Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road
Posted: 12/15/2008 10:28:09 AM
Julius Caesar: Et tu, pullus?
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 19 (view)

Zombies ...what would you do?????
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:42:44 AM
SALT!!!
If a zombie eats salt, it will return to it's grave! That's your only hope of survival!
Go to your local store and buy them out.
You'll be safe,
untill the wombats come.....
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 4 (view)

the lost art of guitar tapping
Posted: 9/29/2007 7:30:48 AM
Also pickless, but not really tappers: Lindsy Buckham, & Mark Knoffeler.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 12 (view)

Jethro Tull
Posted: 9/10/2007 6:54:58 AM
Jethro Tull are a great band. "Stand Up" is my favorite album, but "Witch's Promise" is an amazing song.
The thing with Ian Anderson, that most people don't get, is that the delivery is as important as the melody. The sneers, laughs, and grunts are part of the lyric.
Modern admirers: Eddie Vedder- "Clearly I remember, picking on the boy..." Very Anderson-like melody and lyric.
If any of you don't already have it, the "25" box set is great. The set is worth it's entire price for the live in NYC in '71 disc.
Great thread
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 8 (view)

How did Bands come by there names!!
Posted: 9/4/2007 9:43:10 AM
Collective Soul: The name is a line in Ayn Rand's masterpiece- "The Fountainhead".
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 10 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/28/2007 4:50:54 AM
If I've learned anything from my years in hi-fi, it's the importance of the source. I have an Arcam player that I really like. And my Rega turntable isn't going anywhere.
Another reason for the great sound from my heaphones and amp is the signal path: Cd player- good cables-headphone amp- headphones. Short and simple. Take all that other stuff out of the path (preamp, reciever, etc.) and the purer sound results in better fidelity. Your 5.1 amp is great for movies, but that's alot of extra stuff in the way for music reproduction on headphones.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 9 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/27/2007 5:00:44 AM
measurments don't mean good sound. Stereophile posts testing alongside every review. The person reviewing the equipment doesn't see them untill after they submit their paper to the editor. There has been plenty of awfull measuring equipment that sounds amazing. Dither in cd players is added distortion to warm the sound.

As well, I've refrained from the namecalling, downtalking, kinda stuff you've been saying here. If you are an audiophile as well- It's snobby, know-it-all attitudes like yours that are giving a fun hobby a bad name with outsiders. See many young people at your local hi-hi shop? People like you scare them off.
Let's stick to the topic, and save the name calling for the schoolyard.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 7 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:46:27 PM
Pretty sad, that wasn't even my post. maybe you should read more carefully before you start being nasty. I have no experience w/ KOSS cans, and therefore have no comment on them.
I, like anyone else here, have a right to discuss whatever I'd like within the rules of the forums. Your preferences are yours, mine are mine. Let's be adults.

ATLAS74: Check out Headroom amps, they have a crossfeed circuit. I have one and like it alot. headphone.com . Or if you know your way around an iron, you can build one: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/index2.htm (I love my Senn's too,-580's)
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 6 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:09:48 PM
Wow, what did I say to warrant an attack like that?

I own several top-shelf tube and solid state amps and enjoy both. Yes tubes have far more distortion, but the sound is more life-like. SS amps step through dynamics and control flow like machines. The levels can only go: 1, 2,5, 7, etc; there's not a 3 & 1/3 like tubes, and real music have. A better more expensive SS amp just has more steps.

This is long, tired, old argument. If digital and SS are so great, why can't they sound like a tube amp? All this modeling stuff sounds like crap. Musicans and audiophiles hold onto tube designs because nothing else sounds like that. And because we have learned to hear the difference.

Ask LATE, or any of the other musicans on here. Tubes are not voodoo.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 5 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/25/2007 5:14:56 AM
UPDATE: Finally replaced the tubes in my headphone amp with better quality ones. Wow. Much better.

