Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: What are the advantages in a 'shared' relationship?
 webweebil
Msg: 19 (view)

What are the advantages in a 'shared' relationship?
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:12:44 PM
Good luck with that. I know it wouldn't work for me.
 webweebil
Msg: 16 (view)

Romantic Comedies Ruin Your Love Life....
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:10:04 PM
I've had a few romances that came close.
 webweebil
Msg: 54 (view)

Would we have better relationships if looks REALLY didn't matter?
Posted: 12/24/2008 3:02:34 PM
Looks matter. They tell a lot about how you care for our health. I would make friends with those who don't attract me physically, but have great personalities, but men don't seem to gel with platonic friendships that much.
 webweebil
Msg: 37 (view)

Can you be too independent for a relationship?
Posted: 12/23/2008 3:07:00 PM
I just started to get back into looking for a partner in July. I am finding after almost three years of being by myself that I really like my life for the most part. What bugs me is now the fears of letting someone in who could bring along chaos and hurt is almost eclipsing any desire I have to share my life. Reading this forum doesn't help.
 webweebil

The Ex Who Never Goes Away
Posted: 12/23/2008 2:56:11 PM
Oh yes. I think they're like the tide. They just keep coming back in and they hope that if they keep it up, they'll wear you down. IMO, these guys long for something they can't have. Hot sex with no responsibilities and emotional security at the same time.
 webweebil
Msg: 6 (view)

Yoga, not the physical exercise, but the philosophy behind it
Posted: 12/23/2008 1:38:55 PM
Yoga is much more than philosophy (although that is quite helpful). It's about allowing yourself to experience a thing directly, from a pure state of consciousness (should you get really good at it.) No amount of philosophizing, yours or another's is going to supplant that.
 webweebil
Msg: 9 (view)

Just some confusion
Posted: 12/23/2008 1:28:10 PM
I was engaged to my ex within four months and we stayed together for 14 years. I just knew. I also knew when the marriage no longer served our individual paths towards fulfilling our potentials. Even though most people would consider mine an "unsuccessful" marriage, I think it was one of the best things I ever did. We healed each other in so many ways and learned so much together that I will always be grateful for having had that.

Who knows what the future will bring? I tend to leave a lot of things to the Universe since I've found, for me, that Life is what happens when I'm busy making other plans. Having a practical, methodical approach can work for money and career (two illusions wrought by the matrix that was built for a few elite families), but those types of structures are crumbling fast. If you think of relationships/marriage in the same way you think about work, then you tend to be attracted to those who think like you do.

I think the world is changing so rapidly that to break down paradigms, if only for the exercise and practice, is the most useful way to occupy our time right now. I want to Live with a capital "L" and that means trying to figure out where I came from to land on this strange planet and let Life give me the answers rather than rely on trends and forecasts and especially, the experiences of others. I don't think that's the stream one should be in right now. None of us know where we're going. Not even Alvin Toffler.
 webweebil
Msg: 2 (view)

Antikythera: A 2,000 Year Old Computer Comes Back to Life
Posted: 12/15/2008 12:10:12 PM
Agreed at its beauty and fine workmanship. There was a also a type of fuel mixture they used for setting boats on fire that has been lost to history. The concrete mixture that the Romans used is also lost, according to archaeological lore as well as the formula that the alchemists used for creating a proprietorial stained glass like that used at Chartres.

I love to see what little is found that is released widely of things of this nature from antiquity. It defies the common notion that people were barbarians at the time before Christianity.
 webweebil
Msg: 1 (view)

Antikythera: A 2,000 Year Old Computer Comes Back to Life
Posted: 12/15/2008 8:14:58 AM
"The mystery of how the Greeks had made a machine that appeared to be 1800 years ahead of its time and why that knowledge was seemingly lost is fascinating, but Marchant's story is really about the scientists and engineers who have fallen under the spell of the Antikythera mechanism over the last century. It is a gripping tale of scientific obsession, rivalry and skulduggery."

View the short video here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2008/dec/11/antikythera-first-computer.

Coincidentally it's a calendar, given that I am interested in why the ancients were so interested in keeping track of the planets. This one is an amazing kinetic model of the solar system with very sophisticated gears.
 webweebil
Msg: 4 (view)

Maya (the theory of illusion)
Posted: 12/15/2008 7:21:22 AM
Life does not have an "end game." We constantly push for an outcome or destination while the whole of the Universe is laid out for you to experience as a divine being. There is no death just as there is no birth. There is only eternity. If you can stop the cultural madness that constantly extolls the reality of the illusion of temporal experiences and future gratification, then dig down into yourself for your own life force energy and hang on to that, then the illusion is forced to re-form itself to serve you.
 webweebil
Msg: 3 (view)

Discovered: Cosmic Rays from a Mysterious, Nearby Object
Posted: 12/12/2008 8:02:59 PM
I never heard of a connection between the Mayans and planet x. There's some interesting things happening out in space. I wanna know if I can sell my cosmic rays back to the power company?
 webweebil

Discovered: Cosmic Rays from a Mysterious, Nearby Object
Posted: 12/11/2008 8:22:46 AM
Nov. 19, 2008: An international team of researchers has discovered a puzzling surplus of high-energy electrons bombarding Earth from space. The source of these cosmic rays is unknown, but it must be close to the solar system and it could be made of dark matter. Their results are being reported in the Nov. 20th issue of the journal Nature.

