Show ALL Forums
Posted In Forum:

Home   login   MyForums  

Author Thread: Have any encouraging annecdotes about overcoming shyness, fear etc.?
 TangoFish
Msg: 6 (view)

Have any encouraging annecdotes about overcoming shyness, fear etc.?
Posted: 1/2/2016 11:28:01 PM
Confidence is earned

You know that moment when you look at a girl who is available, or potentially available? Yeah, the moment where you think about approaching her, but instead of walking up to her, you tell yourself that she's not available.

You make up some excuse, something to the effect of: "I'll just embarrass myself" or "she's probably already taken" or "she's got too many friends around" or "insert catastrophic event."

Yeah, that moment where you psyche yourself out. That moment that happens every time, because you won't confront your fear. And instead of doing something different, something bold, you simply drank harder to forget the notion of approaching women.

You want to know how I did it? As soon as you see a girl you want to talk to, dont think, just walk up, introduce yourself, and tell her you'd like to buy her next drink. You give yourself 5-10 seconds to think about it, guess what will happen? That's right, same pattern, same you, same failure, same excuses.

What you need to do is confront your fear, because, and I reiterate - confidence is earned.

Note to forum regulars: I'll be gone for a month or more, on to the next phase of this tedious process of regeneration. If I fail to return, dont send a search party, for I'll have surely died of boredom.
 TangoFish
Msg: 10 (view)

Girl likes me but is afraid due to her depression.
Posted: 12/29/2015 6:09:21 PM
Depression is a dark pit, its a cell designed for one. You can't join her, you can't bail her out, you can only visit her from outside the cell.

That's what depression is like, I've only met one person who was able to visit me inside my own cell of depression.

With that said, you have to understand the limitations that a depressive has. You have to listen to her. Tell what you genuinely feel for her, and let her make a decision or think about it. Offer friendship above all else and let the rest come with time.

You're both very young, and we all must find ourselves early in life through to adulthood. This process is hard enough for a well adjusted person, the process is infinitely more difficult if you suffer from mental illness.

Whatever you do, don't tell her that you know how she feels because you suffer from depression yourself. It won't serve you to try to relate, you need to understand the subjective nature of this illness. And know this, if you feel capable of being in a relationship, and she doesn't. I assure you that she suffers to extents that you can't comprehend.

To reiterate:

Offer friendship, offer support, and let the development of more come naturally.
 TangoFish
Msg: 27 (view)

Has online dating improved over the years?
Posted: 12/28/2015 11:54:59 PM
That's because you're a female. Do you have any idea what it takes as a male to get any attention? Because I do, I have to use pictures of my cat Bosco as a ploy to get messages. The worst part is that I never got permission from Bosco, mainly because he's a cat and can't comprehend English, or plenty of fish, he does however understand tuna fish.

I forgot what I was a talking about, what was the topc?
 TangoFish
Msg: 459 (view)

VolkanoKing here-this forum is effed up
Posted: 12/27/2015 1:02:05 AM
Seems to be a goal to hit all the regular posters now, even though it started out as revenge, but the concept originating from VK and crew.

So what we got now is just random profile assassinations, no real mystery as to why they get popped. It's not for conduct anymore, so we can all stop wondering why people like Eric got hit.
 TangoFish
Msg: 41 (view)

The Disposable Generation of relationships...Your thoughts?
Posted: 12/26/2015 9:50:02 PM

...................overall living a very peaceful life...........as I come to the end of life as I know it. I will retire in the next year or two

31 is a bit early to retire, don't you think?
 TangoFish
Msg: 93 (view)

Old, Angry, Bitter and Damaged Goods
Posted: 12/26/2015 9:15:20 PM
^^

You losing your mind for the holidays too? Or did you get into the ADD medication and forget to share with me? Lol
 TangoFish
Msg: 91 (view)

Old, Angry, Bitter and Damaged Goods
Posted: 12/26/2015 8:53:05 PM
Dont count Sig Freud out, he is to psychology as Einstein is to physics. Ego, ID and superego is basically E=MC2.