HEADPHONES + TUBE AMP = SONIC BLISS
 STRANGE DAYS

Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:54:22 AM
I love "Nebraska", and "Darkness On the Edge of Town", don't really like his 80's stuff too much. The one thing Bruce shall be remembered by, if nothing else: "The Rising". A great album, and one of the top post -9/11 albums. It really sums of the hopes and fears of America at the time. Like Green Day's "American Idiot", this is music that records a moment in time, musicly, socially, and politically.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 23 (view)

For the Drummers, Who makes the best drumkits
Posted: 8/18/2007 5:25:33 AM
I've only just begun to learn drums, but I've been playing guitar for close to twenty years. For my tastes, I really like the smaller Gretch maple kits. Bigger than a jazz kit but not as big as standard rock kits today. As the music gets heavier, the drums get bigger. I feel most big rock kits are too thumpy.
I'm not an expert, but opinons are like....
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 16 (view)

What does ELVIS mean to you?
Posted: 8/9/2007 9:17:07 AM
I have huge respect for the King. Elvis had a voice, and a talent that is seldom matched. Scotty Moore is also very important in the history of rock and roll guitar. He had some real tasty parts.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 24 (view)

Genesis self titled 1983 album...
Posted: 8/8/2007 7:43:58 AM
I think we need to stop comparing apples to oranges here... Bothe are great bands, I prefer Peter myself. Phil is a talented guy. Remember it was Phil choosen to fill the huge shoes of the mighty John Bonham at the first live aid. He thundered.
 STRANGE DAYS

Artist dating artist experiences
Posted: 8/7/2007 8:39:34 AM
I'm a musical person. Alot of peole don't understand when I say: "That's out of tune" about a recording. I can't tell you how many times I've been laughed at when I say that "I hear colours". Some people try to understand, some don't believe that my head is tuned differently then their's ...
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 1 (view)

Headphones
Posted: 8/7/2007 6:53:11 AM
Hi, my name is ____ and I'm a cans-o-holic. I love the smoothness and detail of headphones. I think I could live without speakers. Lp's on cans is magic. My tube headphone amp and quality cans with even a cheap source is very enjoyable.
Anyone else love headphones? It's the system of choice with me. You can't beat the preformance/cost ratio.
 STRANGE DAYS

Mick Abrahams...
Posted: 8/4/2007 8:47:43 AM
Between Mick and Martin, there was Tony. Tony Iommi- Yes THAT Tony Iommi. There's audio and video footage of this on the Rolling Stones's "Rock and Roll Circus". Recorded in '68, but unreleased untill the mid 90's. Kept in the can because the Who BLOW THE STONES OFF THE STAGE! at their own show.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 33 (view)

Cover better than original? (Boys of Summer)
Posted: 7/31/2007 9:09:40 AM
What about the many Dylan covers? The Byrd's "Mr./ Tamborine Man", Hendrix's "All Along the watch Tower". There's too many to list.
On a lighter note, a few years ago David Bowie attacked a young fan who said: "Nice Nirvana cover" after he played "Man Who Sold the World". True story.
 STRANGE DAYS

Boxed Sets: Love them or Hate Them
Posted: 7/30/2007 5:01:57 AM
I have many disc and lp boxed sets. I love the mass of work available in one place.
Box sets fall into two types: A) Overviews and retrospectives
B) Rarities and gems

Another reason to love them is excellent sonics. This is when labels are willing to sink some money into really good remasterings. I've heard albums reissued years after a box set's release that don't sound as good. More ten years on, the Zeppelin set still sounds good. The play order is the diamond there. I love my Yes set "Close To The Edge", but hate my new Jap. HDCD remastering. (Where the hell is Bill's powerfull snare WHACK!?!?)
All music fans should seek out the "Nuggets" Sets. It's a huge amount of great rock and roll that sadly isn't available anywhere else in 70% of the artists cases.
 STRANGE DAYS
Msg: 84 (view)

The ART on your walls... and WHY?
Posted: 7/18/2007 4:57:48 AM
Over my couch is a large print of "Daybreak" By Maxfield Parrish. (1922) It's so beautiful, I love the shading and the colours. I discovered him through his many book illistrations. Editions of Poe, Carrol, Mallory, and many others. Parrish was an American master, whose work seems to be forgotten. One of the girls who worked at the art store where I bought the print had never heard of him, or seen the image. It's a very famous image, Google it- I'll bet you've seen it before. She had an art degree too! What a shame.
I also have several group of Seven prints: Three Harris, One Jackson. Upstairs is a large "Waterlilys" print I haven't hung yet.
Art is relaxing and easy on the eyes, and ALWAYS worth the money.
 strange days
Msg: 14 (view)

Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 6/25/2007 9:38:06 AM
Another point in the cd vs. lp debate:
Lp's are about 42-45 min. in length, just the right amount of time for listening. Cd's are TOO LONG! Think how amazing your favorite cd's would be with only the best 8 or 10 songs. Not 17 songs. Cut the filler. Just more proof that in years past the music was important a coherent piece. Artists thought about play order and flow. Not how many potential singles they could cram into one package.
To me, everytime I hear; "Time", or "Money" on rock radio it sounds funny on it's own. Why? Because "Dark Side of the Moon" Is a timeless, seamless, piece of art; not a greatest hits disc.