"This is a big discovery," says co-author John Wefel of Louisiana State University. "It's the first time we've seen a discrete source of accelerated cosmic rays standing out from the general galactic background."

Galactic cosmic rays are subatomic particles accelerated to almost light speed by distant supernova explosions and other violent events. They swarm through the Milky Way, forming a haze of high energy particles that enter the solar system from all directions. Cosmic rays consist mostly of protons and heavier atomic nuclei with a dash of electrons and photons spicing the mix.

To study the most powerful and interesting cosmic rays, Wefel and colleagues have spent the last eight years flying a series of balloons through the stratosphere over Antarctica. Each time the payload was a NASA-funded cosmic ray detector named ATIC, short for Advanced Thin Ionization Calorimeter. The team expected ATIC to tally the usual mix of particles, mainly protons and ions, but the calorimeter found something extra: an abundance of high-energy electrons.

Wefel likens it to driving down a freeway among family sedans, mini-vans and trucks—when suddenly a bunch of Lamborghinis bursts through the normal traffic. "You don't expect to see so many race cars on the road—or so many high-energy electrons in the mix of cosmic rays." During five weeks of ballooning in 2000 and 2003, ATIC counted 70 excess electrons in the energy range 300-800 GeV. ("Excess" means over and above the usual number expected from the galactic background.) Seventy electrons may not sound like a great number, but like seventy Lamborghinis on the freeway, it's a significant surplus.

rest of the article and images: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/19nov_cosmicrays.htm?list41072
 webweebil

Confirmed: Scientists Understand Where Mass Comes From
Posted: 11/29/2008 12:58:17 PM
11/21/08 Confirmed: Scientists Understand Where Mass Comes From

The standard model of physics got it right when it predicted where the mass of ordinary matter comes from, according to a massive new computational effort. Particle physics explains that the bulk of atoms is made up of protons and neutrons, which are themselves composed of smaller particles known as quarks, which in turn are bound by gluons. The odd thing is this: the mass of gluons is zero and the mass of quarks [accounts for] only five percent. Where, therefore, is the missing 95 percent? [AFP]
The answer, according to theory, is that the energy from the interactions between quarks and gluons accounts for the excess mass (because as Einstein’s famous E=mc² equation proved, energy and mass are equivalent). Gluons are the carriers of the strong nuclear force that binds three quarks together to form one proton or neutron; these gluons are constantly popping into existence and disappearing again. The energy of these vacuum fluctuations has to be included in the total mass of the proton and neutron [New Scientist]. The new study finally crunched the numbers on how much energy is created in these fluctuations and confirmed the theory, but it took a supercomputer over a year to do so.

(more… http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2008/11/21/confirmed-scientists-understand-where-mass-comes-from/#more-1253)
 webweebil
Msg: 11 (view)

Are We Passing through the Photon Belt?
Posted: 11/23/2008 8:03:56 AM
There are cycles within cycles. The ancients did indeed know more about these cycles and our personal and planetary relationship with time. It is for those "with ears to hear and eyes to see" to tune in to what they imparted to us. All of the planets in our solar system are heating up and the changes on Earth with respect to weather and seismic activity are increasing. The magnetic field of Earth is dropping, while time seems to be speeding up. The more we still ourselves and slow things down by simplifying our thoughts and activities, the more we can accomplish. Those who don't synchronize their energies with Earth will find greater chaos and confusion.

Eventually there will be a parting of the ways: the ones resonate with the changing frequencies will be separated from those who cling to lower frequencies. The time that has been prophesized by all the ancients is upon us. Those who cling to security outside of their own core will be unable to cope.

Very little time is left. Purification of body, mind and spirit is required. "Men shall wash their robes." This means our etheric bodies (energetic fields.)
 webweebil
Msg: 7 (view)

Posted: 11/22/2008 11:09:41 AM
It seems some of you are far more interested in exercising some kind of feigned intellectual superiority rather than responding to the post as well as some random demonstration of tedious irrelevant hairsplitting.

I am only interested in a reply from those who may know or have heard of this phenomena, real or supposed, not engaging in petty mental gymnastics with you. I realize that you live in your boxes. If you believe yourselves to be geniuses, what could I, a cyberspace stranger do to disabuse you of your delusions?

That will complete the session of all the attention you and your odd posturing will receive from me thank you kindly.