I used to think old Freud was a crazed lunatic. Then I reflected, and oh man. Development, especially childhood and adolescence, the potential for pathological disorder is far greater than any potential to change in adulthood.

I mean I always knew I was strange, but THIS strange. I'm just beginning to understand how messed up I am. And believe me, I draw very little comfort from the reality I find myself in.
 TangoFish
Msg: 151 (view)

pof is just a waste of time
Posted: 12/22/2015 10:12:13 PM
Always mind the STDs
 TangoFish
Msg: 7 (view)

Has online dating improved over the years?
Posted: 12/22/2015 7:27:23 PM
I've noticed that there seems to be a collective consciousness with social media. Some type of sociological progression or regression. I dont really know how the process initiates. Most notably, the old Yahoo/AOL chat rooms had a rise and fall, and there were some annoyances that developed, but the concept kind of just died out and faded away, even though chatting in a group in real time seems a lot more ideal than Facebook today.

So what happened to online dating? It's not in good shape, and getting worse... that's for sure. I've noted the problems in other threads so I dont feel like reiterating.

But yeah, you figured it out man, if you're an average to below average guy, you're definitely not going to see responses from the vast majority of the women you message. If you spoke to those same women in reality you would improve for chances by 100%, if you spoke to the same women with confidence in reality you'd increase your chances by 500%.

Way I see it , you got two options. You can complain, or you can do something productive. Easy way is to complain and validate your frustration so you don't have to improve yourself.

Also:

Your screen name is so cheesy it actually registered as pain when I read it.
 TangoFish
Msg: 118 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/22/2015 4:26:34 PM

TrvstInKarma: Please don't post naked pictures of yourself on the Internet ever.

I agree, you should send them to my inbox instead.
 TangoFish
Msg: 25 (view)

Confused
Posted: 12/21/2015 7:52:26 PM
Haha, that's exactly how I feel about dating. My pessimism will be the death of me.
 TangoFish
Msg: 101 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/21/2015 7:45:49 PM

those are extremely HARD 30 minutes

Difficulty is relative I imagine. You get out of fitness, what you put in. People with a slower metabolism won't really benefit from 30 minutes a day, still it's better than nothing.

It takes both diet and exercise go really get anything remarkable from exercise. I used to look like I was dying of starvation, then I found the gym and fixed that issue despite my ultra fast metabolism.

See I have the opposite problem as a person with a slow metabolism that loves to eat. I have a fast metabolism and I hate to eat, so I have to force myself to eat a lot of food, then I have to break myself off in the gym to put on muscle.

she'll put up with my sagging gut

I thought you were into the doughboys? Or is my memory not serving?
 TangoFish

Perfect number of messages before a date
Posted: 12/20/2015 12:00:18 AM
Oh lol, I thought you were blatantly ignoring me on purpose. And oh my gooses do I ever hate that.

Edit:

Cool, so what's going on? You as bored as I am? Because I'm pretty bored.
 TangoFish
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 12/19/2015 11:07:34 PM
Your phone probably has a text message or three.
 TangoFish
Msg: 2 (view)

Posted: 12/19/2015 10:27:35 PM
No, people are drastically different in this respect, you kind of have to find the rhythm naturally through the conversation. Which can be especially difficult in messages. Some women are reserved and demand time to get to know you, others will bore easily of conversation. Still, there is really no harm in saying something to the effect of "whenever you're comfortable in meeting, I'd be happy to meet you for coffee, and I'm buying"

That's something that works for me, it's assertive, not aggressive, and it's just coffee so it's not intimidating.
 TangoFish

Posted: 12/19/2015 10:21:50 PM
Yeah, that was a poor choice of words. What I mean is I'll never sacrifice myself, for a relationship. To extend myself to the point that it becomes me. Rather I will be me, and the relationship will be an extension of myself. That's what I meant to say, but I said I wouldn't put my heart in because that is kind of a term I decided to use that explains that concept. I'll always use my heart, I dont think I'm even capable of operating without it to be perfectly honest.
 TangoFish
Msg: 92 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/19/2015 10:05:03 PM
Of course you hate cardio, everyone hates cardio, even the people who say they like it hate it. I hate everything about weight training, especially since my back is fused, I have to put even more pain in, and I have to modify my routine to get around it.

