Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Proper Blocking etiquette
 ffryan
Msg: 198 (view)

Proper Blocking etiquette
Posted: 6/1/2010 5:04:28 PM
I've got to admit, I get fascinated with the social aspect of this website.

When I first signed up for this site I send a gal an email. I knew that if it was read and not replied to then I'd move on. I checked my sent folder the following day and noticed that the email was gone. I thought there were problems with the site and that it didn't get sent. So I typed up a new one and when I tried to send it I got the message that I was blocked. At the time I didn't knopw what to make of it. I know I was polite, typed an original email (no cut and paste), etc. My next thought was the ignorance of the person I'd typed the email to. That she'd just assume that I'd harass her with email after email. Either this individual was paranoid or full of herself, I don't know.

The whole unread/deleted is the same way. That an individual cannot be bothered to take 10 seconds to read an email. Yes, I know some women get a lot of email. It takes a lot longer to scan my profile than it does my email. Unless you are basing your intent to reply soly on the pictures (which I know is often the case).

A lot of things that happen on this site intrigue me, as a psychology grad doing an advanced degree in human behavior. There are a few questions this website has partially answered for me. 1) If you weren't obligated to be civil or decent to a peson, would you be? 2) If you could take the easy road, when dealing with other people, would you?

A lot of the unwarrented blocking and the unread/deleted paint a very unflattering picture of how people have become in this day and age. It's unfortunate to see how many people take the easy way out and fail to be decent human beings, simply because they are not forced to be. I read these boards frequently and know people always have excuses that sound good. Such as a fear of being spoken harshly to by others (in other words them being a decent, polite person is dependent on how others behave). At the end of the day they wouldn't want to receive that kind of treatment from somebody they were interested in.
 ffryan
Msg: 68 (view)

Texting or Emails Instead of Talking
Posted: 5/29/2010 6:05:00 PM
Texting instead of talking seems to be a regular trend these days. I don't know how many women I've encountered that prefer e-communication instead of the real thing. It's not necessarily a sign that they are involved with somebody else.
 ffryan
Msg: 99 (view)

How to courteously tell someone you're not interested...?
Posted: 5/29/2010 6:00:22 PM
Be polite, honest, considerate, and treat them how you'd want to be treated.
 ffryan
Msg: 240 (view)

Is living at home with parents such a turn off for dating someone?
Posted: 5/29/2010 5:55:36 PM
Each individual scenario is unique. It depends why somebody is living at home. I lived at home for many years because it helped me save up. It wasn't because I was a bum or afraid to leave the nest. Staying at home was the smart financial decision that will benefit me for the rest of my life.

Sure I could have moved out, been forced to have a roomate, live day to day, not have much money to invest in my own future because I was struggling financially. Instead I sucked up my pride and saved my money. I'm 28, have a great career, own my own home in Toronto, own my own vehicle, have money to do renos, have money to have a life, and can save, and don't need a roomate to make ends meet. My mortgage is 60% what it would have been if I moved out years ago. I'll be in debt a shorter time. Which was the intelligent decision? Did I get rejected by a few women while I was living at home? Yes. Does it bother me? Absolutely not. They were more interested in apperances than in what was in my best interest. In hindsight I'm glad they did that because it limited my exposure to short sighted people who will hold me back in life.

Some people need to abandon their pride-based thinking because it's probably crippling you and causing you to miss out on some great things and special people in life. If I had wasted my time worrying about what people thought of me I wouldn't be in anywhere near the financial position I'm in today.
 ffryan
Msg: 50 (view)

white collar woman, blue collar man.
Posted: 4/17/2010 10:34:24 AM
Some people won't stand for you infringing on their insecurities. Many blue collar workers do that with white collar workers because for some reason many white collar workers consider themselves superior. It's very unfortunate that others exist soly to look good in the eyes of others.
 ffryan
Msg: 29 (view)

First Aid
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:40:58 AM
As important as CPR is, don't expect to actually get somebody back doing it. The heart most often stops beating because of electrical issues surrounding its contractions. Because the heart stops beating, fresh oxygenated blood doesn't circulate and body tissue begins to die. CPR is simply causing the heart to manually pump blood to keep the tissues alive and functioning. Early defibrillation is the important thing as the heart needs an electrical shock. This shock temporarily stops the heart so it can start beating properly again. In a sense this is hitting the reset button.

You won't revive somebody who has stopped breathing and has no pulse simply with CPR. 99.5% of the times that somebody does come back with CPR, they were never vital signs abset in the first place. CPR is important because it keeps the heart alive until a defibrillation can "restart" the heart.