Have an awesome day- best of luck with your future endeavors :)
 webweebil

Posted: 11/20/2008 4:00:59 PM
Thanks all. If there is anything to 2012, these sorts of claims muddy the waters and take away from any real science there may be (such as the slowing of the Schumann Resonance.) I heard this guy mention it over and over but just didn't have the heart to challenge him on it and ruin his night.
 webweebil

Are We Passing through the "Photon Belt?"
Posted: 11/20/2008 11:00:54 AM
I attended a lecture on 2012 last night and heard (once again) that we have just entered a "photon belt" that we pass through every 26,000 years or so. I've heard this before and have heard it being debunked, but still am not quite certain of the science behind this (non?) phenomenon. Wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on the subject. I would like to believe it's true, but would rather have the real truth.
 webweebil
Msg: 5 (view)

Facebook / MySpace Affecting your employment
Posted: 11/14/2008 12:03:07 PM
I thought we WERE talking about bikini pics, not some other thing that is up in people heads...
 webweebil

Facebook / MySpace Affecting your employment
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:51:40 AM
I think we live in a highly intrusive society that is becoming more and more like a police state. It's an insidious remnant from our puritanical origins. You'd never see anything like that happening in Europe.
 webweebil
Msg: 116 (view)

Anger in a relationship, or in life in general...
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:45:02 AM
<---- runs and does yoga for a reason.
 webweebil

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:39:50 AM
Like I said... nothing will awaken a determined sleeper... except a big bolt of truth from Source itself. That is as it should be. Just think of what I write about as ripples that suggest something else while you float on the surface.
 webweebil
Msg: 15 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 11:13:05 AM
First: knowing is different from believing. Maybe one day, you'll understand that for yourself, not because I say so.

Second: Who says you abandon science? It has it's place. It's a tool and method, just like art, literature, sports... It all leads to the same place in its ultimate expression: Source. Many paths - same peak.
 webweebil
Msg: 13 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 10:32:50 AM
I LOVE this one:

Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." (14)

And I might add, the mystics who have been sitting there for millennia.
 webweebil
Msg: 41 (view)

Soulmates...
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:58:13 AM
OT (and sorry) Well, I'm sure we'd have a lot to talk about! Funny thing about Jerome... Most of the whole town, including the mayor, was arrested for growing weed. LOL. Fun place, especially in Hallowe'en.
 webweebil
Msg: 12 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:38:51 AM
I won't retaliate to your insults, intoart. I realized a while ago does nothing but lower my frequencies down to your level. A totally useless activity.

Much light and love to you. May you awaken when Destiny deems it necessary.
 webweebil
Msg: 38 (view)

Soulmates...
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:32:46 AM
It's all for Source experiencing Itself. There will always be novel explorations for the pure ecstasy of experience. This is apart from ego (the small "I" rather than the "I AM".) I haven't traversed the realms you have but I can relate to how you've been to all the heavens and sat with all the gods and found them wanting. I can only say that I've finally stopped trying to figure out the mystery, rather have been developing a relationship with it. I won't reduce this down to one thing or another, for it can all be minimized or maximized depending upon the audience. I have been asked to return and made the decision to remain. I consciously wish to step into the next level along with others into the lighter densities and next dimension of awareness, for no other reason than to experience it.

Namaste and much joy and light to your path.
 webweebil
Msg: 11 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:21:26 AM
So, I will say this. I believe everyone has the capacity to harness and emit energies that can collapse fields. Some rare individuals do it with conscious intent and skill. Others are completely oblivious that they are doing it, but do it nonetheless. I believe that this frequency can also be called "love" and it emanates from the heart. I believe that extremely tuned in, pure masters can manifest matter and create energy portals connected to "the field." This energy has not been understood enough to be measured by our instruments. It's subtle energy. I have witnessed too many so called "miracles" to think this as separate from "reality." It is just a reality that is yet to be understood by our current culture. I can't post "proof" because the people who do this have nothing to "prove" outside of being of Service when they are moved to do so, for the highest order.

This I have seen and done. You can too, but you must walk the path, not just think the thoughts. "Observer" is a loosely defined term for consciousnesses perceiving differently at different levels. One conscious observer is not equal to another. One can be experiencing and seeing miracles all day long and be oblivious to them because they are asleep, while another witnesses miracle after miracle.

There are recorded miracles, such as levitation and telekinesis, but nothing will convince the sleeper who refuses to awaken.
 webweebil
Msg: 10 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 9:00:34 AM
(takes a deep breath) and:

"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects."

- Albert Einstein

"The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident, is zero."

- Ilya Prigogine (Chemist-Physicist)
Recipient of two Nobel Prizes in chemistry
I. Prigogine, N. Gregair, A. Babbyabtz, Physics Today 25, pp. 23-28

"The really amazing thing is not that life on Earth is balanced on a knife-edge, but that the entire universe is balanced on a knife-edge, and would be total chaos if any of the natural 'constants' were off even slightly. You see," Davies adds, "even if you dismiss man as a chance happening, the fact remains that the universe seems unreasonably suited to the existence of life -- almost contrived -- you might say a 'put-up job'."

