's those folks who are now in their 30s-40s-50s who burned the taxpayer by not paying their student debt and got away scot free. Too bad those amounts were all discharged in bankruptcies.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 3 (view)

Ironing
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:33:15 PM
I would just fill it with water, plug it in, turn it on and start pushing the buttons. No better way to find out than trying.
 wantasmart1

Why are the Oregon forums so lame?
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:14:00 PM

Perhaps because Oregonians are boring?

Ding-ding-ding! We have a Winnah!!!
Getting anyone over 29 to go out and do something is akin to pulling your own wisdom teeth. A painful experience once you get into it and almost always doomed to failure. It's like this on almost any site where Oregonians are alleged to assemble. Especially so in the Salem area where the boring factor seems to be quadrupled.
 wantasmart1

Single's Mixer Tonight!
Posted: 11/21/2009 8:00:47 PM
I didn't see any announcement of this event this time in e-mail. I didn't know anything about it until I happened to look at the bottom of my inbox page by chance and saw a small link saying "Single's Mixer Tonight".

:(
 wantasmart1
Msg: 23 (view)

Posted: 11/21/2009 7:47:41 PM

To quote an 11 year old who stood up in class in opposition of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance- "It says 'Equality and Justice for all'". This is not equality, so either our forefathers made a typo or OUR GOVERNMENT is not following the requisites of which our nation was built on.

Is this the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance you're talking about??? I guess they must have changed it, if so. I haven't been in the habit of saying it every day for 4 decades or so, but I don't recall it going like that. "Equality and Justice for all"???
 wantasmart1
Msg: 19 (view)

Posted: 11/21/2009 11:17:40 AM
From what I'm seeing currently, today's schools are less about education and more about churning money through their coffers. As mentioned above, the textbook scam is also one of the biggest going anywhere. My last accounting book cost me over $250. While it has all the material needed for Management Accounting as well, because of the aforementioned changes - mostly having to do with ethics issues over years-old scandals - I will have to buy yet another $250+ textbook for my last accounting class.

The main reason tuitions at many schools are rising so quickly, if you really are interested, is that many of these schools placed their endowment fund money into the same risky, foolish investments as much of the rest of the globe only to have those investments collapse. Had they placed them into more conservative choices, they'd be a lot more solvent today without having to jack students for the administrators' mistakes.

Another big reason is that many businesses - schools included - are now trying to position themselves for survival when the expected inflation begins. Inflation that is the direct result of foolish moves to try to control the economy while at the same time still trying to institute very expensive social programs under the new administration. Education of students is the absolute last thing on their minds.

This society is not evolving, but de-volving, as is the educational system and the value that they currently purport to instill for all the money spent. It's a big joke. I can state first-hand that most of what's being "taught" can be picked up from any number of news articles and magazines for free. The remainder can be picked up from $40 textbooks at any number of bookstores or from buying last term's texts at deep discount online. You'll probably end up learning more that way than through a $350 college course and accompanying $180 textbook which is essentially the same as the $40 version.

So - if the cost of living is between 2 and 3% currently, why are tuitions climbing 10-15% per year? Follow the money. Right into the pockets of school investors, administrators and so-called instructors. Many instructors are making full-time money while working part-time, while also holding down outside full-time jobs . As a result, as in my economics "class" - you don't hear from them for two weeks at a time on occasion.

I also agree with choosing your major wisely. It's just plain stupid to choose a major and spend 2-4-6 years pursuing it when projections say those jobs will only be around for 5-10 years at most. I recommend reviewing your major at minimum every 3-6 months to make sure the industry hasn't changed so much there will be no jobs when you graduate. This is provided you're attending in order to acquire job-specific education.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 12 (view)

Controlling Ravenous Garden Snails
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:50:25 PM
You know if you lay down diatomaceous earth (mostly silica skeletons of diatom algae), and regularly water your yard, it will probably do nothing, right? It's supposed to work by desiccating slugs. But it can't dry them out if it's wet. Slugs love humid places...you might start looking for your real solution with that fact.