Keep in mind that there is no medical evidence whatsoever to conclude that CPR can hurt somebody who is not vital signs absent. In fact CPR is now the approved method for assisting somebody with a pulse who is not breathing. If you are ever beside somebody and are not sure if they have a pulse and are sure they are not breathing, do CPR. You're not going to hurt them.
 ffryan
Msg: 76 (view)

Running with a weighted vest.... anyone do it?
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:25:45 AM
Unless you a professional athlete, running with a weighted vest is a bad idea. It will increase your athletic performance, but at the expense of your knees, lower body joints and back.
 ffryan
Msg: 7 (view)

Celtics star goes from 110 million dollars to broke.
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:58:35 AM
I'm not all that surprised to see so many big name athletes having such financial problems. Whether it's $110, $110,000 or $110,000,000 you still need to know how to manage money. A lot of Walker's expenses seem to be on pretty noble things (ie supporting family, friends, charity, kids, etc).

The big problem seems to be that these guys are never taught how to manage money. In many cases these basketball players come from relatively poor backgrounds. Suddenly they are thrown into a world where there isn't anything they can't buy. They are surrounded by people who just want to get a piece of them. How many of their accountants have just been counting their money instead of teaching them how to invest, spend, alott it? Of course these athletes need to take responsibility for their actions.
 ffryan
Msg: 54 (view)

separated but still living together... to believe or not
Posted: 11/1/2009 5:49:20 AM
If you like the guy and he seems into you, yes it's worth pursuing..... after he moves out.
 ffryan
Msg: 16 (view)

is stalking considered a big problem here?
Posted: 10/26/2009 12:47:29 PM
Always keep your guard up. I think a good rule of thumb is to keep your guard up until you're given reasons to take it down.

Give out your cel number, not your home number. Meet in public places and use your own means of transport to get there. Pay your own way so nobody will ever be able to say "you owe me" (ie sex as payback for dinner).

Keep all your emails because you'll need them if you ever get into a situation where you need to deal with a stalker. Do not use subtle hints when dealing with people. Tell them outright "no". If you have not told somebody no, charged them with harassment can be tough.

Remember that this is the internet where many times things are not what they seem. Use maximum precautions at all times for your own safety. Contrary to popular belief, you can still have a lot of fun and meet great people while keeping these precautions in place. And truthfully, the guys that you will never have to worry about will understand why you have these precautions in place.
 ffryan
Msg: 13 (view)

Do the ladies on PoF tend to focus on 1 guy at a time?
Posted: 10/26/2009 12:42:00 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of the women I've interacted with on here have always been on the lookout for the bigger better deal.

I find it funny sometimes that I appear to hit it off great with somebody, then they disappear off the face of the earth. Then a short while later they come out of nowhere with a "how have you been" like nothing ever happened. I'll never begrudge somebody for doing that, but at least have the integrity to be honest about it. If you met somebody you thought was a better catch than me, decided to invest your time into them, and then realize you were wrong... admit it.

Integrity... boy I miss that quality.
 ffryan
Msg: 46 (view)

would you date a guy who doesn't believe in education-content with his job
Posted: 10/24/2009 9:19:03 AM
You didn't mention the most important aspect of anyone's career. Is he happy?
 ffryan
Msg: 28 (view)

She brought a friend to our date..
Posted: 10/17/2009 1:32:31 PM
Unfortunately you had to learn a good lesson here. Next time just say no. I'm surprised you stuck in as long as you did, you're a gentleman. I'd have walked out ling before you did.
 ffryan
Msg: 69 (view)

When do guys grow up
Posted: 10/17/2009 1:30:36 PM
You make it seem like men are the only ones.
 ffryan
Msg: 99 (view)

I find this site disheartening....
Posted: 10/17/2009 8:17:31 AM
This site can be very disheartening at times. I stopped putting my faith in it a long time ago because I realized the chances of meeting somebody special were really few and far between. I still have a little bit of optimisn left though.

In my experiences the majority of women on this site can fall into two categories;

1) Bitter and angry at the world. You see that very much on these forums.

2) Those who have such high expectations that they will likely never find that special person that they are looking for. I wouldn't even describe it as picky as much as I would as narrow minded. I've seen profiles where ladies even put what kind of hairstyle they want their guy to have and they refuse to "settle". Looking at ther laundry-lists of specific things some women want just make me laugh. I even saw one profile where the gal had such a detailed description of what she wants, pretty much down to her ideal man's shoe size. Then she described how she didn't want to get hurt again because she has had such a bad history with men. My first thought was, "you just described in vivid detail the kind of guy who would probably cheat on you". Of course these laundry lists go right out the window if a guy is good looking or has money.