(END OF RANT)

((P.S., about 1 500 lp's here))
 strange days
Msg: 20 (view)

Mark Knopfler
Posted: 6/23/2007 9:03:21 PM
Mark is a great player. Strats and compressors baby!
 strange days
Msg: 20 (view)

The Last Waltz...
Posted: 6/22/2007 4:48:00 AM
If you have the new remastered version of the film- Watch Neil Young as he steps up to the mic before "Helpless". He has a HUGE chunk of coke stuck to his nose. For the first few bars the entire band and Neil himself are way out of time. I love the movie, but the new cd box set that came out when the remastered movie did holds a special place in my collection.
 strange days

Mexican vs. American Fenders
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:57:26 AM
-LATE-

My Jagmaster is one of the Vista series MIJ Squires. They were made in the same factory as the higher-end Jap stuff. Are you familiar w/ those? Real steals. It is a great guitar. Stock.

And back to the thread: A good guitar is a good guitar. I also have a '78 Ibanez Artist, that is a little neck-heavy, but an amazing guitar. It doesn't kill every Les Paul. Let's be realistic, but it is truly in the same leauge for sound/playability. I remember LATE's comments in another thread about a 70's Ibanez he really likes. A hollowbody I think.
If you're going to buy a cheap guitar and upgrade it, buy the real thing instead. A Mex Strat w/ lace sensors or something is still a Mex. The real thing will go up in value.
 strange days

Music question
Posted: 6/16/2007 7:38:35 AM
The first of the genre, was the Moody Blues: "Days of Future Past" in 1966. It's different because the music was written together for orchestra and pop group, instead of being added after as icing. A great album- a must for any 60's music collector.
 strange days
Msg: 1 (view)

Milking their glory days...
Posted: 6/11/2007 9:23:52 AM
I have a problem w/ some of these bands who are forever on tour or such, ask huge ticket prices, and give not much in return. Aerosmith, Kiss, Stones, just to name the big hitters. These bands keep releasing repackaged "Greatest Hits" discs w/ maybe one new track. Maybe Bono should give up politics and go back to rock and roll. U2 haven't made a great album in ten years. Still they tour...
Anyone else had enough?
 strange days
Msg: 132 (view)

Things I've learned while I was drunk....
Posted: 6/8/2007 10:07:55 AM
"Dead is the drunkest you can get..."- The Rheostatics
 strange days
Msg: 11 (view)

Clapton
Posted: 6/8/2007 9:36:04 AM
I love the "Rainbow Concert"! Clapton, Townsead,Windwood, Wood, Gretch, Did I miss anyone? What a show! Clapton is on FIRE in his first show in two or more years. Right from the first note of "Layla", Clapton shows that he's still in control in a way few players can ever dream to play a guitar.
 strange days
Msg: 3 (view)

Mexican vs. American Fenders
Posted: 6/8/2007 9:29:02 AM
I agree about the Mex. basses, have a J that I love. The guitars, are another matter. The Am. guitars are the best sounding/playing. The Standard series are great, the custom-shop stuff, amazing.
Try some Jap. guitars if you can find them. They are some of the nicest guitars I've ever played. I have a Squire Japan Jagmaster that outplays many much more expensive axes.
 strange days
Msg: 2228 (view)

The guitar player's thread
Posted: 5/26/2007 8:04:00 PM
Zackk's "No More Tears" lead tone is a Boss SD-1 into Marshalls. Another secret: Like Slash's tone but don't wanna shell out the big amp for his sig. amp? Find a used Marshall Jubile head. Exactly the same circuit, different box.
 strange days
Msg: 2 (view)

Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 4:48:40 AM
Pedal junkie here...
There's soooo many choices. The TS-8, TS-9, are both great pedals with great tone, but not much gain. SRV used them over a Fender amp like yours. For half the price check out the Boss SD-1. Little different sound with more gain. Great pedal for rock and blues. For a harder edge try the Boss DS-1. That pedal takes alot of badmouthing because people use it maxed out in front of a crap SS amp. In front of a tube amp clean almost breaking up, the DS-1 is magic. Satriani among other like this tone. My personal fav is the EH Big Muff. It's fuzz, not distortion and is creamy-riffic! Santana, Black Sabbath, and nearly every 60's and 70's rock band used one. Great on a bass too. (Ask Sir Paul) That screaming chain-saw gain on Weezer and Smashing Pumkins albums is a Big Muff as well. Stay away from anything digital. In front of a good tube amp, analog pedals are unbeatable for tone.
For delays, I'd by a Boss DD3, or DD6. No stupid menus or settings, KNOBS! Easy to get the sound you want. Versitle without alot of features you'd never use. Plus Boss duriability. Something as sensitive as a delay needs to be in a strong box.
 strange days
Msg: 2210 (view)