One thing I absolutely don't understand is why in the world you'd transport this pest to a public space and release them to propagate there as well???
 wantasmart1
Msg: 13 (view)

Mexico Asks UN for Troops
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:33:39 PM

Looks like our neighbor to the south is having quite a few crimminal problems. THey are not only asking for help from the UN but from the US.
Since this has already been spilling over to the US and could spill over even more, what are your thoughts on this situation.

Is this some sort of a surprise? Everyone who didn't know this would happen - stand and hold up your hands.

Further thoughts? Finish the damned fence! I fail to see how constructing a border fence that goes for 300 yards, then is missing for 1,000, then goes for 50 yards, and is missing for a mile, etc. does anything. It allows politicians to claim they're working on the border problem...nothing more. Why do you think the criminals there have become so powerful and well-armed? Because we've provided them so many easy routes to trafficking their goods in and arms out of the U.S.

The fence isn't even on the border in most areas - it's set back onto landowners' property many yards back, so as to give the invaders a good space to work on getting around the fence, under it or over it. I would love to see the border fence go right down the center of the river. Let them dig under that!

Staff the border. Shoot back when shot at. If rogue Mexican army units continue to invade the border, take them prisoner and put them in jail. Confiscate their vehicles, arms, equipment and uniforms. The standing order for Border Patrol now when they see rogue military crossing over, or plain clothes squads or armed invaders moving toward them is : "Run for your life! Do not engage!"
 wantasmart1
Msg: 6 (view)

A new amnesty bill? How many times will this happen?
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:23:28 PM

A new amnesty bill? How many times will this happen?

How many times? Why - until they completely disband the Border Patrol and repeal any and all immigration laws, of course! That's the eventual goal. To turn us into a FOURTH world country. The kind where someplace like Somalia is preferable. No borders...just walk right in, take what you want, do what you feel like doing, then leave your mess behind.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 8 (view)

How do I get ink out of clothes?
Posted: 11/13/2009 10:19:17 PM
It all depends on what kind of "ink" it was. That's second most important. The most important thing is what kind of material the clothing is made of. If it's synthetic you stand a much better chance. Natural fibers won't stand up to much stain removal before they degrade and/or fall apart.

For consumers, there's a line of stain removers in little 1-ounce applicators in most sewing stores. I forget the brand name, but it's from Germany. It's got the same kinds of ingredients used by professionals. Whatever you try, place a piece of junk cloth - an old cotton t-shirt or towel - under the piece so it wicks away any loosened ink components.

Try the automotive handcleaner - not the pumice stuff, but the cream like Sta-Lube, etc. Apply it, gently agitate it and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. If it lightens, just repeat that 2-3 times. If not, then try something else. There is a carrier component and a pigment component to inks and once the carrier is removed, the pigments may remain embedded in the fibers. You can try high temperature water to expand the fibers and rinse the pigments out, but if it's a natural fiber, it may never come out entirely.

Don't be surprised if the material melts when trying highly volatile chemicals. That's why they call them "solvents". They dissolve things.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 121 (view)

Fort Hood shooting - What are the questions? What are the answers?
Posted: 11/9/2009 1:42:11 PM
And so, one-by-one, his fellow practitioners in the military come out to say they "knew" something would happen eventually, describing their individual experiences and observations of him. Yet, not a single one said or did anything about this "coming breakdown". And these are the jokesters treating returning military. So what happens when they see one of their patients headed in a similar direction? Well, obviously they'll wait until AFTER something happens and then hit the news media to say what sages they all were. If I were one of his fellow doctors, I'd just keep my mouth shut so as not to prove my incompetence.

His commanding officer, in contrast, says she saw absolutely no sign of anything wrong and that he was an examplary worker who did his job well...COs...Always the last to know.
Maybe we should be looking into what's wrong with this present system instead of palming it off on "terrorism". Oh wait. It's the military. There aren't any unbalanced people in there, right? So I guess it must be terrorism.