A few friends of mine have moved away from this site to others like eharmony and have had luck there. Personally I consider all the online stuff to be the same. Same games, only on others you have to pay. Stick with things here for a while. There are some pretty good people on this site and hopefully you'll run across them. I still think (could be naive) that I may still meet the one good person who makes the bad ones worth it.
 ffryan
Msg: 71 (view)

My body,My choice!
Posted: 10/8/2009 1:57:41 PM
You're right, you shouldn't have to be forced to inject anything into your body. But should the taxpayers of your community be forced to pay for your sick time when you get ill? Should your patients have to suffer because you're not at work, but home sick?

The flu vaccine causing illness isn't nearly as sound an argument as some advocates would like to believe.

I hope you don't lose your job over this but I do respect you standing your ground for something you believe in.
 ffryan
Msg: 10 (view)

Credit card rejected on first date.
Posted: 10/4/2009 2:24:01 PM
I was on a date once when my credit card was rejected. I'd not had my debit card with me. Thankfully I knew the manager as I was a fairly frequent customer and he said he'd hold onto the bill and I could come back to pay it. I noticed an change in the demeanor of my date. I took her home afterwards, and noticed she was not very chatty. I never heard from her again, even after leaving a few messages for her. I can only assume this was as a result of her thinking I was broke and unable to pay my bills. I know that money was important to her and this probably made a bad impression. When I got home I called my credit card company and straightened things out. They'd frozen my account because of questionable transactions that had been billed to my card. Apparently somebody in Alberta was illegally using my card and my provider caught it. They'd also left a voice mail minutes after they froze the account. I still had plenty of money in all my accounts and could have paid for dinner a hundred times over. The restaurant manager had a bit of a chuckle over it too. I think it's funny that my date stopped speaking to me because she was under the impression that I was broke.

Ladies, be careful about the conclusions you draw.
 ffryan
Msg: 4 (view)

Whats up with the copy and paste?
Posted: 10/2/2009 9:02:00 PM
I've never done the copy and paste thing, but can understand why guys do it. It takes time to write a personalized email. Personally, I get about 1 reply to ever 10 emails I send out. It takes a lot of time to write personalized messages, try to strike up a conversation with somebody based on common interests, etc. I can totally see why guys don't want top spend time doing that only to see the read/deleted or unread/deleted because the woman he emailed didn't look past his picture.

4/5 initial emails I got from women, when I had my pic up, were one sentence versions of various deliveries of "hey, how are you". Both men and women do it.
 ffryan
Msg: 21 (view)

Leg Exercises for Mass
Posted: 8/19/2009 8:48:26 PM
Freddie Hatfield was my preceptor for my personal trainer course. At 67 I think he can still outsquat me without breaking much of a sweat. Powerlifter turned PhD, he's definitely one of the best sources of information out there.

OP,

Are you new(er) to working out? From the tone of your post it sounds like it so I'll taylor my response assuming that.

Your workout isn't all that bad but it needs some fine tuning. When doing cardio as a warmup, pick something light and low intensity. I think the stationary bike is perfect for most people. All you want to do is get the blood flowing and get your body warm. Avoid the treadmill and anything that will get your heart rate up. It's not necessary and can be counter productive to your workout.

There are 3 big leg exercises that you need to do if you want your quads to grow. Squats are called the king of exercises for a reason. Leg presses allow you to put the heaviest weight you'll use on any bodypart. Leg extensions have the ability to get into the deep muscle fibers and do some good work for your quads. When it comes to hamstrings I think that leg curls are good for a beginner, combined with stiff leg deadlifts when you're more advanced and comfortable with the workout. I think calves are an important bodypart that should be done apart from your upper legs. Just my opinion based on my own exercising. I've found that my results are better and I am stronger when I do them on different days.

As Dave said, basic moves are all you need. A lot of pro's don't get fancy with their leg routines. 5x5's, 20 rep sets, partial reps, forced reps, etc are all great but at this point i don't think they'd be beneficial to you. In a year or two I would suggest trying them, but not right now.