- Dr. Paul Davies
(noted author and Professor of Theoretical Physics at Adelaide University)

"...how surprising it is that the laws of nature and the initial conditions of the universe should allow for the existence of beings who could observe it. Life as we know it would be impossible if any one of several physical quantities had slightly different values."

- Professor Steven Weinberg
(Nobel Laureate in High Energy Physics [a field of science that deals with the very early universe], writing in the journal "Scientific American".)

"This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being."

- Isaac Newton
("General Scholium," in Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, Isaac Newton. 1687)

16O has exactly the right nuclear energy level either to prevent all the carbon from turning into oxygen or to facilitate sufficient production of 16O for life. Fred Hoyle, who discovered these coincidences in 1953, concluded that "a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology."

- Hoyle, Fred. "The Universe: Past and Present Reflections," in Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics, 20. (1982), p.16
(for more of these coincidences click here)

"If you equate the probability of the birth of a bacteria cell to chance assembly of its atoms, eternity will not suffice to produce one... Faced with the enormous sum of lucky draws behind the success of the evolutionary game, one may legitimately wonder to what extent this success is actually written into the fabric of the universe."

- Christian de Duve. "A Guided Tour of the Living Cell" (Nobel laureate and organic chemist)

Probably the leading paleontologist alive today, Simon Conway Morris, the scientist who discovered the significance of the Cambrian explosion of animal life, writes in his seminal book, Life's Solutions, that he is "convinced" that nature's success in the lottery of life has "metaphysical implications."

"I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing."

- Alan Sandage (winner of the Crawford prize in astronomy)
Willford, J.N. March 12, 1991. Sizing up the Cosmos: An Astronomers Quest. New York Times, p. B9.

"As we look out into the universe and identify the many accidents of physics and astronomy that have worked together to our benefit, it almost seems as if the universe must in some sense have known that we were coming."

- Professor Freeman J. of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton

"...The capacity of DNA to store information vastly exceeds that of any other known system: it is so efficient that all the information needed to specify an organism as complex as man weighs less than a few thousand millionths of a gram. The information necessary to specify the design of all the species of organisms which have ever existed on the planet...could be held in a teaspoon and there would still be room left for all the information in every book ever written..."

- Dr. Michael Denton (Australian microbiologist)

"Amazing fine tuning occurs in the laws that make this [complexity] possible. Realization of the complexity of what is accomplished makes it very difficult not to use the word 'miraculous' without taking a stand as to the ontological status of the word."

- George Ellis (British astrophysicist)
Ellis, G.F.R. 1993. The Anthropic Principle: Laws and Environments. The Anthropic Principle, F. Bertola and U.Curi, ed. New York, Cambridge University Press, p. 30

"We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in."

- John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA)
Heeren, F. 1995. Show Me God. Wheeling, IL, Searchlight Publications, p. 200.

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan."

- Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics)
Margenau, H and R.A. Varghese, ed. 1992. Cosmos, Bios, and Theos. La Salle, IL, Open Court, p. 83.

"It is, for example, impossible for evolution to account for the fact than one single cell can carry more data than all the volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica put together."

"It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design."

- Anthony Flew
Professor of Philosophy, former atheist, author, and debater

"It has occurred to me lately -- I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities -- that both questions [the origin of consciousness in humans and of life from non-living matter] might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality -- that stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create: science-, art-, and technology-making animals. In them the universe begins to know itself."

- George Wald, (Noble laureate and professor of biology at Harvard University)
wrote this in an article entitled "Life and Mind in the Universe" which appeared in the peer-reviewed journal the
International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology, symposium 11 (1984): 1-15.

"There is a wide measure of agreement which, on the physical side of science approaches almost unanimity, that the stream of knowledge is heading towards a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine. Mind no longer appears as an accidental intruder into the realm of matter. We are beginning to suspect that we ought rather to hail mind as the creator and governor of the realm of matter -- not of course our individual minds, but the mind in which the atoms out of which our individual minds have grown, exist as thoughts."

- Sir James Jeans
knighted mathematician, physicist and astronomer who helped develop our understanding of the evolution of stars, wrote this in his book The Mysterious Universe (Cambridge, 1931).

As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency—or, rather, Agency—must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?

- George Greenstein (American astronomer)
Greenstein, George. The Symbiotic, Universe: Life and Mind in the Cosmos. (New York: William Morrow, (1988), pp. 26-27

"What turns a mere piece of matter from being mere matter into an animated being? What gives certain special physical patterns in the universe the mysterious privilege of feeling sensations and having experiences?"

- D.R. Hofstadter

"When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics."

- Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics)
Tipler, F.J. 1994. The Physics Of Immortality. New York, Doubleday, Preface.

"When I went to the moon I was a pragmatic test pilot. But when I saw the planet Earth floating in the vastness of space the presence of divinity became almost palpable and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident."

- Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14 Astronaut)

"A life-giving factor lies at the centre of the whole machinery and design of the world."