Simplistic, but convenient...and cheaper in the short-run. Deadly otherwise.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 84 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2009 4:17:14 PM

It still begs the question though; 'Why did he stay?'

In the military now, they have these things that are essentially commitment contracts. They've been around for quite a while. As was mentioned, he tried getting out through normal channels. He even offered to pay back the cost of his medical training in order to get out. The government is pretty persuasive when it thinks it wants you to do something for it no matter how bad the deal turns out for you.

It's not the sort of job where you can just quit when you feel like it - there are some pretty severe penalties - unless you can get a shrink to testify that you are about to go off the deep end. Where does a shrink go to get that kind of opinion? Since he himself is a shrink - who would believe he wasn't just faking it to get out - since he knows all the buzzwords and trigger phrases that might add up to a discharge? Hearing his "fellow" doctors speak of him, it sounds more like they avoided each other as much as possible.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 34 (view)

Freegans ond others
Posted: 11/8/2009 4:08:03 PM
Newsflash....It's already got a name. It's called DUMPSTER-DIVING. Giving it a new name won't make it any less disgusting or risky. Do you honestly think the garbage company comes along every day and washes then sanitizes their dumpsters? This is where cats go to get sick.

How many homeless have already been by shortly after taking a dump around the corner, then rummaging through what these folks consider "treasure"? Yeah, it looks fine. So do STD-infected hookers. Doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with them. What happens when you pull out a perfectly fine-looking cake because you didn't know it had beeen exposed to toxic chemicals? By all means, have a feast.

What's next? Dipping "cycled" corn kernels out of the toilet because some of them are obviously still unused? Hey! You can wash them off and boil them into tonight's stew...and just spit out any germs later.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 80 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2009 3:39:37 PM

She attended church so she would not suffer the consequences of them eventually finding out she was non-religious. She said she would just go sit in the back and act like she's praying when they do and don't get involved in any of the extra activities and you can get by without having any problems. So she can't be true to herself and has to keep watching over her shoulder.

That's just downright sad. Sounds like a scene right out of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". As far as your last line - for some people and organizations, sadly, appearances really are everything.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 14 (view)

Sgt. Kimberly Denise Munley - A true American hero
Posted: 11/8/2009 7:29:40 AM
Here's an excerpt from a REAL, old-style reporter. One who gets actual news instead of still parroting 2-day old, erroneous info as in other "fresh" reports this morning:

According to Chuck Medley, civilian director of police and firefighters at a base that houses more than 50,000 soldiers and their families, the first 911 call came to dispatchers at 1:23 p.m. A radio call and computerized alert went out to Kimberly Munley, 35, a civilian policewoman who was having her cruiser serviced by mechanics nearby. Within four minutes, Medley and Grimsley said, the female officer had exchanged gun blasts with Hasan, saving the life of at least one soldier but getting seriously wounded herself.

"By her engaging (Hasan)," Medley said, "he turned away from him and began engaging her" — a decision the deputy commander of III Corps believes was "critical" to saving the soldier and possibly many others.

According to Medley, Munley had peeked around a small building, realized that the "situation was critical" and "fired at the suspect," missing the suspected gunman but forcing him to stop, pivot and fire at her "several times."

"Then he began to charge her, and she continued to engage him," said Medley.

Hasan and Munley stood at very close range, shooting at each other. Medley said Hasan's shots struck the officer in the hand and wrist. She fell back, Medley said, "and she continued to engage him" from the ground.

From a nearby knoll, civilian policeman Mark Todd rushed to her rescue and fired at Hasan. While investigators still haven't said which gun fired the bullets that wounded Hasan, both Medley and Grimsley said the alleged gunman went down with "a significant number of wounds."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/health/s_652150.html

The story also discusses friendly fire and the fact, despite what others are reporting as definitive findings, that aspect of the investigation is still on-going and nothing is closed yet. It's just a great report, without all the political fluff I'm seeing in many others.