My suggestion;
1) Squats; 3 sets of 10 reps
2) Leg Press, 3 sets of 10 reps
3) Leg Extensions, 3 sets of 10 reps
4) Leg Curls, 3 sets of 10 reps (many people will say 6-8 reps, I find 10 work best for me with curls, play with rep ranges and find what works best for you for hams)
5) Stiff leg Deadlifts, 3 sets of 6-8 reps (do this when you're comfortable with the workout, have an experience lifter watch you to make sure you're doing it right or you may hurt yourself)
6) Hindu Squats, to failure (start with 1 set but work up to 3 over time)

To answer your questions;

1) I find deadlifts are best for back day. The exercise recruits muscles from the entire body but work the back best.
2) Doing a proper cardio warm-up is very important. You don't want to do too much or too little. Too much will compromise your workout and too little leaves you prone to injury. As I mentioned before, 5 minutes of low intensity cardio should be fine.
3) Don't bother with partial reps at this point in your leg workout. Re-examine the idea in a year or so.

You're getting some pretty good advice here. There are a lot of good articles on bodybuilding.com. Also a massive forum over there where there are lots of trainers, pro bb'ers, powerlifters, and science students. It's the best resource on the internet for any type of fitness.

Hope this helps. All the best.
 ffryan
Msg: 48 (view)

When guys get cocky
Posted: 8/18/2009 7:13:20 PM
Cockiness is a trait that takes years to develop. It's nothing you did. My guess is that the guys you've been with have just taken a little while to show their true colours. Don't blame yourself.
 ffryan
Msg: 349 (view)

Is Anderson Silva the World's Best MMA Fighter?
Posted: 8/13/2009 12:06:56 AM
Anderson may claim to walk around at 220 but I don't buy that for a second.

At UFC 77 Anderson fought Rich Franklin. At the weigh-ins they both came in at 184. Anderson looked bigger than Rich. Yet the day after when they fought, Rich was considerably larger than Anderson. Rich has always said that he walks around at 210-215. Rich was shredded at the weigh-ins, Anderson was not. He put a lot of water weight back on before the fight, Anderson didn't. Anderson didn't look all that lighter at the weigh-ins than he did for the fight. At UFC 82 & 90 he had very similar looks at both the weigh-ins and at the fight. When he fought Dan Henderson, he looked considerably smaller. Interesting because Henderson has always been about 205 or so. In fact he petitioned Danada White to stay at LHW because he didn't want to cut weight anymore. I can't accept that Anderson cuts 35lbs of water for a fight. Not to mention about what that would do to a fighter physically to have to drop that kind of weight. I've found cutting even 10-15lbs can be draining. Anderson is cutting more than double that and competing at a much higher level. I walk around at 225 so I know how big somebody is at that bodyweight when they are in shape. I know what I look like when I cut 20lbs to get to 205 and I don't see that with Anderson.

To put this in perspective Chuck Liddell claims to walk around at 220. He's the same height as Anderson but there is no question that Chuck is much more massive. Tito Ortiz and Randy Couture have both made claims to walk around at 220-225 when competing at LHW, and they are the same height as Anderson. Again, these are guys who are far more massive than Anderson is.

Anderson wouldn't be the first professional athlete to fictionalize his stats. When I was playing high school football I was 5'11, 185lbs... but my stat sheet read 6'1, 205lbs. I don't buy Anderson walks around at 220... I don't buy that Forrest Griffen walks around at 240. As a guy who has cut weight many many times there are a number of other reasons why I just don't buy it.
 ffryan
Msg: 133 (view)

anyone here used steroids?
Posted: 8/12/2009 7:50:16 PM

sundayraver, I will say what John Cena said or something similar:

"I never used steroids, but you will never be able to prove I did".

What you saw was the CNN edited version which made it look like Cena said he took steroids. here is a clip to the unedited version. CNN carefully edited out 60 seconds between the reporter questioning Cena and the answer that you saw aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zagHPxxO0X8

This is the reason why I think CNN has no credibility for objective coverage of this issue. They present what they want people to see, not what reality actually is.

I've been a competitive athlete for over 15 years. I've competed at the national levels for amateur wrestling and will be trying out for the Olympics the next time out. If I had a quarter for each time I was accused of taking steroids, I'd have lifetime funding for the coke machine. I've never taken them and see no reason to do so. There is a tremendous ignorance about steroids in our society. So many people seem to think they are the magical answer. I've seen a lot of people take steroids over the years and have come up with a conclusion; unless you are a genetically gifted athlete already at your peak, or close to it, steroids aren't going to give you a result that you couldn't have achieved without them. Advocates don't seem to like to advertise that steroids don't produce great results with most people.

I'm 5'11, 225lbs, 50" chest, 18" arms. I can bench press 400lbs, squat 225 for 46 reps, do 25 deadhang pullups, and run a mile and a half in under 10 minutes. No steroids, just hard work and dedication. My father was 5'7 170lbs at his peak and my mother is 5'0 120lbs so it wasn't genetics. I was 5'9, 135lbs at 13 years old, and could barely bench press 95lbs once. Years and years of hard work and dedication have helped me get to where I am. There are probably a bunch of other guys who have never touched steroids and are reading this and saying to themsleves, "I'm stronger than that guy". I'm by no means some physical specimen.