- John Wheeler (American physicist)
Wheeler, John A. "Foreword," in The Anthropic Cosmological Principle by John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler. (Oxford, U. K.: Clarendon Press, 1986), p. vii.

"Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing and delicately balanced to provide exactly the conditions required to support life. In the absence of an absurdly-improbable accident, the observations of modern science seem to suggest an underlying, one might say, supernatural plan."

- Nobel Laureate Arno Penzias, co-discoverer of the radiation afterglow
(Quoted in Walter Bradley, "The 'Just-so' Universe: The Fine-Tuning of Constants and Conditions in the Cosmos," in William Dembski and James Kushiner, eds., Signs of Intelligence. 168)

"We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. We give little thought to the machinery that generates the sunlight that makes life possible, to the gravity that glues us to an Earth that would otherwise send us spinning off into space, or to the atoms of which we are made and on whose stability we fundamentally depend. Except for children (who don't know enough not to ask the important questions), few of us spend much time wondering why nature is the way it is; where the cosmos came from, or whether it was always here; if time will one day flow backward and effects precede causes; or whether there are ultimate limits to what humans can know."

- Carl Sagan
(From an introduction to "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking)

"As long as you are occupied with the mathematical sciences and the technique of logic, you belong to those who walk around the palace in search of the gate... When you complete your study of the natural sciences and get a grasp of the metaphysics, you enter into the inner courtyard and are in the same house as [G-d the King]."

- Moses Maimonides

"This is an exceedingly strange development, unexpected by all but the theologians. They have always accepted the word of the Bible: In the beginning God created heaven and earth... [But] for the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; [and] as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

- Robert Jastrow
(God and the Astronomers [New York: W.W. Norton and Co., 1978], 116. Professor Jastrow was the founder of NASA’s Goddard Institute, now director of the Mount Wilson Institute and its observatory.)

"As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?"

- George Greenstein (astronomer)
Greenstein, G. 1988. The Symbiotic Universe. New York: William Morrow, p.27.

"I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning; consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption ... For myself, as no doubt, for most of my contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation. The liberation we desired was simultaneous liberation from a certain political and economic system, and liberation from a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom."

(REPORT, June 1966. "Confession of Professed Atheist," A. Huxley
 webweebil

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/14/2008 8:54:00 AM
I find it amusing at how presumptuous it is that science holds all the answers over what your own Higher Self, intuition and experiences tell you.

Don't take my word for it. Take the word of renown scientists who have transcended their own hubris:

Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): "A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question." (2)

George Ellis (British astrophysicist): "Amazing fine tuning occurs in the laws that make this [complexity] possible. Realization of the complexity of what is accomplished makes it very difficult not to use the word 'miraculous' without taking a stand as to the ontological status of the word." (3)

Paul Davies (British astrophysicist): "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming". (4)

Paul Davies: "The laws [of physics] ... seem to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design... The universe must have a purpose". (5)

Alan Sandage (winner of the Crawford prize in astronomy): "I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing." (6)

John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in." (7)

George Greenstein (astronomer): "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" (8)

Arthur Eddington (astrophysicist): "The idea of a universal mind or Logos would be, I think, a fairly plausible inference from the present state of scientific theory." (9)

Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics): "Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." (10)

Roger Penrose (mathematician and author): "I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." (11)

Tony Rothman (physicist): "When confronted with the order and beauty of the universe and the strange coincidences of nature, it's very tempting to take the leap of faith from science into religion. I am sure many physicists want to. I only wish they would admit it." (12)

Vera Kistiakowsky (MIT physicist): "The exquisite order displayed by our scientific understanding of the physical world calls for the divine." (13)

Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." (14)

Stephen Hawking (British astrophysicist): "Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." (15)

Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics): "When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." (16) Note: Tipler since has actually converted to Christianity, hence his latest book, The Physics Of Christianity.

Alexander Polyakov (Soviet mathematician): "We know that nature is described by the best of all possible mathematics because God created it."(17)

Ed Harrison (cosmologist): "Here is the cosmological proof of the existence of God – the design argument of Paley – updated and refurbished. The fine tuning of the universe provides prima facie evidence of deistic design. Take your choice: blind chance that requires multitudes of universes or design that requires only one.... Many scientists, when they admit their views, incline toward the teleological or design argument." (18)

Edward Milne (British cosmologist): "As to the cause of the Universe, in context of expansion, that is left for the reader to insert, but our picture is incomplete without Him [God]." (19)

Barry Parker (cosmologist): "Who created these laws? There is no question but that a God will always be needed." (20)

Drs. Zehavi, and Dekel (cosmologists): "This type of universe, however, seems to require a degree of fine tuning of the initial conditions that is in apparent conflict with 'common wisdom'." (21)

Arthur L. Schawlow (Professor of Physics at Stanford University, 1981 Nobel Prize in physics): "It seems to me that when confronted with the marvels of life and the universe, one must ask why and not just how. The only possible answers are religious. . . . I find a need for God in the universe and in my own life." (22)