From another story, Munley was shot in one thigh, the bullet went through and into her other leg as well, in addition to being shot in the arm/wrist.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 56 (view)

Recent string of shooting rampages
Posted: 11/8/2009 6:57:41 AM

Notice that I used the correct (by media and most of the general publics standards) terms of "clips" and "bullets".

Lol...clips. I always like that one.

For those that don't know, a "clip" is what the cartridges are affixed to in order to keep them organized in the shipping box. Each case of ammunition for military use included a few clip strippers along with the 20-round cartons of ammunition. The strippers attach to an empty magazine. The full clip fits into the top of the stripper. You push downward in one motion and shove all the cartridges off the "clip", through the stripper and into the MAGAZINE. The clip is now trash. You load 20 rounds in the time it takes to load one individually. Then you insert the magazine into the weapon or an ammo pouch or magazine can. At least that's what my old U.S. Army training sergeants taught us as the correct terminology in ROTC. They could have been wrong, I suppose.

There used to be other clips for the old M-1's from WWII and before. The entire clip ("all" 8 rounds!) went into the rifle - but still went into the magazine. When you ran out of ammo, the clip was automatically ejected out with a metallic "cling!" and you shoved another one in. It would close automatically as you did so, often biting your thumb. Magazines are much friendlier to hands than clips.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 71 (view)

Posted: 11/8/2009 6:23:35 AM

So far this year, 117 soldiers on active duty were reported to have committed suicide. The Army has only 408 psychiatrists — military, civilian and contractors — serving about 553,000 active-duty troops around the world. As a result, some soldiers home from war, suffering from nightmares and panic attacks, say they have waited almost a year to see a psychiatrist.

In other words, aside from the fancy, expensive toys, things really are little better than they were 35 years ago. No wonder Hasan was trying to get out, instead finding himself being sent into the combat theater. It sounded to me from earlier stories that he tried to seek help. At the very least - what the hell were all his fellow mili-shrinks thinking when they heard him say strange stuff? Seems they just turned and walked away.

I thought we were supposed to be giving our returning military the very best care money could buy? 35-40 years from now all of these folks will be complaining about what a crappy system the VA is, how their complaints were ignored, broken promises, etc... Provided they survive. We really haven't learned a damned thing. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 11 (view)

Sgt. Kimberly Denise Munley - A true American hero
Posted: 11/7/2009 8:06:16 PM
For sure anyone running toward an armed suspect should be considered heroic. I also read late last night that the suspect was shot four times and was shot at least twice by Munley, which also led me to ask - who else helped?

There were a lot of heroic acts in this incident. The media likes to zero in on THE hero of any incident and they forget about all the other tiny and not-so-tiny acts that added up. For instance, the woman who bodily carried her shot friend out of the area to safety, only to find out after doing so that she herself had been shot in the hip? I think there was more than a single hero in this case.

Then, too, there were several reports very soon after the incident that some of the victims MAY have been hit by "friendly fire". If that is the case, then that should also be investigated and disclosed. Why did the casualty rate go from 38 wounded and 12 killed into late last night, to 30 wounded (and 13 dead) "by the suspect" this morning? Were there 7-8 others who weren't shot by him?

I'm still curious about the two "accomplices" who were taken into custody for several hours and then released with no further word. There were reports of gunfire in another part of the base, although by then the suspect was already down. Who was doing that shooting and who might have gotten shot? An hour and a half after the 4-minute spree, a reported on camera was interrupted by another emergency siren warning people to take cover.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 41 (view)

Posted: 11/7/2009 11:22:38 AM
It's also very easy to never be without an unloaded weapon - just don't shoot until the slide locks back...When you know you're low, you swap in a new mag. That's what I practiced on the combat range. You still have one in the chamber and if you're really smart, have selected a weapon with no mag safety. You effectively have an unending magazine, provided you brought along enough of them.