It's like anything else in life that sucks - college, work, exercise, finding a relationship, anything that allows for positive growth. It all comes with a special kind of hardship. Even military service, as much as that sucked, it changed me for the better, but it was hell every day.

And nobody will ever know till they get the reward after putting themselves through college to earn a grad degree, or getting the body they never knew they could have, or finding the perfect person, or enduring hell so that almost any hardship in life seems manageable.

And for me, I know that I'll never give myself an excuse. Hate it, don't like it, whatever, being uncomfortable stopped bothering me a long time ago.

It's cool that those 30 minute exercise videos worked for you though. You're the only person I've known who has ever said that though. Also, I looked like garbage till I was about 23, so I know the feeling of being the ugly duckling, good times.
 TangoFish
Msg: 5 (view)

Posted: 12/19/2015 9:38:11 PM
Yeah, I'll never put any kind of hope in lasting affection. I mean I believe in monogamy, I don't ever want to be that guy who sleeps around. I'll always resolve to be faithful for the time I commit, but I'll never put my heart into another relationship again.

I learned my lesson, and I feel quite relieved after accepting this reality. I'm not cynical or jaded, it's just realistic. If you're looking to fix that hole in your chest, the answer comes from within. There isn't a love powerful enough to fill that void.
 TangoFish
Msg: 892 (view)

RANT
Posted: 12/19/2015 6:21:43 PM
Have you considered the possibility that we are all really you, just different aspects of personality generated by your broken psyche?

This forum doesn't actually exist, and the reality is that you just have a really bad case of dissociative disorder.

The forums are only in your head, break free of the madness.
 TangoFish
Msg: 18 (view)

looking for love in all the wrong places
Posted: 12/19/2015 5:12:53 PM

I don't see any evidence at all, that PEOPLE as creatures have changed, even one iota, since the recording of Histories began.

They are still motivated by the exact same few drives and desires which have always characterized human behavior.

Uh?

Evolution doesn't simply concern motivation, every organism on earth is motivated by the same programming of survival and reproduction, that's just the way life operates, we happen to be social mammals. You have to observe the difference that occurs as society evolves our perception of value.

The fact that different cultures hold sacred different values is indicative of our ability to evolve.

What is your definition of evolution in context? You think evolution is contingent on what exactly? In order to meet your criteria of evolution proving to move forward?

Until the communication age, we've done fairly well adapting from a village mentality. But technology is creating a divide in our concept of community.

These days it's common to not know your neighborhood. Depression rates go up, and the false perception of connection provides by social media, while convenient is detrimental.

That is what I identified, and I suppose you misunderstood. Our biological evolution can't keep up with our technological and subsequent social evolution due to technology.
 TangoFish
Msg: 329 (view)

Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 12/19/2015 3:35:10 PM

Possibly a drunken good time=)

Are you volunteering damselfish? Because I'm in the mood for some fornication... Er, I mean fun-times.
 TangoFish
Msg: 90 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/19/2015 8:26:01 AM

Do you honestly think that reading dating profiles that say "Looking for a Tom Hardy sort" or "Love Di Caprio" don't feed into our neuroses every bit as much as the expectations women think men have?

Women can be just as vain as men, I think a lot of the topics on these forums are proof. Inevitably each topic shifts into the subject of older women desiring and/or dating younger guys.

Still, looks won't do it all. Ideally you want to be fully capable of success. I mean, the truth is that everyone is vain, if we weren't, none of us would have a problem scooping up the bottom of the barrel.