Henry "Fritz" Schaefer (Graham Perdue Professor of Chemistry and director of the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry at the University of Georgia): "The significance and joy in my science comes in those occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, 'So that's how God did it.' My goal is to understand a little corner of God's plan." (23)

Wernher von Braun (Pioneer rocket engineer) "I find it as difficult to understand a scientist who does not acknowledge the presence of a superior rationality behind the existence of the universe as it is to comprehend a theologian who would deny the advances of science." (24)

Carl Woese (microbiologist from the University of Illinois) "Life in Universe - rare or unique? I walk both sides of that street. One day I can say that given the 100 billion stars in our galaxy and the 100 billion or more galaxies, there have to be some planets that formed and evolved in ways very, very like the Earth has, and so would contain microbial life at least. There are other days when I say that the anthropic principal, which makes this universe a special one out of an uncountably large number of universes, may not apply only to that aspect of nature we define in the realm of physics, but may extend to chemistry and biology. In that case life on Earth could be entirely unique." (25)

Antony Flew (Professor of Philosophy, former atheist, author, and debater) "It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design." (26)

Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics): "From the perspective of the latest physical theories, Christianity is not a mere religion, but an experimentally testable science." (27)
 webweebil
Msg: 36 (view)

Soulmates...
Posted: 11/14/2008 8:18:38 AM
There are other densities to pass through before we merge back into complete Oneness (although it's always a choice - free will is Universal.) The next level would be conscious creators, godmen/women who are still separate, but less dense, having the capability to teleport, manifest at will, telepathically relate to one another and other abilities. The ascended masters who have transcended the dense 3-d plane are of that kind. The next level of evolution for mankind will be this plane and it will be the evolutionary step for the whole of Earth and all the inhabitants that are ready, according to ancient prophecies.
 webweebil
Msg: 21 (view)

He used to be a drug dealer...
Posted: 11/14/2008 8:09:49 AM
Lol, tbuddha, I'm an early Indigo, born before my time. Just remember it's ppl like me who paved the way for you enlightened upstarts! Hehe. We had to deal with a whole culture of Ferrigious's (or whatever the name of that poster up there who need to smoke a little weed and get more fiber in their diet is). I don't care about the "law" any further than having a healthy regard for my freedom. It doesn't alter my perceptions of "right and wrong" and the police and nannies and priests don't occupy space in my head.
 webweebil
Msg: 34 (view)

Soulmates...
Posted: 11/14/2008 8:01:19 AM
I have met some of my very close soulmates. It always begins with sensing a frequency (energy) around my solar plexus and heart. They had different personalities, looks and lifestyles, but similar soulprints. It's like meeting a member of your true family. When I had a period of high energy love within myself, I ran into two of them back-to-back. Although neither became romantic relationships, there was something there. It goes beyond words.

I believe that we have soul families that are like ripples. Some are very close and some are further away, but we are all soul mates in one way or another. In my case my closest soul mates have always been males (who are attractive) but not any family members. I don't know if that exists, but it may just be because I haven't personally experienced it. I also believe that when we have reached a certain level of evolution and are ready, there is a twin soul - your true other half - expressed in the opposite gender energy on 3-d. This person is your true compliment and, unlike soulmates, have no "deal-breakers" with regard to their outlook and habits. They may be in situational deal-breakers, like in a marriage, however. These people don't have negative karma from past lives that the both of you have to work out. A lot of times, soul mates have "stuff" you have to work out together.

The twin comes when both are karmically ready and on their last incarnation here, because it is a heavenly thing, not an earthly thing. It's a return to Source and a gift that both need to recognize because the energy that emanates from such a coupling is perfect Love. That kind of Love uplifts the whole earth grid and puts the Isis/Osiris, Adam/Eve, Jesus/Mary archetypal male/female god/goddess energy pattern in place for Universal healing, not just individual. So both people have to be fully self-realized for this to take place as it carries responsibilities back to the Source. It is divine, pure love.
 webweebil
Msg: 227 (view)

Looking at younger women / girls.
Posted: 11/13/2008 12:41:59 PM
I'm an artist. I can tell you that I'm way more visible than almost any guy I've ever known. Blanket generalizations are really annoying. Plus, I don't even know how sound the science is behind that. If that were the case, why is it color-blindedness is limited, genetically, to males?
 webweebil
Msg: 6 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/13/2008 12:25:30 PM
Intoart, how can you say that with absolute conviction? Because you have never observed it personally, do you claim that it doesn't exist for anyone else? How do you know that your world isn't shaped exactly by how you perceive it? Those that have experienced spontaneous healing and other such "miracles" have had personal encounters with the macroscopic. The only difference being that they are personally observed and cannot be measured by objective instruments and studies due to their failure to conform to repetition. Exactly where does one draw the line between the subatomic level to the visible? Exactly where is that firewall that exists between what underlies the way energy seems to behave at the quanta and how it behaves at the atomic? Is it simply because our consciousness is limited to what the collective culture deems to be possible that inhibits it from reaching out into more physical realms? Or is it because we are so subjectively experiencing reality as we know it that we are in fact living out a certain reality out of multiple realities in time/space that only appears to conform with this assumption? It seems to me that you are comfortable with all the judgments you've made and feel that you can dictate them as being the defacto truth for all. Isn't that being non-scientific? To say that there is only ONE reality negates the whole multiverse theory as well as what quantum theory is all about.
 webweebil
Msg: 29 (view)