I practiced the same type of technique with my 870 with 8-round magazine. Any lull in the shooting, you're stuffing shells back into the mag, so the gun's always as full as possible. I do the exact same thing with a 3-round Mossberg so that it's always a 4-round Mossberg.

The thing about the round and gun this guy was using - a 5.7mm FN (Five-seven, probably), the round is small - 28 or 40 grains, but it's doing almost 2,000 fps. That's 330-340 foot-lbs of energy each. Compared to a standard 9mm at 12-1400 fps, 115-140 grains (310-475 foot-lbs each). What it means is that this thing can zip through you like butter and just as likely zip into or through another person near you as well, unless it hits one of your bones and continues ricocheting inside of you. Earliest commercial loads were discontinued because they were penetrating Level IIA vests in testing.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 42 (view)

Posted: 11/7/2009 10:47:03 AM
Early on - as in an hour and a half to two hours after the incident, one of the reports indicated a witness saying he raised his gun into the air and yelled "Praise Obama!" then leveled it and began firing. Others say he yelled "Allahu Akhbar" before firing. Big difference between the two phrases. I supposed it's possible and even likely he could have said both - even at different times and locations before resuming fire. Of course some "witnesses" claim he simply stood up and began firing without saying a thing. Notably at least one medic who treated one of the first victims, but was nowhere in the vicinity of the shootings. With "witnesses" like that, you'll never really find out what happened, why or how.

That first report was only up for an hour at most before it simply disappeared. At the time it was online, it had the latest information and it was quoting an eyewitness to the shootings.

So the shooter's in a coma but expected to live, although paralyzed. Eventually, we should just be able to ask him why he did it. He'd been getting flack from all around him over ihs religion and personal beliefs. I don't know that it makes what he did a Jihad, any more than McVeigh's adventure was a Christian crusade. Just some guy who didn't believe the same thing as others around him and was ridiculed constantly over it on top of dealing with the problems of returning Gulf vets as a psychiatrist. He'd been trying to leave the military for a while - even going so far as offering to pay for the medical training he received, but they refused to give him a discharge.

So he went off the deep end, as others do as well. There are many parallel precedents, including ones connected with Iran and Afghanistan. That doesn't make this a "terrorist act" unless his specific intent was to cause terror in support of his message - whatever that might be, if any. Some folks simply just go off the deep end when pushed to the edge.
 wantasmart1

Best ISP?
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:53:30 PM
Depends on who you were with and what you were paying versus the normal rate. Every single one of the sucker deals I've seen have the normal rate in fine print plainly in sight.
I pay about $40 a month for 7-megabit truly unlimited DSL through Qwest, plus am then also able to access any of the AT&T/Qwest wifi hotspots in the country.

Qwest hasn't always been the best, but they've gotten much better than they used to be.

I would much prefer a wireless broadband national coverage but not willing to pay $79-$99 a month for that, then be restricted in bandwidth per month and extra charges for excess use. If you have a cellphone company see if they provide coverage and for how much in addition to your cell charges. Use caution, some carriers may claim and advertise "unlimited" Internet usage, but again plainly state a 5 GB per month or similar limit, then charge more for overage...another $10 per gb or so.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 27 (view)

Posted: 11/6/2009 7:21:32 PM

Agree with this. Not easy, but surely better than arming the population to fend off the result.

There's a significant difference between NOT arming a population to fend off violence (so if you're unarmed, the violent offenders will bypass you??), and disarming a population on the mere theory that it will reduce violence. This completely ignores the all-important social factors in any particular country or society. If violence is already a growing concern, how will keeping otherwise law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves reduce that violence? In short - it won't.

The old truism holds: When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns...Further, they'll know that the average victim likely will not have a gun and be subject to much easier pickings, as has happened elsewhere with civilian disarmament. Until you deal with the outlaws, violence will only continue to grow, regardless of an armed versus unarmed population. Violent crimes are, by definition, committed by criminals.

Old timers, did we ever have that much pressure to keep up with the Joneses before?