All I know is that confidence is earned, especially if you've had a tough life. In my case it started at the gym, and with a prestigious career, and then finished metamorphosis in the military.
 TangoFish
Msg: 3 (view)

Favorite and Meet me
Posted: 12/18/2015 11:15:11 PM
The meet me thing is sometimes a scam I think, that or its a bot, otherwise it works if the person is real. I've seen instances of both, the favorite thing though I dont know. I've been favored a few times, it's basically just a bookmark.
 TangoFish
Msg: 876 (view)

MILFS
Posted: 12/18/2015 11:10:21 PM
Actually it's called removing yourself from the emotional shit storm. There is no winning an argument once emotions reach a boiling point.

Speaking of milestones, it's tangofish from top to bottom because I was that bored.
 TangoFish
Msg: 14 (view)

Profile review please
Posted: 12/18/2015 11:05:57 PM
Your write up is good, the fish pic is..... weird bro.

Women are going to judge you on your physical appearance before they move on to read the profile. I mean nothing for nothing, fix your pictures and you got a chance. Otherwise it's going to a hard time of fishing.
 TangoFish
Msg: 326 (view)

Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:58:49 PM
I'll be 70 and childless, and I have absolutely no reservations. That is assuming I make it to 70.
 TangoFish

Does he really like me?
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:55:15 PM
Just go with it, nothing seems out of the ordinary. If he was honest enough to give you an option, he's going to be honest in other respects too. If he just wanted to use you, you'd have already been played.
 TangoFish
Msg: 13 (view)

Creepy or too bland? Which is it?
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:50:38 PM
"Willing to pay for outings and tongue punch your b-hole"

Most guys are only willing to cover the tab, but if you really want a women's interest - you have to go full freak.
 TangoFish
Msg: 72 (view)

Why is it so hard for single moms to date?
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:45:13 PM
^^^

Now you have to explain why you had a falling out, otherwise it leaves me to speculate. And that's just not a very humane thing to do
 TangoFish
Msg: 87 (view)

MILFS
Posted: 12/18/2015 10:10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised I'm not dead. Every 3-7 years I cast my progress in life like a snake sheds its skin; and then I embrace death through extreme drug use. Going from about 170lbs to 125, prolonged periods of psychosis, wondering if I permanently broke my brain.

Ahh, good times.

Now I get to build it back up again, and this cycle will continue until morale improves.
 TangoFish
Msg: 4 (view)

How to evaluate and follow up after first date
Posted: 12/18/2015 9:37:49 PM
Games are sooooo boring and annoying, if I could change one thing about humanity it would be the God damn mind games.

If I wanted to, being that I'm half psychopath, I could mind fvck to infinity and beyond. But I don't, because I hate cheap shots.

The point I'm trying to make is - be real with her, always. Be real with yourself, always. Ask her out, and then kiss her at the end of the date this time before she gets bored.

Confidence will always beat some mind game insecurity complex. Unless the girl is sociopathic, if that's the case then all bets are off - and you won't win for losing.
 TangoFish
Msg: 3 (view)

Endless bad experiences, can your experience trump mine?
Posted: 12/18/2015 9:07:53 PM
Yeah, I've had some horrid relationship experiences myself. Two back to back experiences. The extent of both experiences were so bad, and so amazingly complicated that if I told you about them, you...

A - Wouldn't believe me.

And

B - It would take forever to explain the circumstances that caused them to become so detrimental.

But know that I was pushed to the brink of madness. Then a plank broke and I fell through the floorboards of hopelessness, and dropped straight into a nightmarish hell that was so astonishing, I had a hard time believing it was real; even as I was suffering through it. And suffering is putting it mildly.
 TangoFish
Msg: 11 (view)

How to know..are the real or just made up
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:49:45 PM
I know I'm a fake, I stole these pictures from some guy named Steve. I mean he gave me permission to use them so I could scam women out of their time, so maybe stole isn't the right word. Borrowed? Anyway the point is, how would you like to have a 10 week conversation with me simpleK?
 TangoFish
Msg: 82 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/18/2015 5:48:04 PM
Simple answer is diet and exercise.

For men:

+++Weight training three days out of the week, don't skip +abs, and +light cardio, definitely don't skip +++leg day either. Put pain in, and get used to it. Try to not strain your vagina if you start feeling sorry for yourself

For women:

+++ Cardio, ++stairmaster, and +abs +stretch.