Unless you are getting your information from somebody with an M.D. behind their name, you need to question your sources. I'm a regular on bodybuilding.com and the guys on the steroid section are in such denial it's shameful. They are completely closed minded to any concept that is not pro-steroid. Doctors tend to not know much about things like creatine and protein supplements. But they do know about steroids because pharmacology is what physicians do, especially the "pill pushers" that most GP's are. If you can't get your steroids legally from them, that should tell you all you need to. If your information sources are from the internet, you need to get a reality check quickly before you do something to hurt yourself.

How much testosterone does your body naturally produce? What are your insulin levels? What is your blood sugar? How many hours does it take your body to recover from a hard workout? If you can't answer these simple questions about your own body then you have no business taking steroids because you don't know why you're taking them in the first place. If you can't answer these then I seriously doubt you know the potential consequences of steroid abuse.

I don't want my arteries hardening up. I don't want to be a dialysis patient. I want to see my grandkids grow up. I don't want to have to take pills for the rest of my life to fix the problems that steroid abuse has created. It seems that some people are willing to risk these things for a few years of looking good in the prime of their lives. I really hope you don't have to suffer the consequences of bad decisions.

Learn what your body is capable of without steroids. Workout hard, hire a trainer for a few months, hone your diet, get at least 200g of protein a day, take natural vitamins. Don't cheat with steroids. Why use steroids when you might not need to in the first place.
 ffryan

Best place to buy Supps?
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:39:45 AM

A great place for Canadians other than GNC is Popeyes Supplements or SNDCanada. Dont know if they ship anywhere outside. Popeyes owns both just that some store havent changed their name yet. Wayy cheaper than GNC.

If you're in Canada this is definitely the best option. I've been going to both for a long time and the prices in Canada can't be beat nor can the selection. Orders over $100 are shipped for free. GNC costs more even after you incorporate the gold discount.

If you're in the US you should be going with bodybuilding.com. Again, biggest selection and best prices. They have incredible customer service too.
 ffryan
Msg: 19 (view)

What are the best exercises to bulk up my triceps?
Posted: 8/3/2009 3:07:08 PM
Trriceps:
Close-grip bench presses 6 x 6-10
Pushdowns 6 x 6-10
French press (barbell) 6 x 6-10
One-arm triceps extensions (dumbell) 6 x 6-10

Good triceps exercises. Maybe switch up the one arm extensions with kickbacks so you work the medial head. You don't need that many sets though. Professional bodybuilders don't do that many. Cut your sets in half, 3 of each is plenty.

People should avoid doing chest and triceps on the same day. You can't work your triceps properly when they are tired from a chest workout. If you want to build triceps then don't treat them like a secondary muscle. Pro's can get away with it. Give your triceps 36 hours rest after a chest workout before working them. Same with back and biceps.

My favorite mass builders are close grip bench press, dips, and overhead dumbbell extensions. My best "shaper" exercises are pressdowns and skull crushers. Kickbacks and reverse grip pressdowns are a great way to hit the medial side. 9-12 sets is more than enough.
 ffryan
Msg: 5 (view)

Guys seem interested but dont call? confusing!
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:28:19 PM
Whenever I am interested in somebody, I call. I'd think a guy who doesn't isn't serious.
 ffryan
Msg: 15 (view)

Michael Phelps controversy...again
Posted: 8/2/2009 8:21:07 PM
A training partner of mine is a competitive swimmer and he explained these suits to me a while back (before the recent controversy). These suits are designed to make you more buoyant in the water, thus making it easier for you to swim faster. They make a huge difference in the water. "Steroids of swimming" is not far off.

At the top level it would only make sense to have everybody wear them or to ban them. At the lower levels I do think they should not be allowed. These suits cost about $400 and you can only wear them about 10-12 times so you'll either have to be rich or have good sponsors.

The suits aside, this has shown what Phelps and his camp is like in defeat. Phelps is acting like he has never worn this suit before.
 ffryan
Msg: 15 (view)

Advice??From both men and women
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:08:06 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss, I`m sure you worked very hard at that and it`s something to be proud of.

Just ignore guys who approach you like that. Life is too short to let even a few seconds get wasted by a few knuckleheads. I used to be a youth counselor and received questions like yours frtequently. My answer has always been to make the guy earn your trust. Any guy who is worth it will stick around because he wants to get to know the real you.