Ever had a relationship with someone you were not attracted to?
Posted: 11/13/2008 12:13:36 PM
I've always had an attraction to someone I've had a relationship with, but they were all different sorts of attractions. For the first time in my life I have the opportunity to be in a relationship with someone I have an attraction to at all levels, which scares me to death. I've done some things to sabotage that, but thankfully the relationship has been rescued. I think the most challenging thing is not if you find someone you are not completely attracted to but finding someone you are.
 webweebil
Msg: 5 (view)

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/13/2008 10:43:19 AM
To bring attention back to the subject matter at hand. None of us are entirely sure of how much the power of our mind extends itself. Observers collapsing fields could imply that we are all makers of our realities that are somehow connected to each other. The double-slit experiment has implications that extend beyond Newtonian "physical objectivity." If we are to have an open discussion about this, then it opens the door to more mystical perceptions being "valid." At that point, we have to stick with messages, not messengers. To expect a mythical, perfect being to hold an absolute truth about the matter is childish. A real discussion about the implications of the double-slit experiment requires suspension of this practice and an acceptance of all relevant observations, personal and third-party, to be considered.
 webweebil

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/13/2008 10:35:52 AM
You must be daft. The thread was already getting derailed by the argument posed about the veracity of "What the Bleep" merely because a graphic was used from the movie. The thread was already discussing the tactic of challenging ideas by focusing on the messenger. I was pointing that out further. Yours and others' attacks on my intentions are more of the same. You're derailing right now with your last post. It could go on and on. I'd like to get over these roundabouts and move in a straight line. I'm an INTP, so I will always want to pursue truth and set judgement aside. It's my nature.
 webweebil

Double Slit Experiment
Posted: 11/13/2008 9:50:42 AM
Here we go again with another post derailing... Just like with the mention of Dan Winter in the proton thread. It seems to be a favorite tactic amongst the so called "rational" on this sector of the forum to shoot the messenger rather than focus on the message. Never have I run across so many petty, fear-saturated, sanctimonious little dweebs in my travels across fora land.

Next time someone mentions the theory of relativity or Einstein, I will make it a point to mention the raging debate of his validity (which casts aspersions on "his" theories), how 'bout that? http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/einstein.htm. Before you shoot THAT messenger, I just chose the first link out of dozens that popped up on Google.

Personally, I think copyrights and ownership of "intellectual property" a bane to our continuing enlightenment. At a higher level, no one "owns" the truth. It's an exercise of the ego and the need to protect something from being "taken," further made "real" by our capitalistic infrastructure that causes the separation of information and the stifling of synthesis within larger information contexts. At the end of the day, we play our parts in this stage, channeling information from the akashic records, where all information is existant. Our ego wants to believe we have something "special" and owned.

Who cares if it's from "What the Bleep?," a scholarly publication or the last issue of Highlights magazine? The information is the issue. Not only that, but until there's a final jury and trial for all these "devils" of different perceptions, you don't really have a leg to stand on.
 webweebil
Msg: 100 (view)

The Ripple Effect
Posted: 11/12/2008 2:57:17 PM
The ancients used mandalas to describe our energies interacting with each other. Some philosophers and sages have challenged people to examine "their" thoughts. Some argue that most of the thoughts we hold are not even ours. To understand what our effect upon the world is, one would have to understand their true nature. What if all of the patterns of this holographic Universe are already in place - some Grand Design held in the eye of Brahma? Our individual, separate selves as actors on a stage are all illusion and our actions all pre-determined, or as one Terrance McKenna said, mirrors catching the reflections of the great disco ball that shoots off glints of light that are emanating from the great Escaton at the end of Time?
 webweebil
Msg: 224 (view)

Posted: 11/12/2008 2:27:35 PM
I look at all sorts of beautiful things. Some people are like works of art - they are a thing to behold. Men and women, if they are striking and beautiful (or striking and ugly), capture my attention. If a man is beautiful, there mayhaps be a bit more sparkle in my eye...
 webweebil

He used to be a drug dealer...
Posted: 11/12/2008 10:22:26 AM
My first boyfriend sold cocaine, but that was back in the 70's when it was confined to a circle of friends. He was doing it for some extra cash. Later, he went to the University of Virginia and became a criminal defense lawyer. He was not sleezy or a liar by any means. I don't like cocaine or any chemically-altered substance, because its toxic, but no more toxic than the pharmaceuticals that are dispensed by petrochemical companies. Marijuana, I consider a gift from God. I think they should legalize "drugs" for people over the age of 21. I've looked into CIA and their drug running ops and Mena, Arkansas and the Afghani poppy fields. The reason why there's a war on drugs is because its big money for the highest criminals who run this country. Also, who needs "thought nannies?" Alcohol, which causes far more damage that marijuana could ever do, is legal, but causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome in babies, something that affects the human for their entire lives. Marijuana heals.
 webweebil
Msg: 217 (view)