And the rest comes naturally.
 TangoFish
Msg: 170 (view)

Does anyone care if the profile looks that hot?
Posted: 12/17/2015 10:01:33 PM
I'm not going to argue semantics with you chromis, you can be pretentious if you want. But you're not going to derail the moral of my post.
 TangoFish
Msg: 166 (view)

Posted: 12/17/2015 9:37:39 PM
Chromis1

I'm not saying that they represent government or institution. I'm saying that as a citizen they're violating the constitutional right of free speech. Did I also mention that there would be legal ramifications? Did I say that the supreme court will get involved? No, I did not.

What I meant, is that they violate the spirit of what is protected by the constitution.

I bet you got a hardon thinking you were correcting me too. Sorry, but I do well in political science.
 TangoFish
Msg: 4 (view)

MILFS
Posted: 12/17/2015 6:43:58 PM
Yeah if it's western union, its a scam. I mean even if the circumstances were true it would be entrapment, blackmail, and over 500 dollars, which is a felony.

Oh, and you wouldn't be the defendant if it ever went to court. The scammer would be the one being prosecuted.
 TangoFish
Msg: 67 (view)

MILFS
Posted: 12/17/2015 6:41:56 PM
There are a lot of crap women too.

I got an idea, I'll make a dating website named 'crap connection'

Edit:

Never mind, apparently they already have that and its called datehookup.
 TangoFish
Msg: 408 (view)

this forum is effed up
Posted: 12/17/2015 5:43:09 PM
Was it GI Joe? Did he explain that knowing equates to half the battle? Did you join forces with him to battle the cobra commander?
 TangoFish
Msg: 12 (view)

Posted: 12/17/2015 12:42:48 PM
Are you volunteering damselfish? Because I'm looking for some intercourse... Er, I mean intermittent commitment .
 TangoFish

Posted: 12/17/2015 11:21:45 AM
The issue as I see it, is that we are looking at the problem through a psychological binary complexity. What we have is a neurological, psychological, evolutionary, technological, sociological problem of quantum complexity.

Our biological evolution can't keep up with our sociological and technological evolution. The dichotomy is havoc.

If you knew the true numbers of qualitative and quantitative statistical improbability, you would be truly disheartened.

The best advice I can offer, would be to become spiritually grounded. Without spirituality, we cannot connect to the universe, growth potential becomes stagnant, and we can be lost in an aspect of ourselves or our environment that isn't beneficial, moreover it can be severely detrimental.

Finding that connection is a lifelong process, and one that can only be achieved through a genuine adherence to virtue.
 TangoFish
Msg: 21 (view)

Is it normal for girls to be the first one to send the guy a message USA
Posted: 12/16/2015 11:20:58 PM
Yeah go ahead and write an algorithm that bridges conventional dating potential parallel with online dating potential by accounting for the affect disconnect, and male/female law of attraction interest conflict.

I can assure you that even a high functioning autistic dough boy programmer like yourself, coupled with a psychopathic, wiry framed psychology purveyor like myself, wouldn't be capable of addressing the core of what plagues online dating.

Which sucks for both of us, being that we are so afflicted with special brain wiring that make connections in reality especially tricky.
 TangoFish
Msg: 851 (view)

RANT
Posted: 12/16/2015 11:01:51 PM
Lol the subject was MILF for a while, I'm surprised that I hadn't thought to mess with the subject title.... till just now.
 TangoFish
Msg: 17 (view)

am I the only one or....
Posted: 12/16/2015 10:29:56 PM
There are a lot of problems that make online dating paradoxically more difficult than traditional methods. Beginning with the differences between how men and women come to the conclusion of attraction of the opposite sex.

Mainly that women have a difficult time assessing attraction, because confidence can't be evaluated. It is also further complicated by the fact that desirable women receive an over saturation of options, and studies show that more choices make a decision much more difficult, even to the point of deciding not to make a decision.

Men on the other hand simply need the visual component to be satisfied, there are exceptions, but it can be stated with accuracy for the majority. And I could go into further details, but I dont feel like lecturing.