Good luck to you.
 ffryan
Msg: 25 (view)

UFC 101: Florian vs. Penn
Posted: 7/27/2009 8:03:40 PM
Florian has a chance because of his razor sharp elbows and possibly getting a win due to stoppage via a cut. Other than that, I`m not putting my rent money on Florian.
 ffryan

Professinals in the olympics
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:10:22 PM
That begs the question, is the Olympics for the best athletes that a country produces or is it for amateurs? Personally I think that professionals should be allowed to compete because the Olympics is supposed to be about the highest level of competiton. You don't get that by sending your second best athletes.
 ffryan

Pete Rose Possible Reinstatement To Baseball
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:08:07 PM
The Hall of Fame is diminished without the presence of a guy like Pete Rose. This is a place that recognized the best performers in the game and he is being kept out for something he did off the field. He screwed up and has been punished for 20 years. Pete Rose isn't Michael Vick or Chris Benoit. He deserves to be in the HoF because that is where the best players go. Nobody can ever deny what he did on the field and for that the HoF will never be complete without him.
 ffryan
Msg: 8 (view)

Do you like your girlfriend to be nurturing towards you?
Posted: 7/26/2009 6:42:01 PM
Nurtured, yes. Babied, no. Sometimes there can be a very fine line between the two. However, like many other men, I prefer feeling like I am the protector and provider in a relationship.

I've already got one mother and am pretty loyal to her, so I really don't want another acting like her. I stopped being babied when I was 25.
 ffryan
Msg: 33 (view)

Affliction vs UFC - an opinion piece
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:37:53 PM
Affliction will dissolve eventually because it has no feeder system. The UFC is the big show, everybody knows it. Affliction took a big shot yesterday when Barnett tested positive for steroids. Steroids brought Major League Baseball to its knees and it can do a lot worse to Affliction.

There will be a 140lb division when there is the market that will pay to watch them. 155 came back because of public demand and the willingness of the fans to pay to watch it.

TUF will be around for a while. Most UFC fans are not educated in MMA. They are casual fans who like to see action. Since they represent the largest profit, the UFC will cater to them. TUF is about to show its 10th season and I don't see any signs of it slowing down.
 ffryan
Msg: 54 (view)

Shaq to Clev...LeBron Cant claim He's the Greatest
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:40:21 PM
Michael Jordan lead the Bulls to 3 championships, then he retired. The Bulls fell apart without him. Jordan returned and lead the Bulls to 3 more championships. Jordan proved how important he was to that team and how great he really was. You cannot compare Lebron, who has yet to win one championship, to a guy like Jordan. Lebron is going to fall into the same trap that Kobe did. For years people said Kobe couldn't win a title without Shaq. Until this year Bryant was never able to step away from that. If Cleveland wins the title this will probably be applied to Lebron.

Lebron has to prove that he's not only the most dominant player in the league (I don't remember anybody ever arguing about who the best player was when Jordan was on the court), but he has to lead teams to a few championships. It's not about just points and statistics. It's about making clutch shots over and over again.

Realistically, Lebron will never own the title of "best ever" as long as people remember the name "Michael Jordan". Lebron has a lot of work to do before he's the unquestioned best in the game today, much less best ever.
 ffryan

Girls and the UFC
Posted: 7/22/2009 10:21:45 PM
I fought professionally for about three yeares. It's interesting to see the reactions of some women. Some women I found were drawn to fighters as some are drawn to cops or firefighters, it was more about what they did than who they were. A lot of women get turned off when they see how brutal the sport can be. I dated one gal who used to pretty much brag that she dated a fighter. She liked that her boyfriend was tough and competed in such a sport. When she actually saw me fight, she reversed herself very quickly and asked me to give up the sport. Because I cared about her, and saw that her motivation was concern for my safety, I stopped. I picked it back up again when we split. It was interesating to watch the change when the sport got close to home for her.

I view women who watch the UFC like I view women who watch hockey, football or basketball. It's not a turn-on or a turn-off. But it's nice to have something in common.
 ffryan
Msg: 209 (view)

Do Men Really Want Honesty?
Posted: 7/22/2009 6:07:15 PM
I think everybody wants honesty, but are they prepared for how real honesty can be. A great expression one of my drill instructors had, "You're going to get what you want, let's see if you want what you're going to get". You need to be proportionate with your honesty. You never want to hide anything, but you don't have to volunteer everything either, as that can scare people away.
 ffryan
Msg: 8 (view)

Crossfit anyone?
Posted: 7/22/2009 4:58:56 PM
::rolls eyes::

a regular trainer doesnt approve of crossfit...