Posted: 5/20/2007 11:15:21 PM
Hey JackBNimble, check out the Fender Pro jr. All tube, about 20w but very loud. 1X10 speaker, line out, only a volume and a tone. EL84's, very un-Fender sound. It sounds WAY better than the crappy sounding (but well-selling) Deville/Deluxe series. That "Fat" switch should be relabeled: "Mud". Push this little wonder w/ a Big Muff or DS-1 for killer tone. Love mine.
 strange days
Msg: 6 (view)

The Mono Mix,,,
Posted: 5/10/2007 4:45:35 AM
The Axis lp was re-released in mono a few years ago by Sundazed Records. Mikey Fermer, the Stereophile magazine analog guy, said it was awesome. Expect to pay between $40- $70 for it. I truely feel, as I've mentioned in another thread, that the mono lp's of "Hard Day's Night", and "Rubber Soul" are much better. The Beatles themselves would spend alot of time on the mono mixes because they knew that that's how 90% of their fans would hear them. Stereo playpack systems were for well-heeled audiophiles who could afford Mac amps, or could build their own. George Martin would do the stereo mixes himself after the fact.
 strange days

The Mono Mix,,,
Posted: 5/8/2007 4:41:06 AM
The Toshiba Apple Japan issues of the mono Beatles are the orginal (True) mon0 mixes. I too have encounted stereo mixed into mono.

A few of my other favorite mono lp's: Buffalo Sprinfield (Again) - Buffalo Springfield
Serealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn- Pink Floyd (Also available in mono on disc)
 weird and artsy

the beatles: a simple question...
Posted: 9/7/2006 4:41:27 AM
I have mono editions (lp) of all the beatles stuff. The sound and mixes are MUCH better! It's because, as mentioned formally, few people had stereo players then and therefore the mono mixes were how the majority of fans heard the music at home or on am radio. Fm radio was only for classical music at that point. The Beatles and George Martin spent at least twice the time on the mono mixes for those reasons. Martin did the stereo mixes himself and without as much attention to detail.
If you ever get the chance, listen to "Surrealistic Pillow" By Jefferson Airplane, or "Axis: Bold As Love" In mono. You'll be surprised.
I'm not susgestion going backwards in musical reproduction/playback, but it might open your eyes a little.
 weird and artsy
Msg: 42 (view)

the Audiophile forum.......for those who like a good home stereo
Posted: 9/5/2006 8:02:26 AM
NOTE: NAD stuff sounds better with the "Soft clipping" Function off. Slightly less compressed and open. Totally safe for speakers unless you're a power junkie. Amps like Harmon Kardon and NAD are hight current, not high volume/power amps.
I have $10 000 in Linn equipment. sounds great, but I'm listening alot more to my 60's Dynaco Stereo 70 and Klipshhorns than the big system. It's more real and musical. Dispite the many "Shortcomings" of tubes alot of modern audiophiles believe in.
Great thread, keep it up guys.

TUBES AND LP'S FOREVER!!
 weird and artsy
Msg: 30 (view)

If you could play any role in a movie or tv series... Who would it be ?
Posted: 7/27/2006 6:50:36 AM
Special Agent Cooper.
 weird and artsy
Msg: 1719 (view)

Posted: 7/22/2006 6:31:39 AM
Newest Gear:A 90's reissue Danelectro u2. Really light, small comfortable neck, snappy response. It feels like a toy and is alot of fun to play.
 weird and artsy
Msg: 12 (view)

Favorite Literary Quotes
Posted: 6/2/2006 4:56:56 AM
" 'Just the place to bury a crock of gold,' Said Sebastian. 'I should like to bury something precious in every place that I've been happy and then, when I'm old and ulgy and miserable, I could come back and dig it up and remember.' "
-"Brideshead Revisited" By Evelyn Waugh

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson (R.I.P. Gonzo, you're sadly missed)
 weird and artsy

Bumper Stickers
Posted: 3/10/2006 4:32:18 AM
I got one of those "Baby On Board" signs for my car, but it blew out the window. So I guess I don't need the sign anymore....

Show ALL Forums