Other problems include:

Too many dating websites

The websites are motivated to sell, not match. So the effort and algorithms created aren't working for the benefit of the purpose. That's not to say that they dont want successful matches for statistics++, it's just to say they're going about the execution in the wrong way.

There is a stigma associated with online dating, so that doesn't help anything.

There is also a lot of gender bias and generalizations that seem to be applied across the board without warrant. And while that may be observed and noted in traditional dating methods. It is brashly applied to the opposite sex with an unwarranted conviction.

As if they're guilty until proven innocent. And you see that same kind of disconnected hatred online in other ways, like blatant racism, or bashing without remorse in comment sections of videos, articles, forums, etc. And the same phenomenon that allows people to be so candid and callous online to one another spills into online dating.
 TangoFish
Msg: 66 (view)

How to Look Good Naked
Posted: 12/16/2015 3:11:26 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I just wear a penis tassel, clip on a couple fake nipple piercings, and complete the nude ensemble with an eye patch.
 TangoFish
Msg: 16 (view)

Let it go?
Posted: 12/16/2015 2:52:39 PM
Love can make time pass, but time is certain to make love pass.
 TangoFish
Msg: 155 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2015 10:45:06 PM
My philosophy is that everyone is equal, everyone has a right to express themselves, but nobody has a right to cause undue harm to others. When I was banned about a year ago, I knew who did it, (VK and curious) but I didn't come back and rip into them. I didn't celebrate the loss of VK, even though admittedly I was mildly amused at the irony.

Still, as much as I dislike VK, as often as I would disagree with her cynical attitude and self-righteous nature. I would much rather see her posts. Even if the post involved bragging about her seniority as a poster. I mean, hate em or love em - nobody deserves to be deleted. Everyone is an equal here, and when you silence and cast out members - you cause a great degree of undue harm.

You violate a constitutional right in the US. Easily the single most important rights we have that allows us to truly be free, is the ability to be free in our speech. And so what we have is oppression of speech, we have undue harm, we have our backs exposed, and as a community we are systematically stabbing and being stabbed in the back.

For what? Because feelings were hurt? Because someone said something that wasn't agreeable? Just know that these forums will fall, and with it we will lose our community. Everyone here is equal, everyone here has a right to express themselves.

If the people doing this can't get over themselves. Then we lose the forums, and if the idea of that brings a sense of victory. That might be something to take a personal look at, because there is nothing more cowardly. The act of dismantling a community for personal satisfaction. If that's the case, then I feel bad for anyone who would, how miserable and lonely a life they must lead.
 TangoFish
Msg: 807 (view)

i'm shakin' it over here
Posted: 12/15/2015 6:17:36 PM

Are the boys weenie waving again?

Nobody weenie waves anymore, we do the helicopter d!ick.
 TangoFish
Msg: 145 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2015 5:31:32 PM
Adherence doesn't require perfection, you get out what you put in. The most important part is that you learn to be honest with yourself first, then the rest comes intuitively. Not at all easily, but intuitively nonetheless.

Also, everyone doing the same thing isn't an excuse to follow suit. If you want an advantage in life, be different.

Edit:

Kj521

I hear cougars do quite well if they incorporate bikini pictures. It'd be a lot easier than propositioning jj for networking a date.

TangoFish
Msg: 143 (view)

Posted: 12/15/2015 4:59:38 PM
The only way to be courageous, is to be yourself, and to be honest.

Comfort comes at a cost, we will defend our comfort zone to infinitum; and we will defend this at detriment to the most admirable virtues. Honesty, humility, honor, compassion, loyalty. These values will set you free, but require a great degree of courage, and resolve therein.

That is the source of what creates great character, and instills wisdom beyond what could otherwise be learned without adherence to the abovementioned principles.

If you want courage, do not ask it of others, but earn it yourself; and I assure you that once you achieve this, no bully will ever be able to break your spirit, you will achieve a mental strength beyond imaginative capacity.

Show ALL Forums