go figure

I've been exercising for about 15 years, was a provincial caliber athlete in numerous sports, nearly made the Canadian Olympic wrestling team, have amateur boxing and professional MMA experience, and am a certified fitness trainer/certified strength and conditioning specialist/kettlebell instructor. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I have the credentials, education, and knowledge to question a fitness program like crossfit. If you want to dispute what I'm saying about it, I'm all ears. I love discussing fitness and the science surrounding it. I find it frustrating to get a good conversation because so many who are pro-crossfit don't want to have a discussion about the pro's and cons.
 ffryan
Msg: 304 (view)

UFC can not compare itself to boxing.
Posted: 7/22/2009 4:21:27 PM
The two have no business being compared. Professional boxing is about 100 years old, the UFC is about 15, with only about the last 9-10 being sanctioned as a professional sport. Boxing is established, the UFC is still making its mark.

I've been an amateur boxer and did about a year of professional MMA. Both are unique and require different skillsets. The training is different, the mindset is different, the conditioning is different, the style of competition is different. MMA athletes train in boxing geared towards MMA. You can't do into an MMA bout with traditional boxing skills, because you'll lose and lose fast. Something as simple as a bob and weave can get you knocked out with a kick very quickly. I like to call the training "boxing for MMA", "wrestling for MMA" and "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for MMA". MMA is comparable to the decathalon. People who do that even are very good at all 10 events, but will never be the best at any of them. Does that mean one is any better than the other? Of course not.

Boxing does appear to be much "cleaner" and "crisper". The reason for this is because boxers spend all their time training to punch. It's the same way with amateur wrestling matches being that way in their bouts. MMA athletes cannot dedicate that kind of time to boxing becaus ethey'll neglect the dozen other aspects of the sport. Boxers are masters of their trade, which is punching and that style of competition. MMA athletes have to be jacks of all trades (meaning master of none). MMA tends to draw world class wrestlers, and grappling guys. There are few K-1 caliber kickboxers and virtually no top level boxers. I'm expecting to see this trend change over the next few years as MMA grows and becomes a very profitable business.
 ffryan
Msg: 6 (view)

Floyd Mayweather takes a dumb cheapshot at UFC
Posted: 7/22/2009 4:06:07 PM
This isn't the first time Mayweather has trash talked MMA. I think it was 2007 he said any good boxer would easily become a champ in the UFC. When Dana White offered to let him fight Sean Sherk, Mayweather apologized and backpeddled quite a bit. He'll do another about-face if White offers to let Mayweather fight BJ Penn. A lot of boxers are quick to bash MMA but none of them want any part of it.
 ffryan
Msg: 7 (view)

Constructive Feedback
Posted: 7/20/2009 5:34:53 PM
2 people saying the same thing usually indicates something. Thanks for your input.
 ffryan

Constructive Feedback
Posted: 7/20/2009 2:53:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate your time.
 ffryan
Msg: 1 (view)

Constructive Feedback
Posted: 7/19/2009 5:24:55 PM
Just looking for some constructive feedback on my profile. Good, bad, ugly, good areas, places that need improvement, red lights, etc. I've never been good at trying to sell myself so I could use some objective criticism. Much appreciate in advance :)
 ffryan

What is the wierdest date you've ever had?
Posted: 7/19/2009 5:17:20 PM
Went on a date a few years ago with a very nice woman. We made a date and met in a public place. She decided to arrive with 3 of her friends, without telling me. She barely made eye contact with me and I ended up talking with her friends more than her. I tried to initiate conversation a few times but she didn't seem to want any part of it. When we were saying goodbye we hugged and she asked me to call her the next day. I was so taken back I didn't know what to say. Thinking, "you just spent 45 minutes refusing to engage in any type of conversation to the point where I had to make conversation with your friends instead... but you want me to call you???". I actually did call her the next day and just said that I didn't feel any chemistry and didn't think we would be anything more than friends. A really nice girl thqat I have nothing bad to say about.... but what a weird date. Not anything freaky, just weird.
 ffryan
Msg: 6 (view)

Crossfit anyone?
Posted: 7/19/2009 5:09:40 PM
I`m going to have to go against the grain of the posts so far. I`m not a fan of crossfit. I think it poses some real safety hazards and dangers for the people doing it. I`ve done sessions where I was asked to do 30-50 snatches and 30-50 deadlifts. When the instructor said this was the plan I actually asked, "are you insane"? These are potentially very dangerous exercises that require years of practice to perfect, and they are having people new to these exercises perform such high reps with considerable weight. They got sued by a guy a while back for $300,000, and he won because he proved the workout was dangerous and lead to permenant injury. I've been a personal trainer and strength & conditioning coach for a few years and I've not seen the science to backup much of what crossfit does. I don't know if there is or isn't, I've just never seen it.