Posted: 11/11/2008 5:20:16 PM
FWIW, they use saltpeter in the military to lower their troops' sex drive. Sex is one of the most sublime experiences one can have on this mortal coil. There's the mystical tradition of tantra that uses sex as a channel towards divine enlightenment even (although I'm not well-studied in it.)
 webweebil
Msg: 12 (view)

Dredging up old hurts during arguments
Posted: 11/11/2008 5:07:35 PM
Agreed about the Ph.D. "experts." Information that comes from the guy on the street or whoever is still information. It is my God-given ability to discern its usefulness. It will be a cold day in hell when I transfer my critical thinking abilities over to any outside authority.
 webweebil
Msg: 28 (view)

Could you get past this.....
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:37:52 PM
Well, I wish I had a true friend. I lived overseas growing up and moved to different places in the past few years. My mother passed away and I divorced. So I would love to have one real friend that I could talk to and do things with. I have some true friends, but they are scattered and not near. If she was having a meltdown and took it out on you, maybe you shouldn't be so hasty to end it. If this was a one-time deal that was due to outside circumstances, I'd give it some time to heal over. If she has really crossed the point of no return, then I'm sorry about that. Good friends are few and far between. Only you know the whole history and this person well enough to make that decision for yourself. Good luck.
 webweebil

Dredging up old hurts during arguments
Posted: 11/11/2008 4:10:38 PM
I like to stick with issues. I like to resolve issues and move on. I have a real problem staying in any relationship where someone's need to "win" takes eclipses the issue at hand and old transgressions are brought up. It makes me want to bolt more than anything, just to get away from the craziness. My first husband did that. I struggled and twisted my mind around to see his "logic," but realized it had no logic other than to throw me off the topic. He was an alcoholic, so that could explain it. The only people I can remotely abide nowadays are those who are consciously intending to improve themselves and grow, which is what my goal is.

If someone had a REAL problem and brought it up, even if it were years later, for resolution, I would do my best to see the problem put to rest. I would gladly be of service in any effort to move ahead with greater clarity about myself and the other person. I am not perfect, but I consciously strive to be free of toxic thinking and behaviors. Even if it's not flattering to hear, if someone has a problem with something I did, I am able to listen and think about the merits of what they have to say. If they have another agenda (i.e., one-upsmanship, jealousy, projection), I can pick it up very easily (always could read intent - it's a gift) and will point that out to them if I'm so inclined, or just move on.
 webweebil
Msg: 32 (view)

Warning signs:Physical abuse in a relationship rarely starts out as severe violence.
Posted: 11/11/2008 1:37:36 PM
^^^^ agreed. The early warning system with me is when I feel a like someone ran me through with a sword. I can feel it in my energy centers. It's really amazing what your body will tell you sometimes when your mind doesn't register it. I can hear "dumb ass" said and it won't be hurtful (cause I do a little of that when the person and I both know very well that he is intelligent) but when it's said with an intention of hurt, I can literally feel it. I had that happen with someone and found myself doing it back. He said he felt it, like cuts. This was back when I was going through some big transitions. He was a great teacher and my perfect mirror. We didn't have the maturity to transcend our issues at the time, but I hope he came away from our knowing each other with as much as I did.
 webweebil

If Relationship is a Mirror of the Self what did your last relationship tell you about yourself?
Posted: 11/11/2008 1:15:23 PM
I should live closer than 2,000 miles to myself the next time.
 webweebil
Msg: 14 (view)

Could you get past this.....
Posted: 11/11/2008 12:30:52 PM
Just playing Devil's Advocate here. Maybe the reason why she was your bestest friend was because she was meek and non-confrontational with you. If you need that in a person to be your close friend, then you are part of the equation. Some people cannot stand to have things pointed out to them that are unflattering and they find "patsies" to bolster their egos. I'm not saying you do that, but it's something to consider if it rings any bells.
 webweebil
Msg: 33 (view)

Having time away from your partner
Posted: 11/11/2008 12:15:08 PM
^^^^ so far, I don't think this repeated advice has registered on the OP, given his responses.
 webweebil
Msg: 76 (view)

Looks will fade, then what?
Posted: 11/11/2008 12:12:46 PM
Right on. I run, but recently started doing kundalini yoga and last night we practiced breathing through pain while in different poses (asanas), like the "plank" pose. Last week, I couldn't hold it. My mind was telling me my arms were weak, etc. This week, I let those thoughts pass and stepped outside myself as an observer and held the pose for the entire duration. I know it wasn't that I suddenly developed the muscle strength in a week. The difference was the mind.

Thank you for sharing your awesome experience. It is an inspiration.

Show ALL Forums