Yes, we did. From the very first ads, it was always aimed at keeping up with the Joneses, or at the very least - "Look at what I can do that you can't.". We just didn't have so many people believing in getting rich quick without working hard for it, nor as many suckers who will believe whatever they see in the media as the gospel truth. People were a lot more focused on doing their jobs and doing them well, only giving time to such nonsense when everything else in their lives was taken care of. Today, it's the exact opposite for most. Their jobs are just the stepping stone to winning the lottery or finding out they have an unknown billionaire uncle.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 77 (view)

Guns a right but healthcare a privelage?
Posted: 11/6/2009 7:03:46 PM
European countries that boomed post war much like the U.S., are now seeing a marked increase in retiring baby boomers. Take Germany, the largest EU economy:

Between 1970 and 2003, the numbers of retired and unemployed in Western Germany were up by 80% to 16.3 million, while workers to replace and support them rose by only 4% to 30.7 million. By the end of 2003, more than 50% of Germany's unemployed had been without a job for a year or more, compared to 6% of the same in the U.S. Societal spending (welfare) has grown to 30% of GDP - more than twice that of the U.S. So payroll and employment taxes are high. (Info Source: The Wall Street Journal, July 10, 2003)

While these numbers are a few years old, they aren't all that old and I don't believe things got significantly better in the past few years. The government was looking at reducing entitled vacation time from 30 days per year for all. Hours of work were being cut. The government is forcing recipients to dispose of "luxuries" such as a basic automobile in order to continue receiving unemployment. Their basic message to citizens: "It's time to get off the dole and get back to work - any work."

I'm not quite sure where Germany currently stands on health care coverage - how wide the coverage is and to what extent it may be subsidized (measured health care or unlimited?). I know their goal was cradle-to-grave. But one thing is for sure: They were already hurting badly in 2003. The rest of the world was coming out of a slowdown with slow but positive growth, while Germany was just entering a recession. (Source: World Economic and Social Survey 2003).

At present, Germany had four consecutive losing quarters in 2008-2009, with the first quarter of 2009 dropping 3.5% - the largest ever. By the end of July, it had finally climbed out of the negative after a year, to a meager 0.3% growth rate again. Whether, as in the U.S., this small improvement was a reflection of national stimulus plans or not, remains to be seen.

... Would you say that Germany has socialized medical care?

No, it's not a socialized system, because you can pick your insurance, public or private. Many people can even opt [out], and the sickness funds compete for members. You have free hospital or physician choice; there are very few limits on choice in the system. ... In a socialized system, everything is planned; in Germany, basically everything is open for nonprofit competition.
- Prof. Karl Lauterbach,
Health economist and member of German parliament
(Source: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/themes/socialized.html)

This German politician and health expert himself says Germany does NOT have socialized healthcare, but non-profit health care.
 wantasmart1
Msg: 21 (view)

ok,,its gone too far...welfare cell phones?
Posted: 11/6/2009 6:20:46 PM
Our welfare system has become just another lifestyle. It's more lavish now than it has ever been. Why not cellphones? They're given everything else. Isn't that what many seem to be advocating? No adult left behind?

When they switched to plastic for food stamps here, one of the primary reasons given was so that recipients could escape the stigma of being a welfare recipient and pretend they were swiping a credit card like everyone else. This way, they could be PROUD to be "food stamp" recipients.

But I'll go you one better. If you're on Section 8 housing, the government will now buy you a house of your own. That's right...you read that correctly. They'll put up the down payment and closing costs for you. What's even better, if you can't make the full mortgage payment using your existing housing allowance and (if any) your portion of your housing payment, the government will then subsidize your mortgage payment. Presumably at some point, you will get off the dole and begin to earn your own money to pay for "your" house. But - why should you? Meanwhile others who work hard and pay taxes their entire lives are relegated to eventually die in some beat apartment.

Each time you add another such benefit, you provide one more reason for not going out and trying to earn one's own way. Much more to come.

Show ALL Forums