I'm also not a big fan that there is a lack of training its instructors have. It takes a 2 days to be certified as a level 1 crossfit instructor, and 2 more to advance to level 2. It took me 4 months to become a certified personal trainer. From what I understand there are no exams or medical education necessary to become an instructor. I don't know what licencing body they go through. I hold certification through the ISSA, which has international recognition and substantial liability protection where people with doctorate degrees design the courses. As a personal trainer I don't think anybody should be teaching anything without basic fitness trainer certification.

I read an article by a guy I know who is a firefighter and certified fitness trainer in Calgary. He quotes, "crossfit states that their specialty is not specializing". While this sounds good on paper, if you're not specializing in anything you'll likely be elite at nothing. Typical crossfitters are strong, but not the strongest. Fast, but not the fastest, and so on. If you're not training for anything specific, crossfit is the way to go."
 ffryan
Msg: 11 (view)

Tom Watson at 59, can he pull off a British Open win?
Posted: 7/19/2009 4:33:52 PM
That was hard to watch. In the playoff I knew it was over when he hit his drive, on the 17th, in the deep rough. That stuff is unforgiving. Cink was awesome though and this was his tournament. Playing the way he did on the back 9 and in the playoff... just incredible.
 ffryan
Msg: 13 (view)

Broke up w/TRUE NARCISSIST - Do I tell his ex what he is?
Posted: 6/13/2009 1:34:02 PM
Ask yourself this question, "Would I want my ex (possibly angry with hostile feelings towards me) to be telling my current person of interest everything they dislike about me and trying to sabotage my relationship?". My guess is that you wouldn't want somebody doing that to you, regardless of what their motivation was.
 ffryan
Msg: 124 (view)

Do you hesitate to contact someone with zero roses left?
Posted: 5/17/2009 7:20:30 AM
No. Most people I assume have sent them because they were interested. If they were interested in two people, and those people just weren't interested or there wasn't a connection, etc.
 ffryan
Msg: 887 (view)

Expain the phrase My children are my top priority?
Posted: 4/14/2009 10:18:53 PM
My guess is that people include that statement in their profiles because they have encountered people who wanted to have priority over their children. It's a no brainer to most good parents but not so much to certain others. I don't have kids but would assume I'd always be #2 if I dated a woman who had a kid(s). It makes sense to me that it is that way.
 ffryan
Msg: 248 (view)

what is the strangest thing you have encountered on POF?
Posted: 3/30/2009 6:52:41 PM
Weirdest thing would have been where a gal added me to her favorites but didn't message me. It happened to be a busy week for me so it took me a few days to get the time to write an email. It was quickly "read/deleted" which kind of struck me as odd. I remained on her favorite list for another month. I don't know what possessed me, but I decided to write her again. I was taken to a screen that informed me that I'd been blocked by the user. I proceeded to remome myself from her favorite list as I didn't see the point.

I don't pretend to understand women at all, lol, but I never got this. Why add somebody to your favorite list, delete their emails and block them... but keep them on your list? It's not a big deal in any way, just struck me as odd.
 ffryan
Msg: 66 (view)

Why do women?
Posted: 2/20/2009 12:02:38 PM
Probably something more idealistic. A "perfect date" doesn't necessarily have to be practical. I mean we call things "perfect" because they don't get any better than that. My idea of a perfect weekend is fishing at the cottage up north with just the dog, my special somebody, where the closest neighbour is 50km away. I don't have a cottage, a dog or a special somebody... matter of fact I think my fishing rod is broken too! So my dream weekend isn't all that practical, but I still consider it to be "perfect" for me.
 ffryan
Msg: 304 (view)

Adults living at home with Mom and Dad
Posted: 1/21/2009 1:53:16 PM
It all depends on the situation. We don't live in an era where you can move out at 18 and get a career job, house, car and start your family right away and be financially ok. Obviously there are exceptions, but most of us can't do that. Many times, staying at home so you can save or go to school is the smart thing to do. I have a few friends who moved out young, and were eager to gain their independence. One guy busted my chops because I lived at home for a while to save for a home. He moved out at 18, has struggled to pay every bill since, has a mortage that prevents him from travelling or buying anything nice, but says he's independent. If that is independence, he can keep it.

I swalloed my pride for a few years and it's resulting in a lot of financial freedom right now!

Show ALL Forums